Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, i know. This is Reuters, but what do you all make of this in the long term?

They wrote off our Model Y, right at peak value, and paid peak value :) Tesla insurance won't do that, but it is a lower rate.

Per a qualified body shop in Tempe, there were 2 sensitive spots on each side - right behind the front tire, and in front of the rear tires. A strike there can cripple these but more so on the driver's side with power cables which introduce safety concerns and liability in the repair.

Ours was an early Y (no single rear castings that I'm aware of), so don't know how the new castings hold up today, but likely this was precisely an example of what Tesla meant in using repair cost to influence product design (in addition to FSD/safety to prevent it). The best accident is no accident (followed by the "close calls" just for the data).

One cost problem I saw was that their parts were not kitted for an efficient rear hatch replacement (different MYP). That $10K process involved a $1K hatch then the body shop had to swap all other parts from the old hatch, including the glass. Then there are 11 versions of white paint out there (this could be the bumpers or whole cars, not positive). So it needed paint and blending, plus we pulled the bumper on ours to also paint it (discolored bumpers are common).

So in order to get that improved, lots would need to change on the spares and kitting side, along with tighter specs on bumper and body paint IMO. Oh, it was slow-mo backed into a tree that was leaning out into the parking lot. Crumpled the spoiler and area was all, frame was fine. It's nicer now actually, I don't know how they matched the paint so well. It was feathered into the rear QPs extremely well, better than new.

Oohhhh Q3, my bad
wait my bad - Q3? Let me look for Q4.

Edit: I guess this was what I heard. Someone asking if Tesla would take price cuts to drive demand (asking this just after Tesla did just that).

1674938137557.png

Last edited:
Love the growth in chargers, makes it look like all other charging networks don't care.

I think what the past few years have proved is that Elon welds more power than they can imagine, and all the character assassination attempt on him bounced off him like rocks hitting a wall. His influence has gotten only stronger, followers deeply more entrenched.

This reminds me of Trump, when after 4 years of questionable performance, character assassination attempts, and relentless attacks daily, he ended up with the most republican votes in US history.
I'm not sure that's a parallel that many of us find reassuring.

First time I've come across GF Value. It agrees with my assessment of TSLA being slightly overvalued when it reached the ATH, but not by much (a better way of thinking about it is that TSLA got ahead of itself by a few months), and my current guess that the share price should be in the $400-600 range, increasing by about 40% a year (slowly decreasing)

GF Value is described in Behind the Numbers: The GF Val - GuruFocus.com, it seems that the actual numbers and method of computing the chart is opaque.

The page at GuruFocus for TSLA is Tesla (TSLA) GF Value

Last edited:
First time I've come across GF Value. It agrees with my assessment of TSLA being slightly overvalued when it reached the ATH, but not by much (a better way of thinking about it is that TSLA got ahead of itself by a few months), and my current guess that the share price should be in the $400-600 range, increasing by about 40% a year (slowly decreasing)

GF Value is described in Behind the Numbers: The GF Val - GuruFocus.com, it seems that the actual numbers and method of computing the chart is opaque.

The page at GuruFocus for TSLA is Tesla (TSLA) GF Value
Interestingly revenues are way up despite much lower stock price c/w all time high.

Anecdotal, but we're having a slightly painful delivery process with my wife's new MYLR, going very slow. I was at Tesla yesterday (for getting winter wheels fitted to my MXP) and I spoke to the sales guy. He said they're totally overwhelmed with interest and orders since the price-cuts
Similar (anecdotal) story from my brother-in-law when picking up their new MYLR (partly my fault :p) a week ago. He asked the rep at the store and they said orders were up around 500%.

Evidently they got it so fast because it matched something already in inventory. They were prepared and expecting to wait at least into February, but I think it's easy to lose sight of how people actually buy (or have bought) cars and having stock on hand is not the negative some make it out to be.

Similar (anecdotal) story from my brother-in-law when picking up their new MYLR (partly my fault :p) a week ago. He asked the rep at the store and they said orders were up around 500%.

Evidently they got it so fast because it matched something already in inventory. They were prepared and expecting to wait at least into February, but I think it's easy to lose sight of how people actually buy (or have bought) cars and having stock on hand is not the negative some make it out to be.
Q1 is normally the slowest quarter for auto sales isn’t it? Tesla is getting set up for an amazing quarter aren’t they?

Too late to get into TSLA right now? Feel like I missed the boat with this run up. I need a few days for settled cash to be available and I'm a little worried that I will have really missed my opportunity by late next week.

Under $200 is a good entry point. Anything more than that next week will likely trigger an adjustment to under $200 before the stock is in shape for the next run up.

Too late to get into TSLA right now? Feel like I missed the boat with this run up. I need a few days for settled cash to be available and I'm a little worried that I will have really missed my opportunity by late next week.

Gave you a disagree. Unless you are a short term trader I would say any entry point below ATH is going to give great returns over the coming years. Tesla is just getting started. Yes it is extremely undervalued now based on the future outlook and continued execution, but even $250 is ridiculously undervalued for what is to come.

Buy TSLA anytime you have investment funds available. Don't worry about the price. That is my personal feeling not advice.

Edit: typos

Gave you a disagree. Unless you are a short term trader I would say any entry point below ATH is going to give great returns over the coming years. Tesla is just getting started. Yes it is extremely undervalued now based on the future outlook and continued execution, but even $250 is ridiculously undervalued for what is to come.

Buy TSLA anytime you have investment funds available. Don't worry about the price. That is my personal feeling not advice.

Edit: typos

I kind of feel the same way. Have some {Mod: other stuff that doesn't belong in this thread}. Anyway, definitely looking to put anything I can into TSLA. Might regret it....

I kind of feel the same way. Have some {Mod: other stuff that doesn't belong in this thread}. Anyway, definitely looking to put anything I can into TSLA. Might regret it....

The only thing I regret is selling too many puts last year and losing shares. I was naive and it's my own fault. No regrets on any long term holdings here. What other company could possibly even come close to this kind of world changing positive outlook, talent and execution?

TSLA made extremely powerful statement this last week by its price action: up 33.34% in a week with 96% increase in volume
my personal translation of last week TSLA price action : " i am done going down for good and am starting a brand new multi-year run"
very high probability that we will not see these prices ever again
just my personal opinion
not financial advice