Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've an interesting story on Supercharger buildout, Cybertruck and GigaTexas.

Started driving Uber earlier this week because our Airbnb guests in Sedona, AZ, have been more frequently requesting the service. Being an isolated, expensive little enclave with minimal public transportation infrastructure and, from what I hear, poor ride-share reliability, I figured I'd at least offer Uber rides to our guests upon request for a better customer experience when I'm at the property. Plus, maybe I'll sell a Tesla or two in the process.

So I picked up a gentleman at his hotel yesterday here in Flagstaff, AZ, (I spend most of my time at our place in Flagstaff) to deliver him to the airport. He greeted me with a big smile, cheerfully saying how happy he was to see a Tesla Uber. Explained to me he's been an employee of Tesla since 2016, started in sales/delivery, but now works in the Supercharger division. He was in town for a Tesla Supercharger conference with about 30 other attendees (why they were in Flagstaff of all places I've no idea, but the ride was only 10 minutes and I wanted him to keep talking). He said the conference was a planning committee on how to "double" (yes he said double) Supercharger capacity in the next 18 months or so. I didn't ask him to clarify whether he meant just the lower 48 states of the U.S. or the world or what, but he said with how many Teslas Tesla has been selling, they need to expand the Supercharger network and fast. Seems impossible to me, but I'm just reporting what he said.

Two weeks ago he was at GigaTexas. Said 50% of the factory is dedicated to Cybertruck production. That's what he said so I'm reporting it here. He also said (and I was able to confirm this here; you'll see cool images of the pre-built charging stalls) a new 20 stall Supercharger site was likely to come online here in Flagstaff today (2/10/22), the final driveway concrete was poured yesterday, with a pull-through for Cybertrucks towing trailers! I've never seen a Supercharger site with pull-throughs for trailers. Does this also mean there is a Megacharger at this site?? Can Cybertruck use a Supercharger as well as a Megacharger? I will try to get over there today to check it out and report back.

Finally, as he was getting out, he said Tesla's got a lot on its plate, but "We feel like 2023 is going to be the big year for Tesla." Again, who knows what that means exactly, but as a Tesla bull I interpret that statement with happy green dollar signs in my cartoon eyeballs. I'm really biased here and want to see the SP at +$420 ASAP. Hope springs eternal...

Also, the guy looked healthy, happy, well-rested and fit. That is important to me as an investor. I like to see happy, healthy employees because most of the time that translates into productive, loyal employees. Just further bolsters my investment thesis. If the guy was all gloomy, depressed and fat, that would bother me a bit--yeah yeah, one data point, I know, but still, it matters, no matter how insignificant the point. I feel like most of the Tesla employees I interact with seem relatively healthy, happy and well-rested. You can tell when people aren't. Healthy happy people are productive people, whatever they end up doing in life.

Sadly, this post leaves us with way more questions than answers, but I figured I'd share this anyway. Again, the ride was only 10 minutes and I wanted him to spill as many beans as possible.

p.s. I didn't know this, but my 2020 Model Y's rear seats recline a little! I inspected the car at the end of the night and noticed the rear seat backs didn't match. I'm sure the Tesla employee, who also has a Tesla, knew about this little trick. A lucky, serendipitous experience all around.

p.p.s. I've only given 28 rides so far, but half the people comment how they've never been in a Tesla and how cool it is. The other half said nothing about the car, but no negative comments yet. We have university in town, and most of my rides have been to college students thus far. Pretty sure the guy with the late model GMC diesel pickup that needed to be fetched from the body shop is going to talk to his wife about Tesla, he was really impressed with car, had lots of questions, and I was able to give him a real good run down of the vehicle's many functions because we were stopped at a train crossing for like five whole minutes.
Dude, you’re famous! This post was dissected on Tesla Daily tonight!

White House aides asked Elon Musk for help with Biden climate goal

Senior White House officials asked Elon Musk during a private meeting last month for Tesla to make its extensive charging network available for use by other electric vehicles, seeking to enlist the bombastic billionaire in their efforts to push along a clean energy revolution, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting.

John Podesta and Mitch Landrieu, two top aides tasked with implementing the sprawling clean energy packages approved by Congress earlier in President Biden’s term, met with Musk and other Tesla officials at the company’s D.C. office on Jan. 27. Tesla officials expressed openness toward working with the administration on doing more to open its charging networks but made no firm commitments, the people said.
….
The meeting put administration officials in the potentially uncomfortable position of asking Musk — who has repeatedly sparred with Biden and other top Democrats, and whose rocket business, SpaceX, is a major contractor with NASA — for help making progress on its goal of building a national network of 500,000 electric vehicle chargers. Biden has at points declined to cite Tesla as an important U.S. automaker because of its resistance to unionization efforts, eliciting rebukes from the Tesla CEO.

…..

Dude, you’re famous! This post was dissected on Tesla Daily tonight!

Dude! This implies ~2.1M production in 2023, and ~3.3M in 2024 (at a growth rate of 58.75%) :D

3thbib.jpg

Hummer bummer.

If you want an EV that makes sense, you should not buy the GMC Hummer EV. If you want an EV that’s affordable, you should not buy the GMC Hummer EV. If you want an EV that’s efficient or luxurious, you should not buy the GMC Hummer EV.
Is there any reason to spend $110,000 on this ghastly behemoth? I spent a week trying to figure it out, and frankly, I’m still left wondering.

[Off Road Mode] enables smooth power delivery and sets the rear wheels to turn out of phase with the front for increased maneuverability. The only bummer here is it also adds a fake engine noise. … At least give me the option to turn that fake stuff off.

GMC has reached the point of diminishing returns when it comes to battery size and weight. It’s some 2,000 pounds or so heavier than the Rivian R1T, thanks to that giant battery, but doesn’t even return significantly more range.
….
It’s tough to justify spending $110,000, including $1,595 for delivery, on an EV that is so grossly inefficient.

Hummer bummer.

If you want an EV that makes sense, you should not buy the GMC Hummer EV. If you want an EV that’s affordable, you should not buy the GMC Hummer EV. If you want an EV that’s efficient or luxurious, you should not buy the GMC Hummer EV.
Is there any reason to spend $110,000 on this ghastly behemoth? I spent a week trying to figure it out, and frankly, I’m still left wondering.

[Off Road Mode] enables smooth power delivery and sets the rear wheels to turn out of phase with the front for increased maneuverability. The only bummer here is it also adds a fake engine noise. … At least give me the option to turn that fake stuff off.

GMC has reached the point of diminishing returns when it comes to battery size and weight. It’s some 2,000 pounds or so heavier than the Rivian R1T, thanks to that giant battery, but doesn’t even return significantly more range.
….
It’s tough to justify spending $110,000, including $1,595 for delivery, on an EV that is so grossly inefficient.
This thing is an obscenity, an abomination. I'm already concerned that 80% of Cybertrucks will be used primarily for grocery runs and soccer kid transport, when a much more efficient M3 or MY would suffice. But this is off the charts, and subverts the mission.

Let's keep our eyes on the prize, people.

Maybe Tesla's new hotshot lawyer has his first case.

One of Tesla’s biggest critics is funding a Super Bowl ad against it

California tech entrepreneur Dan O’Dowd, who has already poured millions of his own money into a campaign to get Tesla’s Full Self-Driving tech banned from public roads, is funding a Super Bowl commercial that will play in D.C. and a handful of state capitals, including Austin, Tallahassee, Albany, Atlanta and Sacramento.

The ad shows a Tesla Model 3 that O’Dowd says has Full Self-Driving turned on running into a child-sized mannequin, crossing over the centerline into oncoming traffic, driving past “do not enter” signs, passing a school bus with its flashing stop lights on and hitting a stroller in the road.

California tech entrepreneur Dan O’Dowd, who has already poured millions of his own money into a campaign to get Tesla’s Full Self-Driving tech banned from public roads, is funding a Super Bowl commercial that will play in D.C. and a handful of state capitals, including Austin, Tallahassee, Albany, Atlanta and Sacramento.

The ad shows a Tesla Model 3 that O’Dowd says has Full Self-Driving turned on running into a child-sized mannequin, crossing over the centerline into oncoming traffic, driving past “do not enter” signs, passing a school bus with its flashing stop lights on and hitting a stroller in the road.
Hey, how did O'Dowd hack into my FSD recordings?

The elections are over, his protected status by "running" for office should be over as well. Time to sue this dolt into oblivion.

This thing is an obscenity, an abomination. I'm already concerned that 80% of Cybertrucks will be used primarily for grocery runs and soccer kid transport,
That's what 80% of trucks are used for now. I don't see that changing. The 3 and Y are great, but they don't have the same utility--even if it's only used a few times a year.

Tesla's just launched a new online configurator for Solar Panels and Solar Roof. It's got some interesting new features, including telling you how many of your neighbors have Tesla Solar, recommended "current needs" and "future needs" system sizes, and an estimate of your savings over 25 years: