Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if this is the killer lawyer they were looking for.

Interesting pick.

Brandon Ehrhart: 20+ years at DISH Network/EchoStar before joining Tesla, pretty much his whole career (LinkedIn)

1676066839719.png

Could be handpicked by Elon, given the history of Dish Network vs SpaceX/Starlink legal tussles going back at least 2016 (SpaceNews: Dish Network battles OneWeb and SpaceX; Reddit thread), as recently as last year (Reddit: Starlink asking for help against Dish; Dish and Viasat’s fight against Starlink satellite deployment), and last month (Dish Network, Environmental Group Sue to Stop SpaceX's Second-Gen Starlink).

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but I came across an article that shows a BMW next gen car (iX2) using a Tesla charger - does this mean BMW is converting, or...?
The top adapter that the BMW is using in the picture appears to be a CCS2 connection, I live in the USA so I dont know for sure though but this picture makes me believe that it isn't using the NACS tesla plug:
questions-to-american-model-3-drivers-do-you-think-it-was-v0-1w4uzwdycl591.jpg

This is new - Hyundai has started a monthly subscription service for two of their EVs. From the info provided it sounds like a marketing initiative to get new customers. But there is no time limit on the subscription period after the initial 28 days.
Just another way to get the $7500 tax credit with no restrictions. These vehicles would be considered commercial vehicles and would fall under the section of the law that will allow whoever is renting out the car to collect the tax credit.

This is new - Hyundai has started a monthly subscription service for two of their EVs. From the info provided it sounds like a marketing initiative to get new customers. But there is no time limit on the subscription period after the initial 28 days.
I was a tiny bit tempted to do this while I wait for our Cybertruck, but then I read: $700/ month to rent a Hyundai?

I think I’ll drive my Outback for another year and put $650/ month into my Cybertruck savings account.

How long depends. It doesn't take that much to make a big difference.
For Maine, see my post here for the current state of CCS (not good) and where it could be for coverage and density by mid 2024 (better than Tesla):
View attachment 905874
(It includes some guesses on routes where the plan is just for a number of chargers).
As an enabler for CCS EVs the intended deployments are huge.
Currently, the Tesla coverage is much better, but if things go to plan, the only area missing will be the west where Tesla has Bethel.
And Tesla doesn't have a service center here.

Here's Tesla: (The red dot at the top is in Canada, not Maine).
View attachment 905872

Now what happens if this repeats in states across the USA? How big is the moat than?
Cool maps - thank you for providing!
It is possible, if all this gets planned (IIRC NEVI states chargers every 50 miles, on interstates, yes?), bidded out according to proper federal and state requirements, and actually built, and actually maintained well - then we would have a workable national-scale charging network that is non-proprietary, alongside Tesla's well-filled-in network which will be growing during all that waiting/construction time and which already serves the majority of American EVs.
That would be amazingly awesome and as an American taxpayer I would applaud. I would certainly use some of these NEVI stations if they are more convenient to my routes.
It seems to me that this would reduce the role of the SC network from a great Moat to a simple profit-maker for Tesla. Not a terrible thing for Tesla, and certainly a win for the mission. Long term, if the NEVI stations pull away too much traffic, Tesla can shut down underperforming SC stations.
Even longer term, Tesla might then be forced to compete on things like: vehicle price, on-road performance, range, safety record, software / automation, massive scaling, dealer-free purchase, and features of its cars. If only we knew how they stacked up against the competition in those areas ;)
(In addition, perhaps they will provide Megapacks to back up a few of those NEVI stations.)

Reactions: ccook
I’ve done OK, but no one is lauding my life achievements, unlike what people do to Woz. And no one in these threads said he is a has been, that’s a straw man. Indeed I said that without Jobs he would just be a random competent engineer, and if you look at his work, that’s pretty much what he is. He just happens to have celebrity status for being so rich and being a founder of Apple.

I would say Wozniak is famous for being a founder of Apple and his relative lack of wealth (not for being "so rich"). Plenty of people on this forum have a higher net worth than Wozniak. Not that it matters, but I was surprised to hear you say he was famous for being so rich.

I actually went ahead and read the Fortune article. His criticisms are fair, Elon did say a bunch of things that haven't materialized and he's holding the company, which he has bought more than one product for and has been an advocate for the company in the past, to a really high standard.

Maybe he's just being a good customer and calling out a company he buys products from for their promises?

Edit: To add, I think its better to be a critical customer than an enthusiast that never criticizes products/services a company provides. The latter are not as helpful to how better products are made, but are helpful to how they're marketed to the masses typically. It'd be helpful to see how Elon responds, if at all to customer complaints from Tesla.
Don't confuse criticism with spewing hate and venom.

Any engineer frothing in the mouth simply regurgitating that FSD - as in I-should-sleep-while-the-car-drives - is not here yet, without acknowledging the massive complexity of the problem and also without mentioning the progress made, is being very very dishonest.

Especially for someone touting to be a smart engineer with impressive past credentials, he should know that this can only be achieved as baby steps thru a slow and painful march towards the final goal of sleep-while-car-drives-anywhere-everywhere-all conditions FSD. I understand my 90 year old dad not appreciating what it takes to get there, but this guy should know.

And guess what - I suspect he knows how complex it is. He is simply being dishonest and showing faux outrage of losing $5K FSD money for someone who is presumably quite rich

Don't confuse criticism with spewing hate and venom.

Any engineer frothing in the mouth simply regurgitating that FSD - as in I-should-sleep-while-the-car-drives - is not here yet, without acknowledging the massive complexity of the problem and also without mentioning the progress made, is being very very dishonest.

Especially for someone touting to be a smart engineer with impressive past credentials, he should know that this can only be achieved as baby steps thru a slow and painful march towards the final goal of sleep-while-car-drives-anywhere-everywhere-all conditions FSD. I understand my 90 year old dad not appreciating what it takes to get there, but this guy should know.

And guess what - I suspect he knows how complex it is. He is simply being dishonest and showing faux outrage of losing $5K FSD money for someone who is presumably quite rich

Dunno - with terms used like "frothing in the mouth", I would assume you mean he hates FSD and Elon. Wouldn't he get rid of the Tesla products/services from his house and be anti-Tesla-anon/TSLAQ, if that were true?