Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Brazilian grid is actually quite good, and solar and wind are increasingly running on the grid. The hydro-wind-solar combo is well placed for Brazil as it means that water can be husbanded more carefully. This is important given the droughts that have affected Brazil hydro output. The Chinese are pushing heavily into Brazil renewables & mining.

The biomass energy you refer to is not likely to grow any more (imho), though I'd be interested to hear local opinions on that re the ethanol blending and sugar cane plantation growth.

For English language source the Wiki is not bad:
The Chinese role is growing and quite well regarded, partly because Brazil has a balance oof payments with China that is positive:

Much of this, coupled with major improvements in several major city electrical services, is leading to stability improvement and resilience improvements,

It is thus not surprising that auto companies such as JAC, BYD and Chery all sell BEV's in Brazil, with JAC having the broadest lineup. The growth in Bus and truck electrification is also growing.

As with numerous other countries China is the leading non-local force for energy infrastructure modernization in general and wind and solar in particular. Some major grid improvement around the world have been facilitated by State Grid and other Chinese companies.

That kind of development also sets a sound stage for Tesla, in particular for Superchargers, Destination chargers and vehicles. Places not even imagined a few years ago are now positioned for this. Southern Africa, as well as the Americas are rapidly improving in electrical infrastructure.

I agree. For those that want to be special, there are some pretty amazing wraps and custom aftermarket paint jobs. For those that are 'serious' about being unique instead being fooled by advertising into pretending they are special, custom alterations are the only way to go... 😉
I am already thinking of "White-trashing" my Cyber(nota)truck during football season. Auburn Orange and Blue Tiger stripes. If "Skin" material ain't cheap enough I'll just Cut tiger stripes out of contact paper from the kitchen section from wal-mart. "War Damn Redneck Eagle. HEY!"

Last edited:
The Brazilian grid is actually quite good, and solar and wind are increasingly running on the grid. The hydro-wind-solar combo is well placed for Brazil as it means that water can be husbanded more carefully. This is important given the droughts that have affected Brazil hydro output. The Chinese are pushing heavily into Brazil renewables & mining.

The biomass energy you refer to is not likely to grow any more (imho), though I'd be interested to hear local opinions on that re the ethanol blending and sugar cane plantation growth.

Cane is beginning to suffer, partly due to seasonality, but also due to decreasing cost of petroleum (not so visible at the pump, but alcohol is just as expensive). The agricultural displacements for sugar cane are also beginning to be onerous. There's good data on this but goes OT quickly. FWIW the former MG cane fields I knew best are now producing some excellent wines instead, oddly enough by descendent of the original family. Such repositioning is increasing now.

1678115777122.png

Well cost reduction can either be used to generate demand or margins. Tesla did take 3hrs to explain their additional path to cost reduction.

There are 2 camps of people.

Camp 1 are people who want Tesla to release new models, new refreshes, advertise, go hardcore pr , etc to generate demand. They see lowering prices to generate demand as margin killing. By doing the above, you can maintain prices higher, however it increase cost dramatically.

Camp 2 are people who thinks cost reduction can have you lower prices to generate demand, which is what Tesla picked.

So question one should ask as an investor as Tesla cranks out more and more cars. Would a lower priced car generate millions of additional demand or would a newer car generate millions of additional demand? Elon believes affordability in a high interest rate environment or just affordability period is the limiting factor to infinite demand.
Camp 3 are me, who acknowledges Tesla has navigated the last 2 decades of insurmountable obstacles in the face of Camp 1 and all the other Camps of people who have thought and continue to think they know better even while being proven wrong. Therefore, Camp 3 just sits back, toasts up some s’mores, and watches things continue to unfold without judgement. If Camp 3 were to see actual proof that the company was doomed, proof like balance sheet weakness ala Lucid or Rivian then Camp 3 would pack up their toys and move to another stock sandbox to play. That’s what reasonable, logical people do. Everyone else complains and moans and points fingers and acts like they know better while doing nothing. Camp 3 sends those people to collect firewood at the mouth of the bear cave.

Camp 1 needs to 🤫 or show some documentation about how they’ve taken a start up of Tesla’s ilk through innumerable obstacles of decimation and transformed it into a $600B+ company with a set of impeccable financials and the very real potential of becoming a multi trillion dollar company as soon as WS is done milking the dummies. Camp 3 is waiting -

Thank you for your care-bear warning. But we're good.

If you believe your thesis, you should sell now and either find a better investment or wait until the market 'fairly prices' TSLA at whatever number you think is appropriate and buy back then. Good luck with that.

Best thing about this is, you don't have to waste your valuable time worrying about the stock price and posting questions here asking for reassurances (which, when provided, you ignore anyway).
That OP probably does not even own any shares of $TSLA anyways.

One order of magnitude is precisely 10x. The math is simple: 10 x 10 = 100.

We may, or may not, “all going to be rich soon.” I would expect 100x training speed will help FSD significantly. How that translates to achieving L4 autonomy or not remains to be seen.

GSP
Am I the only one bothered* by what we refer to "Gigafactories"... technically, a mega factory should be 1,000x the output of what they used to call a factory back in the old days, and a so-called Gigafactory should be 1,000x the output of a Mega factory...

So at that rate, shouldn't Gigafactories refer to something that produces at least hundreds of millions if not many billions of cars (or whatever in makes) every year per factory?

*Bothered that we propagate innumeracy, which, IMHO, is not, shall I say, "satisfactory".

(See what I did there?)

Last edited:
Why? It wouldn't be the first time that Q1 was lower than the previous Q4.

Not good for the "no demand" proclamations.

Especially when Q4 was already not good for earnings.

I fear the rapid earnings growth story might be over. From 100% YoY to 30% YoY earnings growth now perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, 30% earnings growth with 50% unit growth is still much better than other OEMs.

But 30% will give you a PE ratio ~ 30-40. That's a fair share price of $108-$144.

Why? It wouldn't be the first time that Q1 was lower than the previous Q4.
Not enough data to make any sort of determination in my opinion. The last day for the daily reporting countries that all have reported is day 62 which was Friday. Q4 day 62 was Thursday. The daily reporting countries weekend reporting are inconsistent at best. So not surprising that day 63 last Q had reported sales and day 64 and 65 Q1 are negligible.

Exactly-that's where I was going with that, but wasn't smart enough to finish the thought! Could also be an extra profit center for Tesla delivery centers if customers want it done at time of delivery. And if you want truly custom, have a custom wrap printed that really expresses your tastes.
At this time wrapping requires skilled installers. Until wrapping can be automated having it done at an SC would just cause headaches for Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: wipster and UncaNed
What you are seeing is likely the more continuous flow of Berlin production to Europe markets - the end of quarter flood of ships from Shanghai will be delivered in the next four weeks.
There were a couple of Q4 ships that were unable to unload in due time for cars to be delivered before eoy, this has boosted January deliveries

Doesn't account for February though, but given that 80% of deliveries are MY then I suspect that is indeed the GF4 effect

Last edited:
Am I the only one bothered* by what we refer to "Gigafactories"... technically, a mega factory should be 1,000x the output of what they used to call a factory back in the old days, and a so-called Gigafactory should be 1,000x the output of a Mega factory...

So at that rate, shouldn't Gigafactories refer to something that produces at least hundreds of millions if not many billions of cars (or whatever in makes) every year per factory?

*Bothered that we propagate innumeracy, which, IMHO, is not, shall I say, "satisfactory".

(See what I did there?)
Giga what now?

It makes Gigawatt hours of cells. Or products containing or handling GW or GWh annually.
Lathrop makes 1,000s of Megapacks (which are Megawat hour scale), it may now be a Gigafactory.

(Technically, a kilo-factory would be 1,000x an old school factory. Mega 1,000,000x).

Not good for the "no demand" proclamations.

Especially when Q4 was already not good for earnings.

I fear the rapid earnings growth story might be over. From 100% YoY to 30% YoY earnings growth now perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, 30% earnings growth with 50% unit growth is still much better than other OEMs.

But 30% will give you a PE ratio ~ 30-40. That's a fair share price of $108-$144.

The earnings have been dampened by the efforts to eliminate the wave. It looks like Q2 will be the last quarter that is impacted by this. Therefore we will only see in Q3 what the steady-state effect is.
Also, the extrapolated 10K deliveries in those 4 countries may not be indicative of the sales in all of Europe. The 4 reporting countries represent only a small portion of the entire EU sales. The biggest sales happen in countries (Germany, France) relatively close to the main distribution points (Belgium/Zeebrugge for Chinese production, Germany/Berlin for German production) Just take a look at last year’s delivery numbers for Belgium and The Netherlands: Tesla used the proximity of Zeebrugge to deliver a very disproportionally large number of cars in BE and NL in december. Idem for Germany for EU production.

(See what I did there?)
I always assumed it refers to the GigaWatts of batteries output through the products, rather than the number of products?!

Careful you’re saying something negative here so the hive mind will downvote you lol.

You can tell when Elon shifted tone from being so insistent tht demand exceeded supply until investor day when he said “there’s a strong demand impact on lowering prices.”

1) uhh…duh?

2) yah Tesla could sell infinite model 3s if the prices were cut to $15k but then Tesla wouldn’t be profitable if that happened now would it?

3) combine with what Elon said on Twitter about pedal to the metal even if he has to sell cars at negative margin and there, despite all the pedantic responses from TMCers the past week (check my post history) they just refuse to see what’s coming, which is a relentless attack on margins out of necessity.

These price cuts will keep happening, especially as main street really starts to feel a recessionary environment this year, and Teslas growth story will be challenged due to its evaporating margins.

I can already foresee debates here in August about Tesla doing great because of increased car sales (even if only at 30% growth and dangerously approaching sun 15% gross margin) and that it’s undervalued. Contrast this with early 2022 when everyone said “50% growth and 30% auto gross margin long term baby!!!!” You know who you are..:like 80% of this board lol.

Q1 gonna be bad. Just admit it, will be better for your mental health!

Again, Tesla going to be biggest company in the world, I believe FSD and some form of robotaxi eventually happens (just debated a cruise employee friend at Stanford last weekend on this lol), Tesla energy will be meaningful (+ insurance + charging + eventual App Store), and the fact that I have to qualify all that is sorta sad.

I miss the times where optimism was based on the long term product projections and a general financial market sizing direction, not the defense of long term financial projections that are incredibly volatile and subject to the often ridiculous assumptions of the given poster. And posters calling Tesla/Elon a company “not trained in deception.” Lmao.

It’s like people have gone from placing their spiritual allegiance from organized religion to politics/investments.
Do you know how to present a persuasive argument without ad hominem insults and excessively negative tone? If so, why do you persistently choose to write in this manner? How does that help make the community better?

As shown in the charts linked by dhanson, Tesla's prices have simply returned to where they were before the pandemic on an inflation-adjusted basis (about 10% higher), except for Performance/Plaid variants which have gone from crazy-expensive to more reasonable. However, that actually might tend to increase overall average margin by convincing more customers to upgrade, because now the gap between base variants and P variants is smaller than ever. It's really not clear how many cars Tesla actually sold at the super-high prices they set in last March, because average revenue per vehicle only rose by a few thousand dollars over the rest of 2022.

Meanwhile, Tesla's average cost per car is trending down since Q3, management has repeatedly stated that prices of raw material inputs and shipping have been plummeting, and this year the proportion of Model Y in the mix is going to increase substantially. We're also going to be shipping cars far less distance on average and Berlin and Austin won't be dragging down average margins like in 2022.

Tesla also informed us on Investor Day that at the new prices the rate of orders still greatly exceeds the rate of production, and the most recent short-term trend is the prices creeping back up in response to this.

Expectations of imminent refresh and HW4 deployment also may have contributed to a short-term demand pocket. Beware of over-extrapolation based on short-term variation.

At no point has Elon said cars would be sold at negative margin to push more growth. On that Twitter Spaces discussion which I assume you are referring to, he said in the worst case Tesla would go to 0% margin this year, but I'm pretty sure the point he was making is that if there is a severe short-term recession Tesla will not slow down growth because the mission demands it and because that will leave them ready to push much more volume when good times return.

Long-term financial projections for this enterprise are inherently volatile. The error bars are huge, especially because we're dealing with ridiculous exponential growth and multiple simultaneous technology disruptions. I doubt even Tesla's own internal projections for 10 or 20 years into the future have much precision.

Here's what matters for the long-term:
1) Tesla has a huge lead in stationary storage with Megapack XLs and there are compelling reasons to believe that the gross margins will be 50%, if not more, at today's prices of $420/kWh and up. There's a huge amount of room to reduce price and make excellent profits as this business scales, and we need to grow volume by at least 25x relative to current production rates.​
2) Tesla makes cars that millions of people want and many millions more will want after they learn about the cars. The barrier presently is affordability, and the company presented a clear and credible plan for cutting the costs in half from $35-40k to $17-20k. Due to the extremely nonlinear relationship between vehicle price and quantity demanded and also due to the giant wave of consumer acceptance of EVs that's still just in the early adopter phase, it's safe to project that demand will be an order of magnitude larger than today's 2M/yr level *if* Tesla drops ASP to something like $30k. With an average cost somewhere around $20k, that would be ~$10k gross profit per car and ~33% gross margin, even better than 2022.​

How about, instead of vaguely telling everyone else how bad their modeling is, you present your own -- with specifics -- and provide the rationale?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for the local Tesla cult meeting and I don't want to miss my chance to smoke the hopium pipe at the beginning of the ceremony.

Last edited: