Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, thought i'd introduce myself briefly after lurking for a while here.

I'm probably younger than 99% of the users in here. First time I'd heard about tesla was during a trip in Croatia, where I saw 4 superchargers directly overlooking the sea (still one of the most beautiful SuC locations I've seen after almost 7 years!) though at the time I didn't know anything more about the company.

Fast forward to early/mid 2019 and, as my grandpa had some health issues and couldn't drive anymore (he loved good fast cars and driving them), we decided to test drive one of the first model 3 cars that arrived my country and brought him with us as passenger to check it out. Still have some photos of that day, good memories. Needless to say he liked the car a lot and decided to get one for my mom as a gift. Over time we got way more involved and he decided to buy a sizable amount of stock with the only caveat that we wouldn't sell until tesla had stopped growing. I will fully admit I didn't know anything about macroeconomics and similar topics at the time (who does, at 20 y/o, honestly?). Of course, none could have foreseen the explosion (and then implosion I guess?) of the stock the past few years. You can guess that part of the portfolio has grown to a sizable amount (but still a healthy %, such that if it went to 0 overnight we would not have any actual issues with our lives) and I've been actively getting more interested in the whole economic topics/subjects. It's a strange combination of fun and terrifying. I think everyone should study even a little bit of the topics but unfortunately, unless you actively teach yourself, none is going to. The covid time was extremely crazy, in retrospect.

Been finishing up a MSc in engineering in the meantime, still got a couple of years to go. Planning to go into the automotive/electrical industry after I'm done, will see what I can get done.

Anyway, long story short, I think most the people in here share our same beliefs that tesla as a company can do great stuff in the upcoming years and decades so I'm looking far more at what the company is doing than what the stock/macro is doing. As for Musk himself, I don't consider myself "smart" by any means but I think I'm smart enough to be able to recognize both his great achievements with his companies and his silly behavior lately.

Cheers.
Welcome and thank you for being an engineer interested in the electrical industry. Please recruit your friends as we need a veritable army of electricians and engineers to finish the transition to sustainable energy. Fear not - this army can be well paid because they reduce costs and produce wealth for everyone... and the environment they work in, due to their work, gets safer and cleaner every day.

I like green on every day - including St. Patty's!
How about my old Mazda RX3 wagon?

51248657771_fe2e02a3ab_z.jpg

The new red is likely an "easier to paint" or at least "California compliant" version of the deep cherry red coming out of Berlin. I am ASSUMING it is still a 3 stage paint process (as I think even the old "multi-coat" red was that). Oh and since this is the Investor forum...it costs $500 more than the old red. Note: the old red was a $2,500 upcharge on the S/X and $2K on the 3/Y.

As a "bright colors" fan, the old red (which was OK, but not awesome) has been my color choice (had it on my S and have it on my ordered MYP). I would definitely want to see the new red in person as I wasn't really a fan of the original Signature Red (too burgundy).

As the S and X come out of Fremont, I could see the Model Y Performance (also a Fremont only car in the U.S.A.) POTENTIALLY getting this color next...really comes down to just how different it is to shoot. Could just make it to all the cars shortly.

That brings up one other topic. Everyone talks about how "paint is expensive" (it is) and how the Cybertruck and potentially the gen 3 vehicles won't have paint. I will point out, however, that Tesla's paint upcharges are generally a LOT more than virtually every other car manufacturer (only eclipsed by high end cars or things like the BMW "Individual" Colors). As an example, the aforementioned Mazda 3-stage "Soul Red" is a $595 upcharge. While I agree "no paint" is less cost, Tesla's hefty premium on their paints surely offsets a decent portion of that...especially on colors like the red. The profit will, of course, be gone with "no paint". Now, will it still be more beneficial for Tesla? I'm sure the answer is yes.
More cars per minute is more profitable than more upcharges per car. Also it is better for the mission.

Tesla doing what Tesla does...rapidly adapting. New supercharger layout at a WaWa (deployed a month ago). Notice the 2 spots that are SUPER WIDE (and a 3rd one utilizing the buffer as well):

View attachment 915669
Other bank had the normal setup:
View attachment 915668

Hello Cybertruck! Or maybe they'll get magic docks soon?
I'm looking forward to gas station pull thru style EV charging in the US so I can charge my Cybertruck while towing, where the only issue will be remembering which side the charge port is on!

More cars per minute is more profitable than more upcharges per car. Also it is better for the mission.
I can't disagree with that. Indeed, the Tesla paint upcharges today seem to be more about offsetting the "line interruption" caused by changing paint colors. Indeed, the prices seem to be about actually DISCOURAGING folks from ordering anything but white.

Worth watching on Tesla Mexico, and everything else...

In Matthew's video he reports that Tom Zhu said the Mexican factory would be the first to build Gen 3, and that after learnings it would be replicated elsewhere. But he also reported that Tom said another Gigafactory at a new location would be built simultaneously with the Mexican factory. I can't see Tesla starting construction of a non-Gen 3 assembly plant, so maybe the other new location won't be an auto plant?

In Matthew's video he reports that Tom Zhu said the Mexican factory would be the first to build Gen 3, and that after learnings it would be replicated elsewhere. But he also reported that Tom said another Gigafactory at a new location would be built simultaneously with the Mexican factory. I can't see Tesla starting construction of a non-Gen 3 assembly plant, so maybe the other new location won't be an auto plant?
Well they are building the Semi factory, frankly that is the one I want to see come online.

Reactions: jerry33

Well Tesla also got a Cybertruck and a Semi.

Reactions: UncaNed
You can have these concerns here but it’s very short term thinking. Tesla will continue to grow earnings longterm and the stock price will take care of itself.
True. But also, growing global (hi, BYD) competition will continue to close the gap and diminish the massive market share stranglehold that Tesla has had for the past several years. Tesla will still lead… but won’t be the only player in town like they’ve been used to being.

Add in the (over) valuation aspect of Tesla stock still, and is it realistic to expect the same astronomical growth that Tesla has experienced in the past?
Especially with the CEOs attention, focused more on the failing Twitter company?

So I see the colonoscopy mojo is gone! After a failed prep last week (helps when they send the correct prep instructions, and not HALF the solution needed!) and a good one yesterday, I see it did not help the SP at all this week. Boo.

So I'm glad to see Tesla is fast-tracking a new store/service center in the heart of the Philly metro area! This bodes well as I feel as the number of new Tesla cars I see in this area lately has risen dramatically. With 18 lifts in the service area (don't know; Is that a lot for your typical Tesla service dept?) I'm thinking there's more on the way.

Ground breaking said to start in the next 2 weeks, with opening date before the end of 2023. Excited to say the least!

True. But also, growing global (hi, BYD) competition will continue to close the gap and diminish the massive market share stranglehold that Tesla has had for the past several years. Tesla will still lead… but won’t be the only player in town like they’ve been used to being.

Add in the (over) valuation aspect of Tesla stock still, and is it realistic to expect the same astronomical growth that Tesla has experienced in the past?
Especially with the CEOs attention, focused more on the failing Twitter company?
Is this a troll? Did you watch investor day? Have you watched recent fsd videos? Do you know what Tesla’s margins are compared to so called competition? Do you know Elon and his capabilities of running multiple companies?

Tesla is in a position now where they have good leadership and Elon has put it on fsd beta where he has to intervene once in a while to make sure the company is heading the right direction.