Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a clear push and pull here between people who might already be 100% in TSLA and want nothing more than the stock price to go up versus those who might want to understand what could be coming and what opportunities may present themselves in terms of getting in, buying more, etc.
More bs. Stay for two seconds and you understand TSLA is significantly underpriced and has been for months AND you know exactly why: oops software bugs. 🙄

This is a classic soup of paranoia, self micromanaging, self doubt, fear, strawman, I must have equal proportions of negative to positive or I’ll be missing something mumbo jumbo.

No, all of them were Model Y LR. No performance models. Once you place an order, the delivery date keeps changing, but we no longer see more than 2-3 months of wait. In some cases, it’s within 2 weeks, and in some cases it could take 2-3 months. But the point is Tesla will not cut prices if demand exceeds production. That’s no longer the case. Production exceeds at demand at current prices, hence the need to cut prices to increase demand.
Long wait times - bad
Shorter wait times - bad

But let’s advertise to increase wait times to long wait times again for - bad

World population is 8B people. Number of humans on Twitter is 250M (excluding bots and such). That’s like 3% of the world. Even if we want to be generous and say there are 400M people on Twitter, that’s still just 5% of the world. Twitter is an extremely niche social network…it’s not like Facebook or Instagram which have multi billion users that comprehend almost a 3rd of the world.
Total world population is an extremely irrelevant comparison for evaluating the reach of various Tesla marketing options, because only a privileged, affluent minority of the global population is buying new cars. Almost 3 billion people still don’t even use the internet at all. The estimate of 3 to 5% is off by an order of magnitude for Tesla’s target audience.

The vast majority of cars and trucks are sold in the rich parts of North America, Europe and east Asia. Of the cars sold in the Global South, much of them are used cars coming from the wealthier northern markets. In the price segments Tesla will be serving for the foreseeable future (including the Gen 3 from GigaMex) this will still be the case. You can see this indirectly via Tesla’s charger network map. In North America, it mostly covers the wealthy coastal cities and the interstate highways through the middle, plus southern Canada and the richest part of Mexico. In Europe, it’s concentrated in the wealthier western and northern parts of the continent with few chargers east of Austria and Czechia. In Asia, it’s almost entirely Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and the wealthy coastal cities of China. Meanwhile, Tesla does not even sell in India (1.4B population), Africa (1.3B), South America (420M), Indonesia (280M), Pakistan (220M), Bangladesh (160M), Russia (140M), the Philippines (110M) or Vietnam (100M). These areas alone contain 51% of the human population.

1681406285677.png

source

Tesla with Gen 3 will be selling to the richest billion people, not all eight billion of us. Except for China which has a ban on Twitter, the percentage of the population using Twitter in Tesla’s primary markets is much higher than 3%. In the USA — Tesla’s first, biggest and most profitable market and the one which will likely be the primary customer for GigaMex’s output — approximately 20 to 25% of adults use Twitter and this percentage is currently rising rapidly after having stagnated for the last decade prior.

1681408042892.png

Source

Among the younger generations who will be Tesla’s main customer base 10+ years from now, when most of the big sales volume is going be happening, the usage rate is much higher. In 2021, Pew Research surveys found that 42% of American adults less than 30 years old reported being Twitter users. Pew also found a strong positive correlation between income and Twitter usage, and we know there’s also a strong positive correlation between income and likelihood to buy any new car in general as well as Tesla cars in particular. I would guess this relationship holds in other countries but I didn’t look it up.

1681408254537.png

Source

1681408472642.png

Source

All the usual issues and caveats with surveys apply, but these are simple, unambiguous questions about simple, non-controversial facts and it’s coming from Pew which is a reputable, skilled and generally impartial survey organization, so I think the results are pretty well indicative of reality.

As of now, Twitter definitely does not have the reach of YouTube, Facebook or Instagram, but it’s a difference only of about 2-3x. Twitter is not an “extremely niche social network” by any stretch of the imagination. If it were then why would anyone care so much about this acquisition or how Elon has approached it, for better or for worse? More important still is to evaluate the long run trajectory; it remains to be seen how the recent developments in AI, in how Twitter is handling bots and human verification, and in other aspects of this Nov 2022 change in management might result in changes to the relative popularity and engagement of the top social media networks in the coming years. Opinions and predictions on whether this whole acquisition is good or bad really belong in the Twitter thread or on Twitter itself because TMC mods have mandated it due to such discussions spiraling out of control and resulting in beating of dead horses, but let’s at least get objective facts right.

Last edited:
Q4’22 Auto GM excl reg credits was 24.3% (Q1’22 this was 30%) and consensus was 26%. We will know where this number lands for Q1’23 on 4/19. Let’s see. WS Consensus expectation is 21%.

While gross margin ex credit was down, gross profit, income from operations, and net income were all higher in Q4'22 than in Q1'22. Free cash flow was lower due to increased inventory.

While gross margin ex credit was down, gross profit, income from operations, and net income were all higher in Q4'22 than in Q1'22. Free cash flow was lower due to increased inventory.
And don’t forget the currency difference between Q1 2022 and Q4 2022. When the difference is taken into account, you’re talking about at least a 500 million difference in earnings

I’m hearing it was a fight which one of Toyota’s 2 failproof strategies were going to send Elon & Tesla to the poorhouse, and pure EV’a to their grave.

2. Their cat on the keyboard naming conventions for ie their upcoming model called BZ4X#%85);@:!
My cats typed better than that.

Of course. None of this matters for long term investors. We can just acknowledge things haven’t been great since Q3’22 and that’s the reality. No need to be in denial and sugarcoat and paint a rosy picture about the short term. It’s pretty bad and that’s ok. Things will change soon and everything will be awesome again once we get through this challenging period for the next few quarters.
Do you not realize that car manufacturers lower and raise prices all the time? It's just that the dealer network sells every car at a different price so the consumer never sees them.

Last edited:
NVDA PE ratio now triple that of TSLA. Great company but triple?
It makes sense to me. Key reasons:
  • NVIDIA has essentially a monopoly on GPUs for video games and AI training. Tesla is facing a futile fight against larger, more experienced competitors who are now pivoting hard into EVs, and whose victory over Tesla will be swift and thorough.

• NVIDIA is expanding into other verticals for accelerated computing with ASICs and multiple related software services, whereas Tesla is just a car company.

• NVIDIA’s CEO is normal and relatable, and also he does not 💩post embarrassing content on Twitter.

• AI training is growing exponentially with no end in sight. Most people don’t want EVs until solid-state batteries enable 400-mile range and 10-minute charging, and when that technology matures for commercial viability Toyota will be ready to pounce on it and crush Tesla while serving the remaining customers who want hybrids and hydrogen fuel cells.

• NVIDIA does not have major liability risk for fraud litigation with respect to stuff like Solar Roof and FSD.

• Unlike Li-ion batteries, GPUs are recyclable, can be manufactured without child slavery, and don’t spontaneously combust.

• NVIDIA is led by an Asian-American as opposed to a white guy born and raised in Apartheid-era South Africa who has cultivated a corporate culture of deeply embedded racism and discrimination at Tesla. This comes with risk of more $100M lawsuit payouts and worse: the possibility of TSLA becoming a dirty pariah of a stock that no one wants to touch, like tobacco companies.

• Tesla conducts business mainly in US$ which is collapsing due to rampant money-printing and inflation, and the Dollar will soon lose its status as the world reserve currency as it’s replaced by cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. Predicting which cryptocurrencies will dominate is the hard part, but cleverly NVIDIA has hedged itself for this risk completely, because all of the contenders for crypto hegemony are fundamentally constrained by the GPUs needed for mining, which means that the actual de facto new global reserve currency will be NVIDIA GPUs.

Last edited:
As my ignore lists grows once again I'd like to reiterate how nice it would be if replies to people on your ignore list were automatically squelched.

Anecdotally I continue to be optimistic with FSD as my parents routinely take San Diego to San Francisco trips in their model Y. They love FSD and are so excited to see its improvements over time. It went from rare use to constant use and I couldn't be more happy for them. My dad can't wait for me to get a cybertruck with the 500 mile range so that they can stop and switch cars with me in LA on their trips to the bay area. I get the sneaking suspicion my parents will be driving my cybertruck more than me!

Go Tesla!

Nothing is wrong. That’s the whole point. The company is running like clockwork and making every other OEM look like they don’t have a clue.
Interesting that their hasn't been a Voodoo Doll sighting today.
Seems like a few rules of the thread have been broken concerning "demand"....
Is that speak allowed again without fear of a needle 🪡 or a pair of scissors ✂️?