Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting article on Yahoo finance: Tesla price cuts offer long-term benefit to Mercedes, BMW: analyst

The reasoning is that Tesla lowering prices is good for BMW and Mercedes. By keeping their prices high they will remain ‘premium’ car manufacturers, and the plebs will buy Teslas.

Let me paraphrase this: Mercedes and BMW will transition from a 2M+ cars/year premium car manufacturer to a 500K cars/year car manufacturer by targeting the ‘more money than brains’ demographic.
I think chasing niches is going to be the best move for almost all legacy auto. Focusing on the $100k plus market works so long as you can actually deliver a car that drives as well as a Tesla.

Though soon enough people will start asking ”You want me to pay $150k for a car and it won’t drive me home after a drink night?”

US jury finds Tesla autopilot feature did not fail to perform safely in Los Angeles civil car crash trial
Interesting, I don't even recall hearing about that accident/lawsuit.

Tesla denied liability for the 2019 accident. It said in a court filing that Hsu used Autopilot on city streets, despite Tesla's user manual warning against doing so.

During a court hearing in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, the jury awarded Hsu zero damages. It also found that the airbag did not fail to perform safely, and that Tesla did not intentionally fail to disclose facts to her.

So at least part of the issue was not using AP as instructed.

I think they should put big rotating neon Tesla signs up at all their supercharger stations - like McDonalds does.
Crazy thought here.

The CEO buys a rocket company and they make huge high profile launches that are so interesting everyone hears about them. Make it so compellingly awesome that people feel compelled to talk about it even though they might hate some of the people.

Maybe paint “TESLA” in great big letters on the side of the rocket. Or better, make some of Teslas products out of the same super shiny stainless the rocket is made of so people constantly say things like “is that the same stainless they put on the FarShip?”

Tesla is launching their first Model Y RWD in Canada.

First time since launch we’ve seen RWD model Y in North America. First time we’ve seen LFP Model Y in North America at all I think?

Also lowers price of the LR so both meet Canadian rebate requirements.

Tesla definitely eliminating that price umbrella they left for competitors.

I like this. Moving down the demand curve by offering a cheaper yet longer-range version will stoke sales for sure. With the federal tax rebate factored in, we may see a sub-$40k SUV in the US soon. Keep in mind that the Rav4 Hybrid Limited MSRP is $39k.

How many would choose a Rav4 Hybrid over a Tesla SUV?

One theory is that Megapack orders currently being filled were placed before the recent large price increases. Another factor is that Megapack XL is still a nacient portion of Tesla Energy (but growing fastest of all within the company).
I think there's a few factors going on:

- Lathrop is only what, 30-40% ramp at the moment. Therefore gross margins on Megapack out of Lathrop aren't even half of what they'll end up being. Utilization of the factory isn't even halfway yet.
- Energy in total is solar and Powerwall which are much lower margin in solar's case, flat or negative even
- As we've seen with the auto side as you mentioned, there's a lag between orders at older/lower prices
- Tesla hasn't been able to realize the drop in commodities in their COGS yet as evidence by the auto side.

I know Zach guided for energy to be the same as auto gross margins, key is at what period of time Zach is referencing. Gross margin today or gross margin back in Q1 2022 when gross margin was over 30%. I personally still think Megapack will be at 30-35% gross margin product.

What I'm really looking for is over time for Tesla to introduce more software features that are monthly subscriptions to the consumer/commercial business. They're already on the cusp of this with their Energy software. I'm hoping they take the approach of applying software features on top of the transaction price. Businesses will definitely opt for paying monthly subscription if the software is proven provide savings/better management/better analytics/etc....

You cannot pay to get promotion/ marketing this good. It is simply impossible to pay for this in cash. People who suggest Musk being associated with Tesla is bad for the brand are idiots.

Tesla just got a billion dollars of marketing for free. It’s like Musk owns both teams in the Super Bowl and all the players are high fiving him on the field.

I like this. Moving down the demand curve by offering a cheaper yet longer-range version will stoke sales for sure. With the federal tax rebate factored in, we may see a sub-$40k SUV in the US soon. Keep in mind that the Rav4 Hybrid Limited MSRP is $39k.

How many would choose a Rav4 Hybrid over a Tesla SUV?
One of my buddies just did. Model Y clearance and suspension sucks for even light off-Roading.

Tesla needs to offer a Model Y that’s actually functional off road and charge a bit more for it. Doesn’t need to be a huge change, 2” of better travel, slightly bigger tires and smaller wheels with all terrain tires.

MAX PAIN. The one day drop in Max Pain was that I was refering to, not the actual stock price. It takes a lot of effort by the MMs to move that many options and make that difference, with 1,635,119 open contracts.
I thought the MMs, besides making virtual shares, only had to place orders for vast amounts of shares and then pull them before execution. Doesn't cost a dime.

Some random thoughts as we roll to the weekend…

I am not a fan of traditional advertising, yet I have had an old commercial from my youth repeating in my head since the quarterly report on Wednesday.
I think it was Crazy Eddy saying, “How do we do it? Volume!”

So, the vehicle price is being lowered and the market is expanding. To wrap my head around this, I go to basic math (because I am a basic math kind of guy).

My thought exercise:
If you sell 1000 units at $50,000 with 20% profit margin you make 10 million dollars. [1000 x (50,000 x .2) =10,000,000]
If you sell 2000 units at $40,000 with 17% profit margin you make 13.6 million dollars. [2000 x (40,000 x .17) = 13,600,000]

I’m good with this.
Have a great weekend folks!

You cannot pay to get promotion/ marketing this good. It is simply impossible to pay for this in cash. People who suggest Musk being associated with Tesla is bad for the brand are idiots.

Tesla just got a billion dollars of marketing for free. It’s like Musk owns both teams in the Super Bowl and all the players are high fiving him on the field.

Ironic that i said the exact same words as the kindergarten student after yesterday's trading session! 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

Teacher of the month right there.