Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, here's the joke: divide Alaska in half, and Texas becomes the third largest state.
There are ~116 supercharger locations in Texas. There are two in Alaska.
There are however, 13 CCS DCFC currently online in Alaska, and two more that are very close.

TSLA: either install more superchargers, or at least DO NOT ship any cars to Alaska without CCS adapter support!! For those who have older models with service requests for CCS support: what are you waiting for? Get those folks their new circuit boards!

FYI: my Model S does have CCS support, and it's great, but, man, I do not want to bring that up to some people!

CCS stations: _______________________ Superchargers:
CCSAlaska.png
SuperchargersAK.png

Last edited:
With all of this talk about how to drum up sales via advertisement etc, it got me thinking on the sales impact of more delivery and service centers. Infortunately some of it is out of teslas control (ie delivery centers in NY state)?

For central New Yorkers the nearest SC is 1.5 hours away. That is a deal breaker for many. Also, when buying, the nearest delivery center is 4hrs away (8 hrs round trip), again, a deal breaker for many. People living in western NY (Buffalo) have it even worse as the delivery center is 6-7 hours away (12-14 hours round trip).

Once it’s convneient to do test drives and make purchases, and have a nearby SC, I think sales would dramatically increase. I am assuming Tesla has some data on how this impacts sales and I would be very curious to know.

Maybe this is just a NY state issue? 🤷‍♂️
Just wanted to give a little different perspective on the distance from a Service Center (living 3-4 hours from the nearest SC but never needing one yet with our 2018 Model 3). Do potential purchasers generally know about Mobile Service? What is the likelihood that a Tesla needs to go to a SC in the first 2, 5 or 10 years of ownership? Presumably Tesla has that data and, if favourable, could be made known to potential purchasers. Obviously that would not sway everyone to buy a Tesla but it may influence a significant number.

Just wanted to give a little different perspective on the distance from a Service Center (living 3-4 hours from the nearest SC but never needing one yet with our 2018 Model 3). Do potential purchasers generally know about Mobile Service? What is the likelihood that a Tesla needs to go to a SC in the first 2, 5 or 10 years of ownership? Presumably Tesla has that data and, if favourable, could be made known to potential purchasers. Obviously that would not sway everyone to buy a Tesla but it may influence a significant number.
HaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
In Alaska the nearest SC is 12 kazillion miles away. Mobile Service is sometimes OK, and they try, but unless you live in the Big City (Anchorage), it's a wait (months). Moreover, scheduling Mobile Service here is a joke. Despite claiming to be able to schedule mobile service in Alaska for around a year, the app STILL takes you to appointments 2423 miles away (only a 47 hour drive, according to Google Maps- IF there were superchargers!).
If you want to regain that pioneering feeling of an early-adopter, c'mon up here!

Do potential purchasers generally know about Mobile Service? What is the likelihood that a Tesla needs to go to a SC in the first 2, 5 or 10 years of ownership?
Some number of vehicles need warranty work right after delivery because of poor QC at the factory. Not all of it can be done by Mobile Service. (My car needed an alignment among other things.) That meant an almost 4 hour round trip, a loaner vehicle, then another 4 hour round trip to pick up the car.

I will say it cuts down on service visits because I have a few minor issues that I'd get fixed if there were a closer service center but it's not worth the hassle.

Some number of vehicles need warranty work right after delivery because of poor QC at the factory. Not all of it can be done by Mobile Service. (My car needed an alignment among other things.) That meant an almost 4 hour round trip, a loaner vehicle, then another 4 hour round trip to pick up the car.

I will say it cuts down on service visits because I have a few minor issues that I'd get fixed if there were a closer service center but it's not worth the hassle.
Some of these situations will improve over time, even without more service centers. For example with a wheel alignment, I had one done (on our 2018 Model 3) a few months ago at a local tire dealer. Back in 2018 the same tire store might not have been an option for that work. But today, I'd certainly consider paying locally for that work (versus driving 3-4 hours each way to a Tesla service center for warranty coverage).

Subscribed today. I’ve been waiting for this day…when I can just subscribe, and turn on beta; if it works for me, I keep it. If it doesn’t, I can unsubscribe and wait for a future build.

I really think this could be a major turning point for FSD take rate. I will follow up with what my experience is.
Hint: if the car hesitates at an intersection when it should be going, just give it a nudge with the go pedal.

OK, here's the joke: divide Alaska in half, and Texas becomes the third largest state.
There are ~116 supercharger locations in Texas. There are two in Alaska.

To be fair, Alaska has 14,336 miles of public roads. Texas has 683,533. Alaska has a population of 732,673 people. Texas is just shy of 30,000,000.

During an earnings call I think back in 2019? Elon said having a SC within reasonable range is the single biggest contributor to demand.

Of course Elon also said this... in October 2018-

It's now ~3-6 (well, ~4.5 so right in the middle) years, not months, later and the "aim" remains unfulfilled.

To be fair, Alaska has 14,336 miles of public roads. Texas has 683,533. Alaska has a population of 732,673 people. Texas is just shy of 30,000,000.

Of course Elon also said this... in October 2018-

It's now ~3-6 (well, ~4.5 so right in the middle) years, not months, later and the "aim" remains unfulfilled.
Depends on the local density. My city went from 1 in 2018 to now finishing up the 3rd one. This 3rd one is going to be like 4x the size of that first one. The streets here are filled with teslas.

With all of this talk about how to drum up sales via advertisement etc, it got me thinking on the sales impact of more delivery and service centers. Infortunately some of it is out of teslas control (ie delivery centers in NY state)?

For central New Yorkers the nearest SC is 1.5 hours away. That is a deal breaker for many. Also, when buying, the nearest delivery center is 4hrs away (8 hrs round trip), again, a deal breaker for many. People living in western NY (Buffalo) have it even worse as the delivery center is 6-7 hours away (12-14 hours round trip).

Once it’s convneient to do test drives and make purchases, and have a nearby SC, I think sales would dramatically increase. I am assuming Tesla has some data on how this impacts sales and I would be very curious to know.

Lack of service centers is why I think Tesla shouldn't produce lower cost vehicles. I'm in NWFL and it's a 4-hour round trip to the west for service. The working class buying a $25k car doesn't have to full days to make a service run. Now I read Tesla is opening a new SC 2-hours to the east, so for me it's again a 4-hour round trip and almost guaranteed I will always have a 4-hr round trip since now there is a SC 2 hours east and one 2 hours west. I see multiple Tesla's daily and there is a supercharger 5 miles from me. This SC distance makes me consider not purchasing another Tesla in the future.

I was considering an X, and get multiple texts from sales. I'm 4 hours from a test drive location. I made a road trip and requested to drive a Y and X and I was told I can only drive one. So I am going to buy a $100k car and drive 6 hours to test drive it and Tesla sales tells me I can only drive one vehicle? Another reason I probably won't buy another Tesla

I was considering an X, and get multiple texts from sales. I'm 4 hours from a test drive location. I made a road trip and requested to drive a Y and X and I was told I can only drive one. So I am going to buy a $100k car and drive 6 hours to test drive it and Tesla sales tells me I can only drive one vehicle? Another reason I probably won't buy another Tesla
Yeah. Don’t believe you.

You mean a Super Center or do you mean a Service Charger??

Indeed, I remember this well. What Elon said was that Tesla sales in any particular area increase significantly when there is access to the Supercharger network along major routes/directions, and have a local Service Center.

Personally, I'd vote to include the CCS-combo adapter + firmware support in that list... ;)

Cheers!

Lack of service centers is why I think Tesla shouldn't produce lower cost vehicles. I'm in NWFL and it's a 4-hour round trip to the west for service. The working class buying a $25k car doesn't have to full days to make a service run. Now I read Tesla is opening a new SC 2-hours to the east, so for me it's again a 4-hour round trip and almost guaranteed I will always have a 4-hr round trip since now there is a SC 2 hours east and one 2 hours west. I see multiple Tesla's daily and there is a supercharger 5 miles from me. This SC distance makes me consider not purchasing another Tesla in the future.

Owned my Tesla for 2 years now. Drove 2+ hours to pick it up.

Haven't been there since. They have added 2 that are a bit closer since I bought it, but I haven't been there either.

I needed one service thing and it was remote. I guess I'm behind on service? I think I need air filters.

Tesla is in the league of one. No other company has any purchasable car that can even stop at a stop light today, let alone having "105 city miles to disengagement". So maybe you're not grateful or wowed by Tesla's self driving tech, then perhaps you can go find an alternative that doesn't exist.
Yah, (1) completely avoiding my incredibly logical point, (2) ignoring the fact that no one else is even trying to sell a consumer FSD package and actually advertises an adas system rather than a $10,000+ option people have been paying for years that’s an inevitable class action lawsuit waiting to happen, (3) straw manning with the assumption that if I am not satisfied with FSD then I should sell like it’s the only criteria I care about, (4) I’m not evaluating the technology compared to its peers I’m evaluating it compared to the CEO of the company who keeps talking about it every effing earnings call and literally said the company is “worthless” if it doesn’t figure out robotaxi level autonomy.

But ya nice quip to harvest like reactions 👍

This is the type of low quality content devoid of insight that lowers the quality of this place with its bunker down mentality. Closer to religious worshipping than critical and constant evaluation of a stock’a investment thesis.

Yep, Gatormeat is a bear in sheep’s clothing… 2 back-to-back posts saying he’s not buying another Tesla… so sad! 😢
Honestly what’s wrong with bear opinions? I’d rather someone look into supercharger locations to see if that statement is logical or bullshit rather than low effort “oh new member fudding must be false!” Post. Then again don’t expect anything less from @Krugerrand who I don’t believe has ever said anything critical about tesla in her post history.

Maybe if people considered these perspective (instead of laughing off low price targets from JP Morgan and such which were actually hit) then some people would’ve been better positioned for where we are.