Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed.
What's worring is the fact that many that are in the stock nowadays bought after 2018 and a good % of them are underwater, angry at the company and after someone to blame for their situation.
If we were at ATH the re-vote would be a slam dunk...
I'm very curious about today's earnings call, specifically for this reason. This may put to the test the notion that Elon doesn't care about the short-term stock price at all. In general, I'm sure he doesn't. But for the next couple of months?

If the compensation vote is really in the bag, obviously, this won't have an impact. But if the internal vote counting is close, I wonder whether Elon will consider that in his commentary and tone on the earnings call. If the stock tanks again in advance of the vote, might that increase the risk that the vote fails? What if one or more institutional investors indicated they are on the fence and would want to see some price stability to sway them?

So I'm bracing for bad numbers and bad commentary, but also a tiny part of me thinks we might get a lot of positivity on the call.

On the last call Elon said the next gen car will begin production mid- 2025 with volume production 2026.
See. That's not what he said, but that's how you took it.

He said the overly optimistic timeline, sleeping on the factory floor, he could see it "towards the end of 2025" and he said to take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not going to try to sway you...but I would like to fix just a couple small errors in your wording:

1) Elon's pay package is not $56B. My understanding is that is options to buy a number of shares at a discounted price. I believe that the $56B comes from an assumed stock price multiplied by the sharecount...but just to exercise those options, he would have to pay the company the reduced price for the shares, and pay federal taxes on the value he received. So, even at a $56B valuation for the shares, Elon wouldn't see close to $56B. At today's lower price, the value of the shares is well below $56B...and he would still have to pay the same amount to exercise them, plus some smaller amount of federal taxes. Naturally, if the stock price was notably higher, it would be possible for his value to be more than $56B too.

2) At least via a quick google search, I believe you are correct that Elon has sold a total of about $40B in Tesla shares...but that wasn't all a big cash-out. I believe roughly $10B was sold to pay the required taxes on an earlier compensation package. For the Twitter fiasco, wsj via google seems to say he sold approximately $23 billion.

Again...I'm not trying to say any of that is "good," just making sure facts are as facty as possible.
I understand it didn't 'cost' Tesla $56B, but it doesn't look good even if net cost to Tesla is a few billion. The stock has lost $700B. And nobody 'sees' what they are paid. Taxes are always involved.
On the other hand I don't want to see the attorney's get paid either and overall feel the judge's ruling has hurt shareholders. Not sure what is best for shareholders going forward. In a perfect world, there would be a quick reversal of the judgment.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
This is an illuminating post on X from Elon:

Moderator😡(MEDIA=twitter)More unacceptable language(/MEDIA)

Helped me realize:

* There is a life-or-death race to AGI
* That race may be more nearly winner-take-all than not
* Tesla has the pole position for AGI in the real world
* X has a trove of online data from people (complementary to Tesla’s data) and may have their own efforts towards AGI that may not be trivial
* xAI is a brain trust, has their own AGI efforts and may offer the interstitial glue between AGI efforts at the various Musk companies
* I hesitate to imagine the implications of Neuralink

It also casts the recent FSD price reductions in a new light in two ways in particular.

First, obviously more data is key and in this race getting that data as fast as possible is good strategy.

Though of course that reduces revenue.

However and second, AGI and embodied AI promise limitless abundance.

Infinite demand mitigates lower positive margins especially—if not only—for the winner of the race.

I wonder what further Elon will say about this this afternoon, if only between the lines.

Have a great earnings call fellow longs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's your characterization of their advice. I wasn't following them at the time so unless you have specific links to illustrate your point, I'll reserve judgment. The "never sell" part sounds more like faulty memory then financial advice.
A whole bunch of them were pushing the 'live on margin' strategy bc 'Elon does it'. It's amazing they never got any push-back. They were on YouTube, WSJ articles were written about the mountain man options gambler (he thought he could predict future stock prices and win with options). They were the popular kids at one point in time in the Twitter/YouTube Tesla influencer world.

The Delaware Chancery Court reorganization effectively destroyed their advantage. OTOH, betting on a new State without an established record and with a distinctly negative attitude towards Tesla from the rarely meeting Texas legislature. That move is done without anything offered from Texas to ameliorate business conduct, specifically sales. That seems odd. Leaving Delaware is simply part of the continuing corporate flight. With a legislature intellectually dominated by auto dealers, is that a wise bet?
Here's more information on the new Texas business court.

So, does he have a solution to the demand problem? Can he illustrate that to the investors?
Or before the ER call tomorrow, anyone here can guess or provide some solutions?
I think tailored marketing is the way. Plenty of people in the US who buy vehicles in the price range of the 3 and Y and can charge at home.
Any such area with a service centre nearby should have an advertising blitz with people being able to see and test drive the vehicles locally.

Reactions: Quesder
I'm casting 7,432 votes against Elon's comp plan. Why?
Just to be clear, that means you are voting for Tesla to give billions of dollars worth of TSLA stock to the plaintiff and their lawyers, diluting all stocker holders. (And they will probably dump a ton of it on the market depressing the stock even more.) I can't see any way in which voting against it is good for stockholders. (Regardless of if you think Elon deserves the compensation, that had already been approved and earned, or not.)

We will see how this chart looks at the end of the year. Energy continues to grow at a rapid pace? Awesome. My point is, looking at Tesla now, it is a car company.

View attachment 1040941
Thats true. But don't you wish you could have gone back in time and bought AMZN when it was a book company? I thought the whole point was to see what the company will look like in 5 years, and get in before others spot it. Otherwise you might as well just buy a tracker fund.

Heard a suggestion yesterday that Tesla should stop offering FSD as a purchase option and go for a subscription offering only. I thought it was an interesting idea.
How about ALL cars get FSD. ALL new cars going forward pay $50/mo mandatory subscription for updating and maintenance. We make it up by bundling the cost of FSD in with the original purchase price. We're giving people the option of not taking FSD ... which is a mistake. Do car companies give consumers the option to delete antilock brakes? Airbags? Seat belts?

Long shot, but would be fun to hear of record breaking orders on the Model 3P - on the same day made available.
What would perk the ears? 1K, 10K, 100K new orders today?

Or wait times stretching out to ____? I'm gonna watch this one in case. Could be a good demand signal.

1713894821801.png