Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair question from an infamous TSLA short:
What was the $70M for “Marketing, Promotional and Advertising Costs” in 2018 spent on?

https://ir.tesla.com/node/19496/html

Since it was not spent on traditional advertising, can we come up with a comparison of such “not really advertising” expenditures with that of traditional OEM vehicle manufacturers?

Is this simply where the demo units are accounted for... Often these cars are used for test rides and then sold at a discount?

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and UncaNed
Maserati have received massive amounts of ridicule for this.

Fair enough.

But I think that their sales numbers and profit margins are such that they can probably survive on that strategy for much longer than a mass-market producer with low margins and no current BEV strategy.

Maserati is part of FCA.

It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. FCA can support significant losses at Maserati indefinitely as long as they keep selling lots of Jeeps and Rams.

They are just the halo brand for FCA once they spun off Ferrari.

I have no luck with timing when it comes to investing, but I'm gonna trade TSLA this summer to leverage these midmorning dips and obvious bear attacks.

Is there a way to take historical SP data and run it through and algo to kick out an optimal strategy? As in.....SP was up previous day, sell at open and buy at X o'clock? I really think there's a reliable pattern that's not much more complex than that.

I don’t know about day trading TSLA for the average person. But, swing trading has definitely worked out better than holding this long term (as I only started investing in TSLA since 2015). Looks like someone long since 2014 would’ve done much worse than just forgetting the money in an index. You just have to be patient for dips and objective. Don’t get fueled by bulls or scared by bears on this forum. If you’re only buying common shares, make sure to buy on dips and sell when it makes runs. Too many times people can get caught losing out on gains by hoping for an even higher run up in SP. For example, the Musk $420 tweet incident gave me one of my best transactions in recent years.
This stock has more ups and downs than any other in my portfolio, and so it’s one of the only ones I swing trade with.

And still no mention of Adv Summon. I really wish Elon would quit announcing anticipated release dates or at least be clear WHO is getting it in X weeks. Besides affecting Tesla FSD credibility, it pisses me off because I tell people something's coming and makes me the liar.

Maybe he does these to try and defend SP or teach those shorts a lesson. Or if he's like me, he's dying to tell the world how amazing he is.

Yup, it's the first time I've ever slammed Elon. He is amazing, but human like the rest of us. Maybe I'm pissed at the SP and money corruption, who knows.

... can't wait for the 2019.12 update! When is it coming?
I'm on 2019.12.1.2 right now and I'm not an early adopter.

It fixed the backup camera (almost completely). Connectivity was also rock solid after update until the last one :(

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Referral program and events like the drive in the snow thing?

Or a Roadster in space?
I'm on 2019.12.1.2 right now and I'm not an early adopter.

It fixed the backup camera (almost completely). Connectivity was also rock solid after update until the last one :(

Oh crap, I meant 2019.16... and blew the joke.

He also sees many instances where Tesla rates are way too high. No other maker has the data Tesla has (8 cameras that will be availabe to Tesla service). Hopefully Tesla starts keeping all the parts and body colors in stock so repairs are bolt off, bolt on with little to no body work or paint.... at least for the 3.

That is not the way body repairs work.

Especially after cars have been on the road a few years.

Being in the sun for years cars change color and they need to be matched. Can't have brand new blue panel right next to 5 year faded blue panel. Batches also have slightly different shades. One red Tesla Model 3 is not necessarily the exact same color as another red Tesla Model 3. Repaired Tesla vehicles can't be the "Coat of Many Colors," that would look awful.

Repairs on panels are done at body shops when it is cheaper than replacing, it isn't valueless busy work invented to create jobs.

Please, DNFTT.

Thanks.
Mobileye's quarterly earning is around $50m, most of the sales are EyeQ3, which is a solution based on 40nm technology priced around $30. It did a good job on AEB and ACC, etc.. They are hype-envy to TSLA/Waymo as there is not much design wins for their 28nm based solution, aka. EyeQ4 except 2-3 very small scale deployments, they had/having a hard time to sell it at $200 level.
TSLA probably is the biggest NVDA self-driving chip design win/deployment for now, although it is still very small scale if you look at the actual number, they are hungry for TOPS and computing power. If their own chip can improve TOPS/W, that is a big win in itself.
Comparing benchmark without use cases is just pure garbage and trolling, Mobileye needs to find someone to use their TOPS in EyeQ4 first.
There is good chance that Mobileye is/will be dead on the innovation front as they are part of Intel now.

What made you decide to trade this summer? Most algobots execute way more sophisticated strategies than you describe and can make adjustments in real time. Retail traders will not beat smart money at their own game. Holding the stock long-term will outperform any of these strategies for 95% of traders.
It's reliably happening on a fairly predictable schedule.

And still no mention of Adv Summon. I really wish Elon would quit announcing anticipated release dates or at least be clear WHO is getting it in X weeks. Besides affecting Tesla FSD credibility, it pisses me off because I tell people something's coming and makes me the liar.

Maybe he does these to try and defend SP or teach those shorts a lesson. Or if he's like me, he's dying to tell the world how amazing he is.

Yup, it's the first time I've ever slammed Elon. He is amazing, but human like the rest of us. Maybe I'm pissed at the SP and money corruption, who knows.

... can't wait for the 2019.16 update! When is it coming?

It’s going out to early access program members. They already have advanced summon.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I still haven’t received my invitation to early access program for having bought FSD before the discount thingy...

Last edited:
It’s going out to early access program members. They already have advanced summon.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I still haven’t received my invitation to early access program for having bought FSD before the discount thingy...

What early access program for early FSD owners. I go back to Apr 2018 for FSD, I ain't heard nothin'.

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #52: Never ask when you can take.
FCA: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Quite happy for Elon to follow the Ferengi rules of acquisition. Rule number 1:

Once you have their money, you never give it back.

$2Bn is just for starters.

Rule 45:

Expand or die

Rule 95

Expand or die

So good, they said it twice.

What early access program for early FSD owners. I go back to Apr 2018 for FSD, I ain't heard nothin'.

When they temporarily lowered the prices for upgrading to AP/FSD(to below what people paid who bought them when they got their cars) earlier this year, they said existing FSD owners would receive invitations to the early access program, and Elon later confirmed those were coming.

Well, GMAC tried to do that and did succeed in becoming a giant mortgage originator, among other things. Back when they began more tan 100 years ago they wanted financing in order to sell cars they otherwise might not sell. That worked astoundingly well. Tesla, with insurance, is probably copying that Sloan-era GM policy. That they have better data, if they can deploy it properly, is unquestionable. @neroden is prone to hubris regarding actuarial science IMHO, but he's correct that Tesla often is unable to execute on their promises based on their superior data.

I am reminded of Long Term Capital Management again. To wit: Superior data and superior analytics do not guarantee excellent results.

For Tesla there is never a question about superior data nor superior intellect. Their question is always about successful execution.

After all making consistent profits in auto insurance is never a sure thing. Actuarial decisions based on anything other than collision loss severity and insured driving record is fraught. The always reliable postal code classification, included in the Tesla generic application, is a wonderful surrogate for those two factors. Auto insurance actuaries are truly adept in engineering multi-collinearity into their algorithms and very, very few people seem to notice, fewer know what that means and even fewer care. Basically that means that auto insurance rates are generally built on reliable layers of prejudice.

So the question is whether Tesla can actually do better. Maybe, but I'll be surprised if they succeed in any consequential way. OTOH, they may well be able to make a bit of money, and betting against Elon as a disruptor is by no means a sure thing.
A decade ago, I was an employee at GMAC Insurance. All the different GMAC companies were quite distinct though owned by GM. We had our own CEO, for example. GMAC Insurance was arguably the most reliable earnings engine for all of GM and GMAC.

In fact, underwriting profit is rather predictable and stable. What was significantly harder was to actually grow the business. Pricing is highly regulated and very slow to change. What matters more is the flow of new accounts and attrition. If you price some segment too high, for example, you have more difficulty attracting and retaining overpriced customers. So via adverse selection the composition of the book tends to shift where those that were overpriced get replace by those that are relatively underpriced. So loss rates increase to the level you priced at even as the book shrinks as a whole.

The advantage at the time that a carrier like Progressive had was that they had highly segmented and accurately priced rates. This was more robust against adverse selection than what most carriers could pull off. The strategy of showing prospects the rates of competitors was in fact very smart competitively. For example, if a competitor was offering a driver a substantially lower premium, chances were very good that that carrier was underpriced for that risk. By showing this to potential customers one of two things would happen: the driver would go to the competitor which was underpricing the risk and make that competitor less profitable, or the driver would trust Progressive enough to pay a higher premium than they could get elsewhere. In that case, Progressive would be better assured that they had not underpriced the risk and would lock in a more profitable and likely retainable customer. As an insurer you want to avoid rate chasers and attract stable customer willing to pay a fair price. So my view of auto insurance is that it is primarily marketing business. Attract and retain the best customer, and you can do very well financially.

So I think Tesla has several advantages it can exploit to build up a nice little insurance book.

1. Tesla has a very attractive customer base to market insurance to. Very high income and creditworthiness. This is a high mix of preferred.
2. Tesla customer base is also strongly engaged with the Tesla brand, mission, and is very loyal. This is an auto insurance marketers dream prospect base.
3. Tesla owners drive vehicles that are easily mispriced and likely over priced by the competition. Especially the passive safety of AP/FSD is likely to be mispriced by most of the industry.
4. Insurance sales can be integrated seamlessly into Tesla online sales channel. As customer builds car online, Tesla can capture sufficient information to provide insurance quote. This quote gives a shopper confidence that they can find affordable insurance. But then there is the convenience of buying that insurance at the time the order is placed for the car.
5. Tesla NN likely has advanced driver analytics already and can be used to modify and augment driver behavior where it is substandard.

It is probably hard for most people to appreciate just how important item 4 is. Consider that most insurance carriers spend $600 to $1200 in marketing and sales cost to acquire 1 new customer. It is the holy grail of auto insurance marketers to be able to touch prospects when they are actually in the market for buying new insurance. When someone is buying a car, they are definitely in market for insurance. And in fact, insurability questions can make it harder to decide to buy a given car. If you've already got the prospect online and can quote them, this is the absolute cheapest sales channel. Tesla can likely get info on the other vehicles in the household and quote all of them. And it is super convenient for the customer. Remember that you don't care to insure aggressive price sensitive rate shoppers. What you want are the laziest car insurance premium payers out there. This is virtually a "and would you like fries with that" sort of upsell. The most lazy auto insurance customers will simply click the box to add insurance to their order for a new car and click to insure their other car too, all without even calling their current insurance carrier or looking at their deck page. OMG, this is exactly who you want on your insurance book of business. So putting the pieces together, I would suspect an insurance acquisition cost well below $100, and this is huge considering how desirable this customer base is.

I'd also point out to people that the actual underwriting losses in auto insurance is only about 65% of the premium paid. Most of the other expenses beyond the priced actuarial risk is marketing, sale and administrative expenses. It's that other 35% of premium where insurance companies make their profit or loss. (Plus the premiums get invested too for a profit, but that is a separate post.)

Absolutely, Tesla does not need to compete on price for this business. It needs fair pricing, but not price competitive pricing. That is not what this play is about. Rather it about customer relationship marketing, low acquisition cost, and really high value prospects.

Amen! Strange for a guy who once bought (and then totaled) a McLaren F1, to appear to be looking forward to the day when cars Tesla builds will have no steering wheel. Given the recent examples of EAP responding to prevent accidents when the driver hasn't taken action in time, there don't have to be laws or insurance straight jackets preventing owners from deciding when to let their FSD cars drive them or choose to drive themselves at times when that is enjoyable and safe for them and others.

1) Elon says he doesn't necessarily want a wheelless pedalless car future but he thinks it is inevitable. And it is better for Tesla and its shareholders to get there first.

2) Elon also said you can drive your current Tesla any way you wish while having Tesla insurance. But if you drive in a riskier manner you rates will be affected.

Last edited:

Neither have I. Nov '16 order, Dec '16 build, including FSD. Even e-mailed them about why no invite yet and no reply.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed