Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frustrating time to be a TSLA long .... as much as I believe in Elon and the company I'm no fan of his emails. I think he could learn how to say the same thing and lessen the impact on the stock price although I realize that he's never ben the smoothest communicator.

For the time being TSLA is in the doghouse and I'm not seeing any real positive numbers that would turn this thing around in the near term .... so I'll just hold on tight and keep faith that they are making pretty incredible cars that are still without any real competition. But for the time being the optimism that once drove the SP higher seems to be gone .....

Cheers to the longs ....

EM needs to send another email about MXWL acquisition and upcoming Insurance very soon.

BTW, is Robin Delholm full time in TSLA, her Telstra job was supposed to end around may 5th

Frustrating time to be a TSLA long .... as much as I believe in Elon and the company I'm no fan of his emails. I think he could learn how to say the same thing and lessen the impact on the stock price although I realize that he's never ben the smoothest communicator.

For the time being TSLA is in the doghouse and I'm not seeing any real positive numbers that would turn this thing around in the near term .... so I'll just hold on tight and keep faith that they are making pretty incredible cars that are still without any real competition. But for the time being the optimism that once drove the SP higher seems to be gone .....

Cheers to the longs ....

I agree, don’t see this turning around any time soon.

That being said, I bought 30 more shares this morning. This will be my last purchase into Tesla. I’ve decided that whatever happens, happens. I’m already way over leveraged. It’s been a fun ride but for my own health I now have to forget about the stock and hopefully come back to it in 1-2 years.

In fact if you hadn’t been paying attention and looked at the SP now you might get thinking Tesla was in big trouble.

831A68A6-35C5-427B-9D0B-51A32430451E.jpeg

As someone who has only been a shareholder in TSLA for a little over a year, I am loving the current SP!

I fully believe in the long-term prospects of Tesla, I believe the transition to sustainable transportation is one of the key vital MUST-DOs for humanity, I believe Tesla and Elon are on track, albeit not in Wall Street Quarterly-think. I mostly believe Tesla is "too big to fail" and that bankwupt will not happen, considering the seriously deep pocketed individuals and corporations in Elon's orbit that would step in if they were ever really required to. I believe Tesla and Elon are executing as they should.

And: I'm still in accumulation mode, and the low SP is just fantastic for me personally to continually bring my averages down.

Well, I'm off to do horrible medical things for the next week. My father, who is much much more brilliant and insightful than me, thinks Tesla is cheap at this price and is doing fine. As do I. We'll see if the stock price is still artificially depressed in June, or whether leaked delivery numbers start causing buyers to show up.

I noticed a few commercials for e-tron recently that touted the benefits of electric cars. That can only help Tesla as the market for EVs increases. I'm 100% convinced the market is shifting to EVs, and I can't imagine a scenario where Tesla isn't a big player in that market.

Agreed, but the real question really is whether the market will continue growing faster than the number of players competing in it and what that curve looks like.

You know, fundamentals of the company, that stuff... at some point it becomes obvious to enough buyers that the stock is a crazy good bargain. Below 180, I would say, certainly.

If you look at a four-quarter/one year rolling average of Tesla, even with the dumpster fire that was Q1, it was actually still an improvement.

TTMQ, Revenue, Profit/loss
2016Q4 $7,000m -$674m
2017Q1 $8,549m -$722m
2017Q2 $10,069m -$765m
2017Q3 $10,755m -$1,406m
2017Q4 $11,759m -$1,960m
2018Q1 $12,471m -$2,340m
2018Q2 $13,684m -$2,722m
2018Q3 $17,524m -$1,792m
2018Q4 $21,461m -$978m
2019Q1 $22,594m -$970m

If Tesla loses $250m in Q2, the 1YRA improves to ~$24.5-$25b in revenue and -$500m in profit, So the company is still heading in the right direction.

Hopefully Q4 numbers can push this into the plus category.

Cheers to the longs ....

Yes, we discussed earlier. I mean I am long, seems the derogatory term is a "bag holder", which is fine. But I do worry that the low SP is dangerous for Tesla, even though rationally it isn't.

I also get stressed by the low SP, it makes me miserable, even though I've no plans to sell and have plenty of time until retirement. It's a chronic stress for me.

And yes, don't look at the SP, leave the forum and live your life, I know, but I can't. I need to devour every bit of information I can.

“I'm optimistic about being profitable in Q1," Musk said on the company's fourth-quarter earnings call. "Not by a lot, but I am optimistic about being profitable in Q1 and all quarters going forward."
He warned us not just once but twice in that statement that he was being optimistic. I should have known better, but unfortunately, I ignored that very cautionary language and decided there really was the possibility of a slight profit. I now know when Elon actually states he is being optimistic, he really means that he is pretty much making a wild guess.

sorry if this was already posted, but the preliminary NTSB report

Highway Preliminary Report: HWY19FH008

So the semi was cutting across the highway and the driver did not see the semi and hit the trailer, shearing the roof off as it underrode the semi and killing the driver.

The question I have is how many times do non-Tesla vehicles collide with semi tractor-trailors performing this maneuver? And how many of those make national news? And how many manufacturer stocks plummet?

But why can't autopilot recognize a tractor trailer in front of it? It seems to me this would be a pretty easy thing to see and try to stop for. How long will it take AP to learn this? There will no FSD until it can overcome something this simple.

Wall St. does not like surprises unless its up. Q1 results were a surprise and not a good one. The best thing for Tesla's SP is for Q2's results to be what the guidance state, a loss but significantly smaller than Q1.

Other than pictures of GF3 completed in China, I do not see any Tesla news that going to change the negative narrative.

Time for Tesla to start making announcements after the fact. Example, the Battery Tech show and tell, when they have it, whatever is explained had better be in production already. That will stop the FUD, EM has no credibility in future announcements, time to change tact.

If real target of this email are investors and not employees, this could be Elon trying to engineer soft landing for this quarter; things could be worse than we know.

I hope this is not the case. However, historically with TSLA, it pays to always consider worst scenarios, should you care about short term.

As I exclusively look into long term now, It didn't stop me from converting back small chunk of FB into TSLA this morning.

The email doesn't make alot of sense. Part of Q1 loss is due to first time shipping to Europe
I don't see the email in the same light as others do. I find that when i read stuff written by elon, that I share a lot of his attitude to money, efficiency and so on. (sadly not quite the success though :D)

In my own business, I am super obsessed with efficiency too. I HATE to think I have wasted money, or have done something inefficiently, or could have sold more, or reached more people, and that sloppiness on my part has led to such a failure. I have effectively 1 other employee, and obsessing about deadlines and production with even this number drives me INSANE, and its not like my employee is lazy in any way.
The fact that my biz is doing well and I DEFINITELY do not need to to squeeze my own efficiency in this way, or obsess about it, is kinda irrelevant. its like optimization OCD and I cannot turn it off. My main products tagline is 'Efficiency is everything' :)
So anyway... I think I understand...

Elon has THOUSANDS of people working for him, with hundreds of processes, over multiple companies, and it probably drives him INSANE that he cannot be doing it all, and being as hyper-optimised as possible. He likely feels like a parent with 10,000 children looking on in horror at what they do and how they do it.

..plus...

he has tasted near bankruptcy before, many times, and knows how awful it is, and is likely a bit over-protective and paranoid. I totally understand this. I worry about my company's sales when all my friends think I'm nuts to worry. its just the way some people are.

I have zero worries about TSLA ever going bankrupt, unless 2 freak asteroid collisions take out both fremont and GF1. Even then I suspect GF3 would just pick up and do things anyway. Don't worry about the company with a much-lauded breakthrough product that still obsesses about efficiency. Worry about the lumbering dinosaurs with last century tech who have forgotten how to spell the word.
Current SP is total loony toons. Eventually people with calmer minds will realize that. probably when their neighbours start parking M3s in their driveways. Dont forget every buyer is also a potential stock buyer.

Although I share your general idea, this kind of perfectionist view sometimes hurt people around him and hurt business. His huge ego may have made it worse. Remember he made the pipeline so tight they didn't work?

Not to mention his behaviors have gave his enemies ample bullets to attack him, and us!.

I'm mad at him as hell

I don't know how to read into his internal emails, historically they gave unrealistic pictures all over the place.

This point I am hunkering down, bracing for impact on the possible Q2 delivery miss. There's just no way to know right now.

But I am not selling a share. All Tesla owners I know absolutely love their car despite of the problems, and would absolutely buy another one if the car needs replacing. This kind of brand loyalty for Mass produced product has only enjoyed by Apple.

Plus the fact that without Tesla, nobody would work on EVs. In several years as the planet continue to heat up, people will wake up.

And I don't believe for a minute only us see the value in this kind of brand loyalty and battery technology. So I don't believe Tesla will go bankrupt.

If I am wrong, I guess I will just lose all the money I put in Tesla shares.

Those objections don't make sense. Even in the worst case bankruptcy scenario somebody would come in and buy out Tesla and then continue to support the vehicles.
That's not what people are looking for when they make $40,000+ purchases. Just tell them even if Tesla does go bankrupt, someone will come along and buy them out?

But why can't autopilot recognize a tractor trailer in front of it? It seems to me this would be a pretty easy thing to see and try to stop for. How long will it take AP to learn this? There will no FSD until it can overcome something this simple.
Why do you think it did not?

okay, in case you didn't read any of those posts and this is just an honest jumping to "but autopilot!!!!! OMOGGBBQ!!!"

The NTSB preliminary report (which I linked) is silent on the distance between the Tesla and the semi when the semi failed to yield right of way and pulled out in front of it. Maybe it was 10 minutes, but the frame they posted is clearly from the Tesla and it shows close proximity to an intersection, the approach to which is obstructed by trees.

What we know:
- the semi failed to yield right of way
- the semi slowed while in front of the Tesla
- the semi recklessly pulled out without a view of the traffic it was obstructing
- the Tesla was close to the intersection when this happened
- the Tesla was moving quickly (speed limit was 55mph, Tesla was 68mph, unknown what other traffic was doing)
- there was a vehicle in front of the Tesla so the semi approaching the intersection would have seen it whip by as a reminder that there was right of way traffic

What we don't know:
- how fast did the semi recklessly drive
- just what little fraction of time the semi gave the Tesla before impact

But, the NTSB knows the answers to all of this. The Tesla dashcam video shows the semi pulling out in front. The movement between frames allows them to calculate the velocity with fair precision. It also shows the moment the semi driver pulled out, if he edged out first or simply came flying out at 45 mph while slamming the brakes to make his left turn.

The NTSB knows the answers and could have included them in the preliminary report, but they chose not to. But they did choose to include that AP was engaged 10s prior to the accident as if that were even relevant -- in terms of this accident it was currently engaged and that is the only thing that is relevant. What does it matter if it was 10s or 10m or 10h?

So, if you really think that it is so simple to avoid a vehicle that suddenly pulls in front of you, at speed, where you had no visibility as to its approach.

Well, it is clear why Tesla isn't employing you.

Last edited: