Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla makes an amazing product .... but I have to say that their whole manufacturing, marketing and pricing strategy needs a LOT of help. If you stop and think about how well received the cars and then look at what people think of the stock, it's really a head scratcher. Something is really getting lost in the translation ..... WHY did they have a reveal of the Y when it was 2 years off from actually being sold is just one of a million problems I'm seeing.

I love the product, but I'm not loving TESLA at the moment .... nor the stock. They really have to start making smarter decisions.

People are really overreacting here IMHO. FFS elon sends a 'we need to cut costs where we can' email. Its what he does. he has sent them before and will send them in the future.
Maxwell went through. Thats great. Tesla already crushes everyone else with battery efficiency, now its going to get even better. Capital was raised, Model Y announced, GF3 progress is insane, reviews of model 3 all over the world are incredible, autopilot finally starting to get better, new HW3 is now being installed, dedicated chip for NN is a real thing, and people are slowly coming round to teslas stance on lidar.
Meanwhile audi aren't exactly having a trouble free e-tron experience, and I dont see a flood of i-paces either.
Oh and uber and lyft are tanking, and even if trade wars continue, tesla are the only western car company building EVs in china anyway...

So nothing but good, good, excellent, awesome, positive and amazing news.

No wonder the FUD and bullshit is in overdrive trying to kill the company. This may be their last opportunity.

Brutal ending to a brutal week.

Last weeks I'm just looking forward to weekends so markets are closed but the company progresses day by day

Pretty brutal day. Glad I got out when I did a few weeks ago. Anyway, I wouldn't consider buying again now. If it hit's $180 or close to that maybe, but I will still wait and see at that level, but it could bounce up quick at 180, or fall more....a gamble at this point!

Remember: Buy low, sell high! :) If you are stuck now in the red I feel for you! The market manipulators want you to sell low...remember that.

Surely can't be that expensive? Could at least be a requirement for any new trailers being manufactured.
I can't imagine more than a couple grand. Just some basic steel welded to the frame. But we know how industries generally operate. Fight tooth and nail against any change. If you can spend 5 million lobbying against a change that will cost you 10 million, they do it.
Pretty brutal day. Glad I got out when I did a few weeks ago. Anyway, I wouldn't consider buying again now. If it hit's $180 or close to that maybe, but I will still wait and see at that level, but it could bounce up quick at 180, or fall more....a gamble at this point!

Remember: Buy low, sell high! :) If you are stuck now in the red I feel for you! The market manipulators want you to sell low...remember that.
Shorts only make money when you sell at a loss. ;) That's the whole point of the manipulation and FUD after all right?

My post here pretty much sums it up

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

The model 3 ramp was not organic. You can't ramp up overseas logistics from S/X volumes to suddenly 2-3k a week in a Q1. It creates tons of waste in money, you're going to have quarters with large inventories that hit profits and cash flow, etc... Demand has never and still isn't an issue for Model 3, nor will it be for the foreseeable future.

Thank you! I do appreciate your post. It makes sense, from that point of view. However, is the cost of getting international logistics figured out so high as to cause the huge difference in quarters?

Also, a question I left out of my previous post, that was key to the post:

If demand is fine, why the huge price reductions in 2019? If the company is struggling to be profitable and demand is good, then why would you cut prices?

I have a dream (pipe dream and it'll never happen). We small retail investors who intend to hold all the way to 0 become large enough to hold a large enough fraction of TSLA (along with Elon and his other faithful) that the institutions that are just gaming the system are locked out. We are also have to stop loaning to shorts. If that were to happen, there would be no need to go private.

The problem is that every time Tesla issues new stock, like they did last month, we get further from that point. A short squeeze is not technically plausible any more because too many shares are available for fickle institutions, rather than locked up by long-term holders.

Uhhh, am I the only one who interpreted the 10 months thing as "we burned a lot of cash in Q1, we need to be more responsible and burn way less cash going forward. Don't think of the 2.4 billion as money falling out of the sky moment. Think of it as you owe it to these investors to cut cost"....

No where in this email did I get the impression that Tesla is going bankrupt in 10 months. During the conference call, Musk alluded that rising capital kind of reduces the stress to cut cost for everyone, hence he rather raise capital cautiously making cost cutting his primary objective. This email mirrors exactly that sentiment.

Thank you! I do appreciate your post. It makes sense, from that point of view. However, is the cost of getting international logistics figured out so high as to cause the huge difference in quarters?

Also, a question I left out of my previous post, that was key to the post:

If demand is fine, why the huge price reductions in 2019? If the company is struggling to be profitable and demand is good, then why would you cut prices?
What huge price reductions?

The very tippy-top-end Performance models saw huge price reductions. Apparently Tesla's run out of people with more money than sense. That's too bad, I guess.

The other models saw what I can only call extremely modest changes in price.

• Funny
Reactions: GeoX750
So as not to be misinterpreted, the email I just got from Tesla:

"We're making improvements to our factory. Since safety of our guests is our number one priority, we need to cancel the tour. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd like to reschedule your appointment for a future date, we're happy to coordinate with you once the factory improvements are complete."

Something is going on, I suspect beyond just cost cutting.

EDIT: No estimated date yet for resuming, told I will be emailed once available.

Well, they said they’d be scaling up raven production through June.

I have friends driving Japanese/German cars that are Tesla curious but have similar reservations about Tesla financial health and long term viability even though I've unabashedly tried to sell them on the car despite my own problems with my copy.

It's easy to stereotype everyone who has reservations about TSLA as a bunch of ignorant pickup driving hillbillies but that hasn't been my experience at all. The one "pickup driving hillbilly" that I do know thought my car was amazing and couldn't stop gushing about how he'd mortgage his left nut to get the pickup if it ever ships.
Tell them they are playing russian roulette with the planet. Ask them what they think the impact is of pumping trillions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Get them to start thinking about it on a deeper level

Tell them they are playing russian roulette with the planet. Ask them what they think the impact is of pumping trillions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Get them to start thinking about it on a deeper level

indeed. people worry about the long term viability of a car company, but not about the long term viability of the ecosystem their kids will have to live in.

Quickly approaching three years or pre-tax salary. I'm completely out of money and will barely have enough to scrap by the next few months. The only way I can profit (for lack of a better word) is to turn my Jan21s into Jan20s, but that's extremely risky.
Leveraging up makes sense when we finally reverse course, but be patient or do it in tranches.