Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing that is materially worse it's the constant loss of executives. If it wasn't for this I would probably be doubling down. I don't buy the argument that is normal for the Valley when there is so much potential with Tesla (see Ark). I'm a big fan, have an S, bought stock,etc. We on this board can't be blind to the executive churn and just dismiss it so casually as we have done.
Based on the executives I've seen over the course of my career, I'd say that would be a plus rather than a minus. Most executives have zero knowledge of the actual business and are only interested in how they can increase their pay, whether or not it actually harms the business.

OT

Really? Each satellite does onboard orbit prediction for every space object that could be a hazard? Is that documented somewhere?

Just not sure I see the advantage of doing that in a distributed way rather than a centralized ground-based function. You would have to update and uplink the potential hazardous objects' ephemerides every couple of days to every satellite.

I’m sure it could be done, I’m just not seeing the advantage.

They mentioned the avoidance system in the launch broadcast.

When you have 12k satellites versus 34k objects (22k current objects plus 12k satellites), that is 408 million potential collisions at any point in time. If those 12k sats move, then the data needs recalculated.
Each satellite is self guided with a star tracker to allow it to steer the beams to their targets and to create the laser inter satellite links. To make these links, they also need to know where the closest satellites are. Thus they already have position data on 12k out of the 34k objects. Additionally, they do not need to check against objects that do not cross their orbit, increasing the Starlink to other object ratio. So the objects they need to be most aware of are other Starlink satellites.

In the (mangled) words of Pogo: we have met the object and he is us.

@EVNow Thought you'd like to know that you were quoted in Cleantechnica: Porsche 911 Fanatics, Volvo Fanatics, Lexus & Ford Mustang Fanatics Become Tesla Model 3 & Model S Fanatics | CleanTechnica

upload_2019-5-25_5-54-26.png

EDIT: Oops.. just realized, that was @ZachShahan quoting you haha.

I don’t want to be rude, but you have forgotten the first and most important investment rule; don’t put more money to one investment than you can lose without losing sleep.
Haha, yes, but I'm cheap as hell. I was looking for some caffeine at work yesterday morning. I went to the vending machine to get a soda (which I usually never drink). I was like, "$1.50!! No way!" I was sleepy the entire day....

The underwriters didn't have to expand the offering or take the "greenshoe" options. What happened is that the underwriters got actual, real purchase demand for ALL the shares, which is why they expanded the offering and took all the options; they were left with no position themselves.

They then proceeded, at least in the case of Morgan Stanley, to attempt to hurt the clients who had bought the shares from them by driving the stock price down. Both MS and GS have been documented to do this sort of thing in the past to other stocks. They consider their clients to be marks and targets, not customers. (Which is why I don't work with those banks, and I wish Tesla would work with reputable banks instead.)

I suspect the purchasers mostly are sitting on their shares, quietly, long-term. If anything, the offering means that those purchasers aren't buying shares on the open market now, when they otherwise would have been -- if a customer bought half a million shares from GS during the offering, they won't be buying that half a million shares on the open market now.
So in effect, even without the smear campaign from Jonas, this has the effect of softening demand for the actual public shares? That suggests that stocks would predictably drop after such an offering then, unless they are in a strongly positive momentum environment where there is a large surplus of buyers vs sellers.

Reactions: Boomer19
They mentioned the avoidance system in the launch broadcast.

When you have 12k satellites versus 34k objects (22k current objects plus 12k satellites), that is 408 million potential collisions at any point in time. If those 12k sats move, then the data needs recalculated.
Each satellite is self guided with a star tracker to allow it to steer the beams to their targets and to create the laser inter satellite links. To make these links, they also need to know where the closest satellites are. Thus they already have position data on 12k out of the 34k objects. Additionally, they do not need to check against objects that do not cross their orbit, increasing the Starlink to other object ratio. So the objects they need to be most aware of are other Starlink satellites.

In the (mangled) words of Pogo: we have met the object and he is us.
Seriously, get
NextSpaceflight.com
app for desktop or phone
Go to previous flites ( or future ones) about Starlink
There you will get “the skinny” about what’s happening why, etc etc etc

I call bullshit. Riverboat gambler's wouldn't even place that bet. :rolleyes:

CPA's wouldn't lose their job; they'd be fired for reckless personal conduct.

Nice try, noobie. Troll elsewhere.

Although I wouldn’t recommend what he’s doing, it’s less crazy than dumping all $180m someone has into 3 risky startups. Besides, even if it’s his biggest bet, it may not be that big relative to his net assets or income.

Inventory M3 sold out again in SE Florida yesterday. Also noticed the past couple resupplies of SR+ all had 19in sport wheels upgrade.

Sold out everywhere... based on ev-cpo.com, there's only 39 available in the US, and 24 available in Canada! Plus, who knows how many of those have sold out since the last time ev-cpo updated.

I don’t understand your math. 60 000/100 = 600$? ATH is 387 $.
I didn't do any math. He owns about 100 different stocks, not just TSLA. He had 60k worth of TSLA stock that he had bought. The stock price went down about 30% from his purchase price. I don't know exactly, but I think he bought somewhere around $300. The 30% loss is a rough number. He may have lost a bit more.

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I didn't do any math. He owns about 100 different stocks, not just TSLA. He had 60k worth of TSLA stock that he had bought. The stock price went down about 30% from his purchase price. I don't know exactly, but I think he bought somewhere around $300. The 30% loss is a rough number. He may have lost a bit more.

If he didn’t sell when it went up 30% why sell when it goes down 30%

I don’t want to be rude, but you have forgotten the first and most important investment rule; don’t put more money to one investment than you can lose without losing sleep.
It's a great rule. Sometimes it requires breaking that rule in order to fully appreciate the reason for it. I'm guessing there are a few here on the forum who have broken it, myself included.:(

How many folks here think the last email about production was Elon's subtle way to antagonize the SEC. :)

Funny I have not been able to find the full email (positive news). But the cost cutting email (which i think was positive as well) was published in full and distorted all over the place.

May be just the fan boy part of me being skeptical :)