Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CTO JB Straubel excercises ~$3 million in options as office presence called 'scarce' - Electrek

yikes I've always said I wouldn't worry too much about the exec departures/company culture as long as JB and Franz stick around but this is basically Tesla's longest employee. I'd guess he's spending more and more time on his own recycling startup.

would explain why he's been selling all those shares though I guess

if this isn't true though, and he's just been spending more time at Giga or Maxwell it highlights the incompetence of Tesla PR.
People with concentrated holdings have a problem. To invest or buy anything else, they need to sell current holdings or take out a huge loan like EM has done.

We should expect execs to exercise options and sell those shares regularly - that's how they pay for their taxes and general expenses.

The China event will not have any significant postive effect on the SP. Don’t fool yourself. Just look at all the previous events Tesla had. Remember how bullish people were about the autonomy investor day? Unveiling event of model Y, which is supposed to be a bigger seller than the 3?

Didn’t have any financial gain from calling this. So, not trying to say “I told you so.” But, quoting this to remind people what does and does not matter regarding TSLA. It’s very predictable but many optimists responded disagreeing.

Unlike with other established companies, for better or worse, there are simply only 2 numbers that will have a sustained effect: deliveries and profits.
FSD - doesn’t matter right now
Robotaxi - definitely not
China 3 - no. Someone here mentioned positive response from model 3 unveil and 100,000’s reservation numbers, but look at what happened to SP starting just a few weeks afterwards for the next 6 months. Nothing but down.

Last edited:
Nothing changed except IMO they didn't have an end point on the promotion, and now they do.

Re: Chinese 3 price... I'm relieved it's not super super low. They need to stabilise manufacturing and suppliers' pricing before they can go lower. (and when they find they can, perhaps they won't... profit is nice)

Profit, or cost of doing business in China? Myself, I wondered why it wouldn't be closer to $30K for Chinese. Why more there, or is it a new variant? Isn't Tesla making nearly all their parts, so couldn't be shipping 3rd party parts to China.

I do welcome a Tesla taking some profit (like what... 30-40% margins in China?), but history and mission tells me the long game is low as you can go. Not great for current stock prices, but Tesla is far from a "Niche" market as some bears suggested today.

If Tesla China is 100% US owned, does China get anything out of this (other than more choices in going EV and interest on a loan). What am I missing?

if it weren't true that JB has been winding down his Tesla presence then its kinda inexplicable why that report hasn't been shot down by Tesla PR

Why even respond to the bullshit from electrek lately? Elon already responded to that toilet paper nonsense. Fred is just seeking attention now. Either that or he's on a power trip.

People with concentrated holdings have a problem. To invest or buy anything else, they need to sell current holdings or take out a huge loan like EM has done.

We should expect execs to exercise options and sell those shares regularly - that's how they pay for their taxes and general expenses.

The main point of the article was not about the insignificant number of shares sold. It was about his “absence” from the company. Not sure how that went right over your head.

TL;DR: this gives Tesla both a die utilization advantage (they can use a billion transistors/gates for real computation, not to handle a complicated instruction set), but also gives them a very significant power consumption advantage, which directly transforms into more performance: the power budget is actually the main performance constraint on modern desktop CPUs for example - only so much power can be pumped into a chip before it melts.

For Wall Street much of the chip design details offered on Autonomy Day was all a giant woosh though - but it gives Tesla a real competitive advantage measured in years even compared to other chip-makers. Other carmakers? This is so outside their usual comfort zone that I think they can realistically only hope that other chip-makers are going to sell a usuable FSD solution to them, and they'll suffer the disadvantages of horizontal outsourcing of a key competency (car computing) for decades. How they are going to train their neural nets I have no idea. Tesla's lead appears insurmountable there.

Thanks for the detailed write-up. There is one assumption we are all working on...and that's that deep learning networks, even assuming all necessary training data, are going to be able to learn and perform a FSD car to the number of 9's that are needed to let me sleep.

I am not 100% convinced this is true yet. it may be, but it may not be. I am probably around 90% certainty level which is good, but not fully convinced they can handle all cases even with all the proper training data.

if it weren't true that JB has been winding down his Tesla presence then its kinda inexplicable why that report hasn't been shot down by Tesla PR

Maybe they rolled their eyes and didn't want to give him the vacuous follow-up to the vacuous story with which vacuous journalists use to fill their vacuums.

Has JB Straubel's selling of shares changed?
What are JB Straubel's areas of expertise?
Where do they make the related products?

I
Tesla CTO JB Straubel excercises ~$3 million in options as office presence called 'scarce' - Electrek

yikes I've always said I wouldn't worry too much about the exec departures/company culture as long as JB and Franz stick around but this is basically Tesla's longest employee. I'd guess he's spending more and more time on his own recycling startup.

would explain why he's been selling all those shares though I guess

if this isn't true though, and he's just been spending more time at Giga or Maxwell it highlights the incompetence of Tesla PR.

This is absolute nonsense... JB Straubel isn't doing anything differently than what he normally does:

upload_2019-5-31_10-28-12.png

Note the shares held remains the same the whole time.

EDIT: Fred is such a tool. o_O

But it isn't $10k US less. It is more like $3k US less. (The RHD countries get the P3D- unless they pay more for the performance add-on hardware.)
This is strange. They removed P +/- differences to streamline production and now those differences are back?

Checked again and could not see any Ravens in inventory, so they’re targeting to finish dumping pre-raven models before EoQ.
One strange thing is inventory for S is going up somewhat in U.S. 400->500->600(and I assume they sell some too). It seems these are not ravens, so where do they come from?

Maybe they are also clearing floor models?

I tend to go with the second version. As far as I understand, the Perf. cars are almost identical to the LR AWDs (are they still doing that double burn-in on the motors, or pick the top n% performing motors?), maybe minor HW extra costs, mainly SW difference. Meaning that the margin cut is not that significant after all. But the intention is clearly to maximise deliveries this quarter. So I'm preparing myself to be pleasantly surprised when Q2 delivery numbers are reported
I think RHD orders will not affect Q2 numbers, they are going to Q3.
And with the China pricing revealed yesterday, it seems that there'll be a lot of Q3 deliveries in China for those previously sitting on the fence.

Q2 should be good -it will be supply limited.

Q3 looks to be the same way - they'll have more orders than they can deliver due to RHD countries and China, even considering some possible drop in U.S. demand due to -$1875 FTC and satisfying initial pent up demand for SR+.

The main point of the article was not about the insignificant number of shares sold. It was about his “absence” from the company. Not sure how that went right over your head.

'Two sources who have worked with Straubel told Electrek recently that Straubel’s presence at Tesla’s headquarters in Palo Alto has been “scarce” over the last 6 months.'

I'll believe it when it's not two unnamed sources.

Wonderful post, thanks so much!

I have never traded in convertible bonds but have been aware of them. Seems I should think seriously about this.

I have to say, that stock sale proceeds moving into Tesla convertible bonds has to add downward pressure on the stock price as I see it. This would be part of the downward drift we are seeing. Many trying to quietly move out/over without dropping the price too abruptly perhaps.

My other question is what is the effect at the end of the day - maturity? Assuming a rise in stock price, does conversion only happen financially or are shares delivered? Where do those shares come from and what is the effect?

Finally, it would seem that driving shares to convertibles through aggressive shorting is likely part (a tool) of a larger strategy played by the house professionals. Possibly part of a reversible strategy depending on the direction of stock price momentum?

I don't know how much these affect stock prices, but there's less than $2B worth and volume is maybe a dozen transactions daily excluding dealers.
Bond Trade Activity Search Results

If you ask your broker to convert, the shares are delivered to you. If you fail to file by maturity, you receive face value so don't forget the date. You can also convert when the SP stays high enough for awhile, but that would discard the time value so I imagine most people would sell the convertible.

I considered some shorts to protect my convertibles against the worst case scenario, but it would wipe out the discount, coupons, and more so it didn't seem worth it.

The prospectus touches on a lot more, such as taxes in event of conversion. I highly encourage reading it.

'Two sources who have worked with Straubel told Electrek recently that Straubel’s presence at Tesla’s headquarters in Palo Alto has been “scarce” over the last 6 months.'

Yep. Remember all the noise and speculation a few years ago when Jerome disappeared? Turn out he was working on the Semi.

Unnamed is fine, but that is very vague lol. Even if his presence is scarce, it's different than not seeing him at all. If they haven't seen him in 6 months, then that may be more cause for alarm.

• Love
Reactions: LST
I don’t put much interest in Fred, but this—if true—is the kind of *sugar* that can derail TSLA for an extended period of time. I hope there is a good, innocent explanation for this. I can already see the FUD spin now based off of this report. So, Tesla better have a response ready.

Can’t help but thinking that’s not a lot of money for someone like JB. The guy is still holding >300,000 shares and, last I heard, doesn’t accept a salary. Can’t live off shares/options alone.

• Funny
Reactions: tander and neroden

This forum can be so delusional it’s scary at times. Fred has an anonymous employee on record reporting this, the employee could beey easily be wrong which makes the lack of tesla statement regarding this to be concerning.

Also there has been scuttlebutt about Jb leaving ever since his startup became public knowledge.