Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buying 1 share at $500 is different than buying 2 shares, since you can further split down to either $250 for one if the person needed to allocate funds elsewhere that time, or $750, if they had an additional amount.

It's also somewhat psychological. Like the fact that if i get 2 burgers for the price of $10, or 1 burger for the price of $10, even if the exact volume is the same between them, it feels like more and a better purchase. I love Tesla, and I very firmly believe it's a wonderful company that will succeed, but I am not a rich person with piles of cash to fling about. Spending $500 at a time to get two shares vs, the same for one, eh... I probably would just stop buying shares.
Perhaps you should stop buying shares. But anyway, there's a number of reasons that stock splits have gone out of fashion.Until the rise of discount, online brokerages, the minimum number of shares you could transact was usually 100. So a stock price north of $50 was a real barrier to entrance for small players. If you have trouble with $500, imagine how it would have been if the entrance fee was $5000 in 1999 dollars? Also, there is a cost associated with each shareholder in internal accounting, mailing fees, vote counting, etc... the companies are quite happy to have fewer shareholders, especially the ones who buy 1 share so they can complain about their bicycles.

i show ~5.2m as of right now!

and they’re doing a decent job spinning it as a ‘no big deal’ - what a joke
as expected, though.
i’m a pessimist, but i own tsla like an optimist. never-ending war with myself :eek:

Shorter’s anonymous club:

Tesla just had its biggest quarter in its history again, and I’m calling this meeting as I have two questions: first, how is everyone feeling, still great? And my second question is can they sustain?

Ok, I admit there’s millions of us holding short, and although none of us saw this coming, I doubt they can sustain. We were wrong in Q3 AND as well as Q4 2018, but what really matters is that we were right in Q1 2019. This is definitely one of those rare quarters that we were wrong, right? After all, we’re 1 for 4 the last 4 quarters, I mean those odds are better than David Tamberrino at Goldman Sachs...

Yea sure SX sales were good, but what’s troubling is that they have to refresh in order to sustain demand. Yea sure half of new car sales in Norway were EVs, but what really matters is that Tesla still hasn’t made its way to the natives of the Amazonian rain forest, yet. Once that happens, then it would be my signal to get out, but it hasn’t happened yet, ohhhh no friends, it’s going to take decades to clear that rainforest and build little roads there.

Currently the stock is up $13-14 give or take, it could have been up $23-$33 this morning, but I asked my friends at CNBC to downplay Tesla’s achievements, so don’t worry...

I feel great going into Q3 with Tesla Shanghai about to have a disastrous ramp, I expect it to be similar to the butchered Model 3 ramp last year. What I’m slightly worried about is that Musk hasn’t tweeted much lately, he’s actually sticking to the conditions/agreements with our friends at the Short Sellers Enrichment Club. Knowing Musk, this can’t sustain...

I want to end this meeting by asking that everyone take a deep breath, calm down, we have it under control. Just hold steady, don’t panic, it’s just one lucky quarter. Because if any of you SOB start to buy to cover, it’s going to cause a panic. So hold tight and we’ll ALL be fine. You understand?

Last edited:
Elon replied to the fake capitulation of the parody TeslaCharts account though. (Which parody account is hilarious btw.)

The TSLAQ TeslaCharts account is:

TeslaCharts @TeslaCharts
the parody account is:

TeslaCharts @TesIaCharts​

Note the homoglyphs: "l" (small L) vs. "I" (capital I).

Elon replied to the parody account.
Somebody should create a CNBC parody account too..."Hey guys, we're just a bunch of idiots here, don't listen to us. Btw, we'll be replacing bear analysts with bulls to correct our mistake".

Someone mentioned it earlier about Nokia and Blackberry, but what Tesla is doing with EVs is kind of comparable to the shift from keyboard phones to smart phones. Legacy automakers and analysts think that putting icons on a dumb phone is sufficient to make it an iPhone killer. As if it is just the icons that make it smart. They just don't get it. It's not the batteries and the motor, but the whole experience that makes Tesla stand apart.

It's more than that. Auto mfging isn't as trivial as cellphone or laptop mfging. The lead Tesla has in batteries alone is enough to destroy the legacy auto mfgs. We don't even need to go into their lead in software integration and ground up EV design.

I've updated my model with the actual production & delivery numbers.

Bottom line in Q2 : 195M gaap loss, break-even on non-gaap, $1.4B positive operating cash flow.

That cash generation is going to make shorts cry.

Near-future quarterly financial projections

Could be a great moment to cash-in some ZEV credits and ask FCA to cough-up...

Somebody should create a CNBC parody account too..."Hey guys, we're just a bunch of idiots here, don't listen to us. Btw, we'll be replacing bear analysts with bulls to correct our mistake".

Could possibly be taken down based on trademark and copyright grounds.

The TSLAQ TeslaCharts account on the other hand is anonymous and (ab-)uses a trademark itself, it has very few legal grounds to take down the parody account AFAICS - although I'm sure he's trying.

There's also a broad First Amendment exception for parody.

Lesson for today: when conmen get conned they don't run to the police. :D

The big European ZEV credits start in 2020, i.e. not this year - and it's unclear to what extent Tesla can cash in on European ZEVs and the FCA deal right now. There's possibly some early payments by FCA, but the timing and conditions are unclear.

That's why Q2 record deliveries is IMHO such an unmitigated disaster for TSLAQ morale: it's only going to get better for Tesla from now on.

Could possibly be taken down based on trademark and copyright grounds.

The TSLAQ TeslaCharts account on the other hand is anonymous and (ab-)uses a trademark itself, it has very few legal grounds to take down the parody account AFAICS - although I'm sure he's trying.

There's also a broad First Amendment exception for parody.

Lesson for today: when conmen get conned they don't run to the police. :D
As long as it is not for profit you would be protected by fair use. They would probably send a letter but it would be safely ignored.

Or keep it for a rainy day.

I was earlier thinking, Tesla will rollout advanced summon so they can recognize all of EAP deferred income. But they didn't do it. Still tweaking summon.

Regarding FCA, the contract may tie credits to deliveries. So, while they can ask FCA for money in advance, they can't recognize it. They can only recognize the portion that they delivered (which they will - otherwise the margin will be bad).

BTW, I don't think gaap profit will generate a short squeeze, if they have used a lot of ZEV credits etc (i.e. one time revenues). For a short squeeze, you need bear capitulation.

As long as there's no more bkrupcy narrative, people will gain more confidence in the company.

Just imagine that this record quarter was in the background of a bunch of potential buyers thinking the company might go bankrupt.

Since Musk's email got twisted into 'bankrupt in 10 months', my wife has asked me TWICE if Tesla is going to go bankrupt. o_O

"Elon Musk probably comes closest." That's from Bob Lutz, who worked side by side with Lee Iacocca for almost two decades when asked what auto executive reminds him the most of Iacocca.
@lebeaucarnews

Becoming more clear that whoever pays Lutz’s wages has changed sides, else he’s started lobbying for someone new.
He's getting closer to meeting his maker, and trying to atone for past sins, perhaps.

So regarding the new default simple white paint, it's not happening yet.
We seem to have forgotten about this.

"Starting next month, Tesla will charge $1000 for color black (same price as silver)"
Elon Musk on Twitter

Just checked, black is still included with no extra charge.
Punctuality still needs improving.o_O
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 11.19.17 PM.png