Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should not come as a surprise to anyone that GM Cruise is delayed. Indications are that they are -- at best -- having difficulty meeting their investment milestones. That has bearing here as the article fails to note this where it is relevant. That is, they make it sound like the investment money has happened when it only gets unlocked by meeting milestones.

Compare this
That optimism is one reason why the Softbank Vision Fund, Honda and others have invested more than $7.25 billion into Cruise, pushing its valuation to $19 billion last May, according to company figures.

with this
SoftBank says it factored in setbacks for the technology into its $2.25 billion agreement with Cruise. One provision says more than half of SoftBank's investment will come only when Cruise can commercially deploy vehicles in fully driverless operation, according to GM public filings.
GM Cruise self-driving cars draw big investors but are having problems

Then there is the usual misdirection about Waymo's supposed lead:
Late last year, Waymo, Alphabet’s autonomous vehicle division, launched its own commercial ride-share service in metropolitan Phoenix.
You'd be forgiven for thinking that sentence said Waymo had launched an autonomous ride-share as opposed to the human driver ride-share. Misleading, but it doesn't actually lie.

and finally attempts to imply that Tesla is somehow behind:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has promised to have “a million robotaxis” on the road by the end of 2020, capitalizing on Tesla’s autopilot technology.

“I feel very confident predicting autonomous robotaxis for Tesla next year,” Musk told analysts in May. He later admitted his timing for plans is sometimes wrong.
There's all kinds of wrong with that. First, they are using CNBCs twisting of what Musk said. What he actually said was that there would be around a million Tesla's with the hardware capability of being robotaxis by the end of 2020. Not that there would be robotaxis. In fact, that is so disingenuous given that he clearly stated there would not be robotaxis until after 2020 that it can only be interpreted as a deliberate lie.

The second "quote" is no better because it is either entirely fabricated or is a partial fabrication or is omitting context. I watched the autonomy day presentation and Musk never said what that quote is implying. Again, his guidance was for "feature complete" by end of 2019, "safe enough" by end of 2020, and "approved by regulators" at some unknown point in the future.

Then tossing in Musk's "admission" is just to add to the negative weight against Tesla's ability to reach autonomy. If the author didn't have an anti-Tesla bias they would have added, "but sometimes its 'wrong' because it is ahead of schedule." Like the Model 3, which is behind the accelerated schedule but way ahead of the original plan.

Lies, damn lies, and CNBC reporters. Blech.

Just placed bets on Aug 23 300 calls for 2.95. Plan to close tomorrow regardless. Who needs Vegas when there’s Tesla earnings?

Suggest you wait 3-4 days after earnings. Even excellent results take a few days to sink in/for the shorts spend their hoarded borrowed shares. (what happened back in 2013 when SP went from 30-180 and 2016 sp180-350). Both times the SP reacted negative for 3-5 days if I remember correct.

I don't think the argument was not over whether women drive trucks or not, but that the Ford F-150 commercial only "showed off" to men and one of whom claimed that he "drives his women in his truck on dates" or words to that effect. As women stereotypically tend to dress up for said dates, there naturally is some issues with the dress and entering into a theoretically raised/higher truck cabin.

I know women who drive trucks because they have horses. I know women who have raised trucks because they like them. I'd argue that truck ownership tends to be male heavy, but that's not saying women don't buy/use trucks.

Although, I'd think that there will be more women who get an electric truck then men, or it'll be closer to even. Mostly because a lot of people buy big diesel trucks because of the perceived masculinity with it, not because they need it. For a while, I don't think people will associate an electric vehicle, even a truck, as particularly masculine.
Only about 16% of pick up truck owners are women.
Pickup Truck Owner Demographics: F150, Silverado, Sierra, Ram, Tundra

Most pick up owners never tow or go off road. The facts are that for the vast majority of owners it's just a cultural signifier, a living country music song. I don't see EV trucks changing that much myself, especially as Tesla owners skew heavily male as well.

Side note, that Ford commercial is a joke. World record for a single man pulling train cars is almost half of what the truck pulled.

Suggest you wait 3-4 days after earnings. Even excellent results take a few days to sink in/for the shorts spend their hoarded borrowed shares. (what happened back in 2013 when SP went from 30-180 and 2016 sp180-350). Both times the SP reacted negative for 3-5 days if I remember correct.

Good point on the upside. Was thinking more about fair to mediocre results - time value must be around -5% daily for this? I never bought options this close to expiration.

Last edited:
I'd guess due to the SpaceX CRS-18 launch to the ISS that is scheduled shortly before the earnings call:

Instantaneous window means there's no same-day scrub, any scrub delays the launch by ~24 hours.

The earnings call is 6:30 ET - which I'd not be surprised to see delayed by a few minutes while Elon follows the CRS launch. It's about T+12 minutes after liftoff that it's clear whether all fine with the launch, that's when the Dragon solar arrays deploy in a nominal launch.

That's around 6:36 ET, and I'd expect Elon to show up at around 6:40 ET at the latest.

At least that's how I'm reading the timestamps.

So Elon finally did it ! Two lift-offs within 24 hours ! WOW

Except only one will be a rocket, the other one will be Tesla SP :D

Lots of stuff happening today. ARK Invest is having their 'Big Ideas Summit 2019' presentation today as well:

upload_2019-7-24_8-9-22.png

Almost nobody has air conditioning in France... neither most of public transportation... :eek:

Back on Tesla, is there a reason the postponed the ER call? 00:30 will be hard...
39° here in Paris, 40° inside my flat (I work in remote because the temperature in the office is even worse). No AC, no fan, no air flow, just litters of water. I avoid the public transport by biking. I'm getting used to the heat waves so it's OK. But god we should act urgently to prevent that in the future!

The new wiring design patent seems much less likely to be used for Model Y. Does anyone recall Elon talking about less wiring after changing his mind about building Y on a new platform in August 2017? I think this new wiring will more likely be introduced with the Pickup.

I'm pretty sure that they were still talking about reduced wiring in the Y even after backing off from a new platform.

My recollection as well, was that in response to a question, Elon said the new wiring was still planned for Model Y even though it would not have a completely new platform.

Last edited:
Looks like short sellers are selling:

$TSLA short int is $10.17 bn; 39.10 mm shs shorted; 29.69% of float; 0.90% borrow fee. Shs shorted are down -1.7 mm, -4.10%, over the past week as stock price rose +3.09%. We saw 2.4 mm shs of short covering yesterday. Shorts are down -$1.50 bn in mark-to-market losses in July

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

Just placed bets on Aug 23 300 calls for 2.95. Plan to close tomorrow regardless. Who needs Vegas when there’s Tesla earnings?

You and me. I bought the Aug16 300 calls in the week before delivery results came out @ 1.89. Currently @ 2.42.

Might sell a few Thu or Fri if it shoots up a lot to reduce amount of money I have on the line (it's a small amount now, but if earnings are good it will be bigger), but might also hold on to some a bit longer if I think it could rise more in the next few weeks. All depends on how good/bad earnings are.

Looks like short sellers are buying:

$TSLA short int is $10.17 bn; 39.10 mm shs shorted; 29.69% of float; 0.90% borrow fee. Shs shorted are down -1.7 mm, -4.10%, over the past week as stock price rose +3.09%. We saw 2.4 mm shs of short covering yesterday. Shorts are down -$1.50 bn in mark-to-market losses in July

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter
FTFY

I found the linked video article mildly interesting and curiously at odds with its title.

According to it, a basic model 3 only costs Tesla $28,000 to manufacture which gives a 25% gross profit margin at $35k sale price. Further, the battery supposedly costs $6k which with a 55 kWh battery (what I remember seeing cited, I'd be happy to be corrected) amounts to a pack cost of $110/kWh. Not too shabby, and certainly much better than competitors are able to achieve.

Naturally, they point out that the battery is a single component with high cost compared to the normal automative battery while failing to mention the relative cost of the motors. You'd think that a Tesla would necessarily cost $6k more than an equivalent gasoline car and maybe that was the point. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't compare the battery to the gas tank -- a serious comparison would do power train vs power train instead of cherry picking components.

They then claim without source that Tesla has $97/kWh cell cost with rest of industry $127/kWh, so a 30% advantage to Tesla.

Finally, they conclude with EV prices will keep dropping and specifically show their "lowest price" $40k dropping to ~$36k. Which doesn't gel with the title of "cost you at least $40,000".

Some sort of sourcing for Tesla's costs would be nice. If Tesla is really clearing 25% margin on a $35k M3SR that is huge. If their margin on the least profitable vehicle is that high maybe they really could pull out a profit this quarter, but I remain skeptical.

Here's why the cheapest Tesla will probably cost you at least $40,000

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
You and me. I bought the Aug16 300 calls in the week before delivery results came out @ 1.89. Currently @ 2.42.

Might sell a few Thu or Fri if it shoots up a lot to reduce amount of money I have on the line (it's a small amount now, but if earnings are good it will be bigger), but might also hold on to some a bit longer if I think it could rise more in the next few weeks. All depends on how good/bad earnings are.
+1 to another Aug 16 300 Call

• Informative
Reactions: M3Rider