Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Timeline? Sure. Features? No. As someone who just got his car back from service with fixed autopilot cameras, current Navigate on Autopilot is flat-out amazing. My car quite literally drives itself on the freeway. Add in sentry mode, dog mode, various games, etc, and I’m about as far from “disappointed” as you can be.

Besides, he addressed late timelines *in the tweet you got September from*.
What year is your car. Do you have MCU2

78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, most having a car loan. The average salary of Americans make 54k/year. The number two thing Americans spend too money on is a car payment. So most Americans are in some kind of hardship already. So combining this plus trading up just makes even less of a financial sense. I mean what is more important? Food on the table or driving dynamic of a car?

So the assumption based on the above data is that the Honda Civic owner bought it because it's the best that owner can afford..not a secret millionaire waiting for Tesla all their lives.
This logic is faulty because it translates "most" into an unwarranted inference about probable product demand. "Averages" don't buy products. New car buyers at any price are above average income, on average, even entry level cars. Of course even my statement is true but irrelevant, For example take Honda Civic. Buyers are multi-modal for that vehicle. Very roughly ~25% are classic entry-level people stretching, another ~25% are financially secure but choose a modest car and another ~25% have that car for an additional car fro dependents to use and the remaining people fit another profile.

Frankly all vehicles are bought by people who fit some segment. In any evaluation of sales or increase/decrease of penetration it is inadvisable to describe anything in terms of averages because that will invariably produce bad pricing and positioning decisions. Q1 for Tesla was such a situation.

I don't want to be rude. I do think as Tesla investors we should be acutely aware of the factors that will most affect profitable demand. Reducing pricing will NOT be perforce a wise idea.

78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, most having a car loan. The average salary of Americans make 54k/year. The number two thing Americans spend too money on is a car payment. So most Americans are in some kind of hardship already. So combining this plus trading up just makes even less of a financial sense. I mean what is more important? Food on the table or driving dynamic of a car?

So the assumption based on the above data is that the Honda Civic owner bought it because it's the best that owner can afford..not a secret millionaire waiting for Tesla all their lives.

Just so you don’t bang your head too much, an investor’s forum is really not the place to find anecdotes representing most the population, nor any forum with predominantly Tesla owners.

Tesla dropping prices to fully absorb a production rate of 350k M3s a year basically says it all. At Tesla’s current production volumes, the market on the lower end of their demographics can barely afford the m3. EM says just that, and he has all the data.

Personally, I feel my purchase of the mx was a stretch, but I’m under no delusion that I represent the average American. Someone able to buy a Tesla means there’s nothing average about them.

However, climate change is hardly mitigated if only the top 10% swap out ICEs. It needs to be 50% or more. This requires Tesla to drive prices down so the average person can afford EVs. The mission is why EM will expand production to the limit every year instead of maximizing profits.

FSD is the wildcard that could mitigate climate change without selling as many EVs. Tesla is pushing hard for FSD because if autonomous FSD takes 7 years instead of 3, that’s 4 more years of CC that could have been reduced.

The point is that even the many people that are stretching are not anywhere near average Americans. Whether they do it for the mission, for love of cars, or rationalize one for the other is beyond me, but they are certainly on the higher end of the demographics.

For Tesla’s mission to succeed, it needs to be mainstream by continually increasing volume and decreasing prices.

Just so you don’t bang your head too much, an investor’s forum is really not the place to find anecdotes representing most the population, nor any forum with predominantly Tesla owners.

Tesla dropping prices to fully absorb a production rate of 350k M3s a year basically says it all. At Tesla’s current production volumes, the market on the lower end of their demographics can barely afford the m3. EM says just that, and he has all the data.

Personally, I feel my purchase of the mx was a stretch, but I’m under no delusion that I represent the average American. Someone able to buy a Tesla means there’s nothing average about them.

However, climate change is hardly mitigated if only the top 10% swap out ICEs. It needs to be 50% or more. This requires Tesla to drive prices down so the average person can afford EVs. The mission is why EM will expand production to the limit every year instead of maximizing profits.

FSD is the wildcard that could mitigate climate change without selling as many EVs. Tesla is pushing hard for FSD because if autonomous FSD takes 7 years instead of 3, that’s 4 more years of CC that could have been reduced.

The point is that even the many people that are stretching are not anywhere near average Americans. Whether they do it for the mission, for love of cars, or rationalize one for the other is beyond me, but they are certainly on the higher end of the demographics.

For Tesla’s mission to succeed, it needs to be mainstream by continually increasing volume and decreasing prices.

In fairness, the $35,400 Model 3 is just a hair above the average new car price in the US. After federal tax credit, it’s below it.

To reach the average person, you just need a used car market for them. That’ll happen in a few years, but there’s not much Tesla can do to accelerate it. Few people that bought a car last month are looking to sell it now.

78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, most having a car loan. The average salary of Americans make 54k/year. The number two thing Americans spend too money on is a car payment.

You are making our case for us! People love to overspend on cars, particularly when they have the performance, driving dynamics and economy of a Model 3. Some people want the extra status of a Model S or even a Model X (not my cup of tea but, hey) so they will stretch their budget even farther. The good thing is Tesla buyers can get more than half the difference in price between a new gasoline powered car and a new Tesla back in the form of higher resale value when they sell it. And this effect will become more pronounced as the world moves to EV's because used gasoline cars will be even less desirable when they are viewed as being on their way out. Classic cars like older Mustangs and Corvettes will probably maintain their value somewhat but nobody who isn't "down on their luck" is going to want a used Honda Accord.

The one thing your comment makes clear is that people will often spend whatever takes for the car they really pine after, even if it stretches their finances. The good thing is the gas savings will help out there which is one more thing Tesla has going for them. People can justify this kind of "extravagance" with any number of reasonable excuses.

Last edited:
OT Tl;dr; don't go to FL to see hopper

** Cocoa, not Cocoa Beach

(Everyone makes this mistake. I used to, too :) ) Cocoa is also building Starships, although it's not sure yet what will be the future balance - either Boca Chica, Cocoa, or both.

Either works for viewing, although I think Cocoa Beach is better. The causeway was packed when wife and I watched the Roadster FH launch. Tokyo King is super yummy.

The Florida Starship build is in Cocoa.
SmartSelect_20190728-131545_Maps.jpg

Okay you guys really need to stop using your own anecdote to explain the generalize the average American.

I don't think there's such a thing as the "average" American. And Tesla's market is not limited to America. Or to "average" Americans. The world is a big place and the unaddressed addressable market is HUGE.

I think you need to stop explaining to us how Tesla is going to have trouble selling more cars, more profitably.

This reasoning explains most of the broader market increase in Model 3 demand but only part of Model S weakness. From several years of observation and periodic analysis when data has been accessible I think there is another factor which may be more significant in GM terms but less so in absolute volume.

A substantial percentage of "P" version sales during 2013-2018 were to people who had substantial financial resources and chose Tesla for the stellar performance more than for environmental or other motivations. Obviously to those who know me, my past exotic car penchants put me in this category, so I risk 'mother-in-law research' but still believe my observations are valid. Once there was a P3D+ all the excitement was available at much smaller footprint; all else equal most high performance drivers prefer the smallest packaging that can deliver the desired results. Initially the P3D+ was priced to more or less match comparably equipped BMW M, Mercedes AMG and Porsche 918, among others. People who accepted the larger car to get the performance now neally can get it for much less than those vehicles.

In essence Tesla knowingly, intentionally reduced P3D prices to expand the market and attract 'pocket rocket' buyers.
In my opinion quite a substantial part of S GM deterioration has been cased by that phenomenon. FWIW I paid $79,000 for mine and thought it was a bargain. I still do.

When/if Model S and X have been updated to deliver substantially greater satisfaction, by much greater battery capacity and high speed continuous operation the EU sales and NA also will be reinvigorated. Until that happens they'll still be challenged. German sales have very high potential but will not happen until high speed long distance travel is delivered.All the analysis so far seems to think in terms of price comparisons. This performance categories do not work that way in any reliable way. Price matters but the best performance delivered reliably produces highly elastic pricing.

Lastly selling luxury products on price assures diminished positioning. Brand management 301, people.
This is spot on. People are willing to pay for performance and exclusivity. I bet they could sell thousands per quarter for 150k per copy with those features. A model 3 style interior would be a negative as lesser differentiation from the lower priced segment.

{weekend OT reply}

78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, most having a car loan. The average salary of Americans make 54k/year. The number two thing Americans spend too money on is a car payment.
And none of that has anything to do with Tesla and the price of the cars. THOSE Americans will always find something to throw their money away on. I have had friends borrowing money for rent then go out the next day and getting a $300 tattoo. I would argue it is a much better situation to spend that money on an EV payment than to spend it on other purchases of attempted happiness. You want to throw out numbers?

15% of Americans smoke. Talk about burning your money when you are poor. That habit is equal to a yearly grocery bill for some.
36% of Americans can't stop eating their fast food yet many live check to check.
86.4% of Americans (this one includes me) purchase alcohol. I guess we understand the instructions for getting piss out of the boot..... a complete waste of my money right?
15% of Americans are gamblers and that's not the upper 1%. They are usually the unhappy poor.
96%!!! of Americans own a cell phone. That includes the ones that don't get a paycheck at all. I cell phone is not a required life item. 82% of teenagers own an IPHONE! I guess mommy and daddy are all rich.

I am not condemning any of those people for making the choices they do to attain some sort of happiness out of life. I do think stretching the budget and cutting back on those things to purchase an EV is a far better things than blowing another $5K at the slot machine. Particularly since some of those people are spending at least $200 to $300 on gas a month which could be going towards that EV car payment. I believe this because most Tesla owners are still happy with their purchase unlike most smokers. drinkers. gamblers or cell phone owners.

Tesla has quite a few important milestones and announcements coming up in the next 6-8 months.

Milestones:
Traffic lights, stop signs and city driving autopilot rolled out to the fleet - 4Q19?
Model 3 GF3 first production - 4Q19?
Model 3 GF3 hits 3k per week - 2Q20?
Model Y pilot line - 2Q20?
Model Y hits 7k per week - 4Q20?

Timeline announcements:
Pickup pilot line - 1Q21?
2TWh battery cell production target date - 2026-28?

I haven't seen much discussion on when people are expecting Pickup to hit production, and exactly what year Elon's 2TWh battery manufacturing target will correspond to. Any thoughts?

You mean someone who love driving to the point of spending 100k on them but refuse to spend this money if Tesla never existed? Yeah I would say you are very rare and doesn't apply to most people. So you are not in it to help Tesla's mission..you are in it because you love driving...but felt indifferent to driving all your life except after a Tesla? I mean it's possible but definitely not the type of people Elon is trying to lower the price of Teslas for.
Sorry, thought I was clear. Never loved driving. Never expected to. Got a Tesla and was hooked. Spent the money because I'm a gadget guy and found the concept of driving the future to be compelling. The idea that driving would become a pleasure was not even a possibility I considered.

Okay you guys really need to stop using your own anecdote to explain the generalize the average American. ...
But we are definitely NOT the typical American. Like I said, we are very rare. I teach a financial class and know exactly how rare we are.
Based on observed posts in this thread i have a suggestion for those of us who still believe in averages as useful tools.
Just review your own personal and household financial condition. Then review the national averages and see how you fit. Then think about how useful avrages might be as tools for analysis of marketing decisions.

Many moons ago I taught several marketing courses. In Marketing 101 I had my students do this exercise. In Market research (M101 was a required precedent as was Statistics 101) I had students design projects to evaluate what potential market segments might be. I was always surprised by how difficult that process was. People, regardless of background, invariably see the world in their own terms. That said, really understanding one's own behavior within a segment of like behaviors is enlightening and useful. To wit: In my own household we are seriously abnormal in most respects. Some years ago I was teaching a seminar devoted to "marketing to multi-cultural households". The thirty-odd participants were all. repeat ALL citizens of more than one country, including mine. These people all understood just how common the really rare people are, so the seminar became highly educational to all of us, who all came to understand that rare birds can be very numerous without even entering as factors in averages.

I keep harping on these issues because by definition Tesla owners are outliers in several respects. The very idea of buying an electric vehicle demonstrates that. There are major exceptions: residents of Norway, people who live in Atherton, California, people who have advanced degrees in electrical engineering and so on. Of course none of the people in those categories or others are reflective of any broader averages.

The mission of Tesla demands that eventually BEV and solar power will become mainstream and mass market. Until "eventually" happens Tesla owners and shareholders will continue to be abnormal. Abnormal people will do very well as TSLA shareholders precisely because they see the future more clearly than do average people.

82% of teenagers own an IPHONE! I guess mommy and daddy are all rich.

I'm not going to argue against your overall argument which I think is true and accurate but the statistic above is neither!

That is FAR from true worldwide and it's not even close to being true even if you only consider dumb American teenagers. A lot of kids choose Android phones over iPhones.

Timeline announcements:
Pickup pilot line - 1Q21?
2TWh battery cell production target date - 2026-28?

I haven't seen much discussion on when people are expecting Pickup to hit production, and exactly what year Elon's 2TWh battery manufacturing target will correspond to. Any thoughts?

I expect the Pickup to start production about 18 months after the unveil. As for the 2TWh in battery capacity, nobody can tell when that's going to happen. I think this is just Elon 101: What sort of battery capacity would we need to make an impact? I expect him to lay out his strategy on how to get to this sort of capacity (including buying lithium mines if necessary) and talk about Maxwell technology, powertrains and a few other things.

AFAIK the Porsche 911 is still a popular car even if it's basic design hasn't changed much since 1963. There has been minor faceifts along the way, new engines, lights and whatnot. But it still looks basically the same.

I think these are not bad footsteps to follow for Tesla. Improve where it matters. Not making the car look totally different every 7th year just to camouflage that it hasn't improved much.

2 Seat Sports are fundamentally different from 4 door sedans.

Unique designs are fundamentally different from derivative designs.

911 and Bug are unique. Model S is derivative of Jaguar,Aston Martin, and Maserati. That is why it looked so good to us right away. It was comfortably familiar.

This forum is self selected for financially successful environmentalist or techi that did not and does not give a crap about luxury/sports ICEv. This forum is not very representative of the wider market for $40k plus vehicles or $80k plus vehicles.

Before the results of this quarter I could fathom the rational investment case as to why Tesla, a serial disruptor of the largest revenue generating consumer category, would only be worth $40 billion: because Tesla’s large potential value needs to be substantially discounted by the possibility of failure.

But now it should become apparent to the rational investor that Tesla is self funding, without evident restraints on substantial growth.

Even most rational investors don’t come to their senses overnight. It may take time for the SP to correct. But you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.

Tesla is only self funding at the current pace of growth. If they really have a plan to get to terawatt hour cell production quickly they'll have to go back to market to fund it. Just buying the raw materials to produce at that scale would be multiple billions in working capital, the CapEx would also be enormous. That doesn't mean it's not worth doing, just that a cap raise should be expected. ARK expects Tesla to raise substantially more on their way to scale to accelerate growth.

If I'm allowed a flight of fancy, I think a great option would be to allow Tesla car owners to note their share ownership with the company, then if future capital raises are required they could push a purchase option through the cars and give the existing car owners an option to buy new shares at a discount.

That would circumvent wall street costs and send an incredibly powerful message to short sellers if they knew Tesla could raise capital directly from their customers.

Now that there are hundreds of thousands and soon to be millions of cars out there, the potential investment pool would be growing quickly.

Last edited:
2 Seat Sports are fundamentally different from 4 door sedans.

Unique designs are fundamentally different from derivative designs.

911 and Bug are unique. Model S is derivative of Jaguar,Aston Martin, and Maserati. That is why it looked so good to us right away. It was comfortably familiar.

This forum is self selected for financially successful environmentalist or techi that did not and does not give a crap about luxury/sports ICEv. This forum is not very representative of the wider market for $40k plus vehicles or $80k plus vehicles.

I don't agree. A quick search find many cars similar to the bug in the 40s
cars 1940s at DuckDuckGo

And a similar search from the 50s find many sharing similarites with the 911:
sports cars 1950s at DuckDuckGo

...perhaps especially the 1952 Allied Swallow? More that 10 years ahead of the 911:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/c0/b0/d2c0b0cc2f8eea8fa4fdd1083c61c6b2.jpg

I belive they got their icon status from sticking to their design since it worked so well. And did not get worse when the rest of the pack moved on.

The mission of Tesla demands that eventually BEV and solar power will become mainstream and mass market. Until "eventually" happens Tesla owners and shareholders will continue to be abnormal. Abnormal people will do very well as TSLA shareholders precisely because they see the future more clearly than do average people.

I was about to ad my anecdote about cars until I saw ggr's admonition to stop it.

As usual the preternaturally wise jbcarioca captures above a useful summary of what is the essence of our individual fascinations. Let me discuss my evolution on the issue of energy.

As someone teaching about public policy, especially with international implications, my focus on energy started with the energy "crises" of the seventies. (I had previously worked for one year in Washington with the old US Atomic Energy Commission courtesy of a public administration fellowship which was more useful as a tutorial in bureaucracy than energy policy.) The next kick-up in interest about energy came later in the seventies when Ilya Prigogine was awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry for inventing the mathematics to explain life. (Not explained in detail, but generally. If you want detailed knowledge it is 42.) My immediate reaction was horror! Here was proof Lenin's (and others') theory of imperialism is inevitable. Not only do we have to extract oil from others, but we dump waste products on weaker countries as demanded by the second law of thermodynamics. Deeper knowledge of Prigogine revealed his more subtle notion that evolutionary change in the ways we use energy can spring the entropy trap. Now it is abundantly clear we have a problem not on the supply of fossil fuels but their use.

I began investing in Tesla in 2010 based on the reported range of the Roadster's battery. A clear game changer.