Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can,, but why on earth would you? Range is king and will be for a very long time to come because that's the number one question people ask. If it doesn't match their current car--and some have up to 700 miles--their interest wanes.

I think your addressable market increases more with more design options than it does with 700 mile range

Does anyone have any idea about what's going on about shipping out of pier 80? The next scheduled ship was the SFL Conductor which was scheduled to arrive about a week ago. The ship has been sailing slow reciprocal courses off southern Cali/Mex for most of that time. They've updated the arrival time to 8/1/19 but currently the ship is headed south at less than 1kn. It's still early in the quarter and shipping out of SF should be at a max. ???

Does anyone have any idea about what's going on about shipping out of pier 80? The next scheduled ship was the SFL Conductor which was scheduled to arrive about a week ago. The ship has been sailing slow reciprocal courses off southern Cali/Mex for most of that time. They've updated the arrival time to 8/1/19 but currently the ship is headed south at less than 1kn. It's still early in the quarter and shipping out of SF should be at a max. ???

Walter isn't consistently tracking shipping anymore, so I can't check. Building Tesla satellite images show a ship at the port on the 25th, and the lot a quarter full (probably in the process of loading or done loading)

I think your addressable market increases more with more design options than it does with 700 mile range
I doubt this because I get all kind of complements on how my early 2013 car looks when I show it at events. Most find it hard to believe it's over six years old.

And that’s the thought that is raised whenever Musk describes the pickup as different, cyberpunk. It’s bound to be different in a way that reduces drag. He’s mentally preparing us to expect a shape we don’t normally associate with pickups.

And as long as it outperforms on the metrics we know EVs and specifically Teslas do, many will get over that it doesn’t look ‘traditional’.

People buy vehicles all the time that don’t aesthetically appeal to them. Those people buy for practicality, utility, usefulness.

Some here are worrying too much and needlessly. If this pickup goes over like a rock, Elon already said they’d make a more traditional one. So all, just relax.

Walter isn't consistently tracking shipping anymore, so I can't check. Building Tesla satellite images show a ship at the port on the 25th, and the lot a quarter full (probably in the process of loading or done loading)

Thanks Karen. That was the Glovis Prime which left on the 26th for CN. The SFL Conductor was due in the next day, but stopped heading that way. I hope they're just killing time until the cars are ready for loading, but sailing reciprocals instead of anchoring closer to SF just seems like a unnecessary waste of fuel.

Tesla will not do anything that will destroy their excellent drag coefficients, because they've very rightly decided that they're critical to making a good EV.

Bad efficiency just ruins EVs.

Many or all of your points are likely valid in this M3 Wagon scenario, IF Tesla could not design a wagon version with only very good drag coefficients . Tesla's designers could have come up with designs with even better drag coefficients but worse practicality and aesthetics.
They went with what they felt was the best possible compromise at the time. As batteries improve year by year, DC gradually becomes a little less important factor in the set they want to optimize. We don't know, at the moment, what creative ideas Tesla might apply to minimizing the CD reduction associated with a wagon variant and the reduction in range. Tesla already decided customers would gladly sacrifice a small bit of range in MY to gain the benefits of the CUV form factor. I think they could find the same balance with an M3 wagon if that opened up another slice of the EV market.

Once investors realize that this part of Tesla will likely generate far more revenue than it's auto manufacturing business, share price will.....well, take a guess.

I feel this is a trick question. ‘Investors’ I thought already know what’s happening and going to happen with regards to Tesla, but they don’t control the SP.

I feel like ‘investors’ is synonymous with ‘the people’, the latter also is not in control of what they think or have been told.

Some here are worrying too much and needlessly. If this pickup goes over like a rock, Elon already said they’d make a more traditional one. So all, just relax.
Chevrolet seemed to do okay with trucks that were like a rock, had a whole ad campaign built around it.

And don't forget the Camaro IROCK-Z. :D

This article talks about Panasonic's profit being down, and mentions "exclusive battery cell supplier for Tesla", but doesn't connect the dots. I will try to research whether some, or any, of this shortfall is Tesla related. The rest of the article implies that it's mostly related to Chinese market trade tension.
Panasonic's Q1 profit down 44%, misses estimates

Later edit: Yes, the reference to Tesla is FUD. The report (Q1 of FY2020) is available here: IR Information - About Us - Panasonic
Overseas sales decreased due mainly to sales declines of electronic-component-mounting-equipment and motors, which were impacted
by deteriorating market conditions in China, and the effect of exchange rates despite sales growth in Automotive Batteries.
The automotive segment actually grew 6% YoY.

Last edited:
Many or all of your points are likely valid in this M3 Wagon scenario, IF Tesla could not design a wagon version with only very good drag coefficients . Tesla's designers could have come up with designs with even better drag coefficients but worse practicality and aesthetics.

To do better than they already have would require making the car more like an Aptera. Do you think the market for fully-fendered three wheelers with little to no back seat is big enough for Tesla?

There's this myth that a "good designer" can make a car with any basic shape have a great drag coefficient. It doesn't work that way. The rear taper is one of the most critical aspects toward having a low drag coefficient. Aero drag consists of two components - skin friction drag and pressure drag. The latter is the area-weighted difference between the pressure at the front and the pressure at the rear (force = pressure times area). The larger the area of the low-pressure wake, and the deeper the low, the greater the pressure drag. It's unavoidable. You have to have a small rear cross section to have low drag because the force is proportional to cross-sectional area. You can increase the wake pressure with vortex generation, but everyone does this already. The only additional thing you have control over is the area, and that comes down to your taper. And you can't taper too fast or you get flow detachment.

The notion that a "good designer" can make a car with any basic shape be super-streamlined if they're clever enough is equivalent to the notion that a "good designer" can make airplane wings have any basic shape so long as they're clever enough. Brick-shaped wings, scoop-shaped wings, you name it - just need a clever designer to tweak some minor details and then they'll work as good as airfoil-shaped wings, right?

That's just not reality.

Last edited:
I do expect the FUD to hit hardest on the pickup truck market, given their typical market positioning.

They’ll try, but an EV pickup that out performs its ICE counterpart for the same money or less, will change minds fast. A few stunt videos of a Tesla Performance plus Ludicrous pickup pulling a trailer of bricks with a bed full of kegs of beer and out dragging some souped up whatever. Win.

Coordinated MMD. Wonder when the short's antics will end? It's so predictable...
As is the CNBC bashing as the stock price rises - they, predictably, mentioned Elon's tweet on the solar panels, and how it COULD be a violation of the SEC agreement, as the stock was climbing. Interestingly, the stock started its precipitous decline around the time of the story.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
To do better than they already have would require making the car more like an Aptera. Do you think the market for fully-fendered three wheelers with little to no back seat is big enough for Tesla?

There's this myth that a "good designer" can make a car with any basic shape have a great drag coefficient. It doesn't work that way. The rear taper is one of the most critical aspects toward having a low drag coefficient. Aero drag consists of two components - skin friction drag and pressure drag. The latter is the area-weighted difference between the pressure at the front and the pressure at the rear (force = pressure times area). The larger the area of the low-pressure wake, and the deeper the low, the greater the pressure drag. It's unavoidable. You have to have a small rear cross section to have low drag because the force is proportional to cross-sectional area. You can increase the wake pressure with vortex generation, but everyone does this already. The only additional thing you have control over is the area, and that comes down to your taper. And you can't taper too fast or you get flow detachment.

The notion that a "good designer" can make a car with any basic shape be super-streamlined if they're clever enough is equivalent to the notion that a "good designer" can make airplane wings have any basic shape so long as they're clever enough. Brick-shaped wings, scoop-shaped wings, you name it - just need a clever designer to tweak some minor details and then they'll work as good as airfoil-shaped wings, right?

That's just not reality.
Just look at the Space Shuttle :)