Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how car-specific that is, but HDR CCDs would be a pretty neat tech. Polarization seems to be a totally different issue, but hey, the more data the better. :) My dream for cameras and data formats would be that intensity and polarization are recorded in multispectral images (arbitrary of bands, no limits to wavelength), along with Z-buffer data if the hardware allows, and videos ditch the concept of frames for time-tagged updates for specific pixels, whose data is stored as splines rather than specific values - with the pixels indexed in absolute polar coordinates rather than relative rectilinear coordinates, with the camera's angle and position stored in the video file.

Elon could create a multispectral tech package and call it the Predator package. Nice to cover another sci-fi genre.

• Funny
Reactions: KarenRei
Not really. You could go from such a format to frames at any point - but not the reverse. And you could pick any arbitrary framerate that you want. Your camera no longer has to store whole framebuffers - you just need your polar-mapped pixels to push new splines out on the bus whenever the last spline no longer accurately describes the data it's currently receiving. So the max potential framerate that could be reconstructed would be exceedingly fast - nothing more than your bus latency.

What it opens up is infinite analytic possibilities - for scene reconstruction, for revealing hidden information, for persistence of data that's moved outside the screen, etc etc. And absolute polar coordinates rather than rectilinear helps minimize pixel change changes upon camera movements - e.g. a simple pan from a static camera would cause no pixel changes at all.

I think the question would be: what techniques could you use to actually do any of that? The absolute best vision algorithms we have are conv nets, which need to operate on distinct frames. And people aren’t very good at dealing with that kind of unrestricted massive data.

Fred must be after some cheap shares before the ER...

upload_2019-1-29_18-10-56.png

Last edited:
The put/call ratio on TSLA is quite skewed today: 1.92:1, with 65.8% of options activity in puts, and just 34.2% in calls as of 8:51 AM PST. Interestingly, there is hardly any activity that's flagged as "unusual", with significant new volume exceeding open interest. So the plays are spread out.

Fred must be after some cheap shares before the ER...

If you're referring to his "Where is the $35,000 Model 3?" article, the content is mildly positive. Just a click-driven headline.

If you're referring to his "Where is the $35,000 Model 3?" article, the content is mildly positive. Just a click-driven headline.
Aside from actual fake news, that is the biggest problem with our media. Most people get their news from social media or best case a soft news show. I doubt more than 10% of people actually read the articles, they just like the headline or dislike it and share based on that.

Regarding the 35k model 3, I have to assume they don't want to hit 35k with a stripped down version. I kind of understand that but if you are desperately waiting for a 35k EV, are things like premium interior and glass roof really that important? I'm sure there are high margins on those items but still, a bare bones model 3 (but still including the safety stuff) has to be fairly close to where they need to be. Hell, just offer it in Black, Model T style to make it even cheaper.

I added a 538 link, that's quite illuminating. Incidentally, the most progressive candidate is probably the oldest in '20 primary.
So, a day before the ER - there is hardly any interest in the stock ? The stock is following Nasdaq, almost tick by tick, showing the bots have taken over.

BTW, apparently its not just the big boys who have bots. Even your low 100 stocks trader/programmer.

Algorithmic Trading

May be I'll start looking into this some day.

cynic in me suggests that the "smart money" always have insight into numbers in advance of public (Wall Street is made up of a bunch of Bobby Axelrods).

2137F675-67B3-4718-B7E7-D127F68DDF36.jpeg
387A083E-BE20-4839-948F-06398BC9C6E9.jpeg
2BBDB316-D9FA-4001-954A-7E8A646AF4E7.jpeg
Full agree! 2 kids, no dogs, but many activities requiring space....

I for one have to say that the removal of the 75D has seriously kabboshed my plans for next company car. It fit perfectly in the sweet spot for lease provided by company and 50% reduced tax in Germany for me (which would put it lower than my current car)..... if there is no price reduction in future 100D / Standard Range, then im outta the Tesla market until another model comes along that fits my purpose / financials as the 75D.

Don't tell us that. For our family of four outdoor recreation lovers, the Model 3 is fantastic. The cabin is very spacious for four people, it only gets a little tight when trying to fit three adults across the back seat. The trunk, sub-trunk space and frunk can haul a lot of gear.

I took my father and two sons fishing on Vancouver Island. We flew there and rented an SUV to get to the fishing lodge. The three coolers of fish we caught (150 lbs of cleaned and frozen salmon and halibut) and all our personal gear completely filled the back of the Jeep Grand Cherokee we rented as we drove back from the fishing lodge to the airport. I was concerned about fitting all the fish, gear and people into my Model 3 so we could drive home from the airport, but I needn't have worried, we managed to fit it all in.

Then of course there's the roof box option. We've done two week long ski trips, fitting our family of four, gear, food and entertainment for a week into our Model 3 with the help of a roof box. 2,500 km accumulated with the roof box on those two trips. Have another planned next month at our favourite ski resort 900 km away.

The Model 3 has proven to be an excellent vehicle for hauling our family and gear to our adventures. The storage capacity of the trunk, under trunk space and frunk has proven to be similar to what we could store in a mid-sized SUV (Highlander, Touareg, Grand Cherokee) behind the second row seat, although the car can't swallow large, bulky items like an SUV can.

Market relavence(?): I think we North Americans with our "bigger is better" mindset when it comes to vehicles are seriously underestimating how popular the Model 3 will be in places like Europe where smaller cars are valued once they have the opportunity to experience the storage capacity and utility of the car. Don't underestimate it.

Toyota uses pouch cells like all legacy OEMs.

Why would they buy this old equipment to make 18650 cells?

Several startups are using 18650 or 2170/20700.

It seems legacy OEMs are against using cylindrical cells because it is a tacit admission Tesla is the leader.

Thats probably part of it, but its also a big difference in balancing, connecting, and controlling temp,safely of some 4k-7k individual cells vs a few hundred pouches. Tesla leverages this to make safer and more reliable batteries but its definitely harder to master.

The put/call ratio on TSLA is quite skewed today: 1.92:1, with 65.8% of options activity in puts, and just 34.2% in calls as of 8:51 AM PST. Interestingly, there is hardly any activity that's flagged as "unusual", with significant new volume exceeding open interest. So the plays are spread out.

He's probably just looking for a free $35K M3, too...

Crappy graphics upload on this site for a while now... Fixed!