Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk broke US labor laws on Twitter: An administrative judge says Tesla tried to sabotage efforts to unionize factory workers in California. : politics

I found this thread both fascinating and disturbing. /r/politics is a very left-leaning subreddit, yet this post from today is filled with a ton of misinformed anti-Musk vitriol.
I have many liberal friends in San Fran and Berkeley, and I have come to understand (but not agree) with this mindset. I myself am liberal, progressive, and generally pro union. And if I was not familiar with Tesla, and only read about them in the biased media, it is very likely that I would share their anti-Tesla/Musk beliefs. They generally have the view that Tesla is an anti-union, non-labor friendly corp that makes products for rich people.

But there is a fundamental disconnect, as many liberals praise Apple's values and have no qualms about using Apple products. Yet Apple's phones are among the most expensive and (today) is viewed as a fashion and status symbol. Moreover, Apple products are manufactured in foreign countries where employees don't have anywhere near the rights of even non-union American employees, and where working conditions and expectations are harsh, leading to suicide (see, for example, Apple contractor Foxconn). While Apple conveniently skirts the union issue by moving all manufacturing and production overseas, at least Teslas are made in America and by Americans.

But the reality is that Apple and Tesla, while different in many ways, also share many similarities (some of which appeal to many liberals). Besides the pro-environment story, you have the cutting edge innovation, sleek design, integration of form and function, great user experience. And perhaps most importantly, the David and Goliath story of Tesla vs Big Auto and Big Oil is very reminiscent of (early) Apple vs Big Blue (IBM) and Microsoft.

So yeah, I think there is a disconnect (and perhaps some hypocrisy). If these points and the comparisons and contrasts were more clearly elucidated, I think progressives and liberals would have a more sympathetic view of Tesla.

Last edited:
And the DOW and NASDAQ are down about 1%. So why is TSLA up? These European sales numbers? The GF3 about to go balls to the wall? Or is it the Model 3 Arnold rented for Greta? Did Wall Street grow some non-corrupt brain cells?
The roulette wheel that is TSLA and Wall Street came up black today. Kind of financial "pin the tail on the donkey". (no political reference intended. LOL!)

Dan

Reactions: madodel
Puzzled why InsideEVs would release estimates for Tesla deliveries on October 1st... without knowing the Tesla figures. (or were they leaked to InsideEVs?)

I guess they want the double-whammy of webclicks? Because they will surely update their spreadsheet once Tesla makes the announcement.

Technically if they are not going to wait for Tesla's official numbers, they could release their estimate on September 30th!

They can't stand her because they disagree with her beliefs on climate change. Tesla has the same beliefs/mission. That said, I'd avoid any flash point personalities as a company. So yeah, I agree there. Little to gain, more to lose.

There's no "beliefs" in climate change. That it is happening is a fact and the overwhelming scientific evidence is that it's because of anthropological activity.

I'm happy to see the positive action and hope it continues, especially on a day where macros aren't so hot. I can never understand why so many buyers appear a day or two before the numbers though. The same information was available yesterday and the day before. Why pay more by waiting until the last minute, unless someone is buying options?

Reactions: SpaceCash
I hate to tell you this, but if it weren't for the people NOT on the bus (not necessarily against the bus either), there would be no Tesla today. Most people buy Tesla's cars because they are awesome. Period.

If people were truly buying a Tesla to protect the environment, Chevy Volts, Toyota Priuses (is that correct???), and Nissan Leafs would have FAR outsold vehicles like the F150, Explorer, Suburban, Camry, Accord, etc. But, by a LONG SHOT, they did not. Trust me on this - people that have $75k to spend on a car are looking for a great car first - if that happens to be a car that is good for the environment, they will feel better about themselves, but it's not WHY they bought the car. And that's the same of a $35k to $50k car. When you get down into the $15k price level, you'll find some people buying for the environment alone.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it's by far the rule, and not the exception. There's a reason why AT&T said the drudge report was the #1 most visited website in a Tesla car a couple of years ago. A lot of conservatives bought a Tesla - again, because it was AWESOME!!
I consider myself conservative, and I bought a Tesla. Primarily because I am tired of smelling what comes out of the backside of an ICE and because I liked the idea of my own personal "stick it" to the countries that we are forced to buy oil from that obviously hate America and everything it stands for. Just one person's opinion of course. Buying a Tesla wasn't even remotely a political action for me.

Dan

I'm happy to see the positive action and hope it continues, especially on a day where macros aren't so hot. I can never understand why so many buyers appear a day or two before the numbers though. The same information was available yesterday and the day before. Why pay more by waiting until the last minute, unless someone is buying options?
Because my funds wouldn't clear my account any sooner! LOL!

Dan

InsideEVs shows US Model 3 growing ~3% QoQ. That's extremely impressive for a tax credit stepdown quarter. I still don't believe their July number, though, but even if it's a few thousand too high Q3 was still quite strong.

That U.S. growth you speak of is totally meaningless. The Model 3 is constrained by production, not demand and they ship them worldwide. U.S. sales could contract this quarter and it could still be a blowout quarter. There is a certain amount of lumpiness to sales based on region and timing and there is little point in analyzing one market in isolation.

I think there's a repeating pattern on days like this. When the overall market drops perhaps people are moving their money back into Tesla. Not the first time I've seen this pattern, quite common. But I think there needs to be some Tesla excitement for this effect to establish, and here we are waiting for the good news in general. Of course followed by an attack and slide again.

But.... "One of these days, Alice!" Only not the Moon, but Mars!

See, I KNOW everything in this article is a lie. I mean, come on, there is no demand for Tesla, and like people have said, they'll never sell 500 cars. Plus it's all a big sham - they're building cars and dumping them in the ocean just for the subsidies, or hiding them in Norway or something. Ok, maybe they've sold a few to some movie stars and other celebrity types, but not nearly enough to make a mess of parking lots everywhere. Besides, with all the issues Tesla has with servicing their cars, most are inoperable. And if they are still running, they can't make it anywhere without their battery running out and having to steal electricity from someone's home.

Oh wait, I get it. Tesla must have paid to have this piece published. It makes people think Tesla is actually selling cars. I knew there had to be a catch. It's probably the SAME 3 cars going from parking lot to parking lot. LOL. Musk is such a scam artist. That house of cards will crumble soon. These shenanigans won't last forever. Eventually, the govt is going to cut off his billions in subsidies and Tesla will dry up.

Tesla owners are already making a mess of Parking Lots with Software Update

In all seriousness, if there's no demand for Tesla cars, how could this phenomenon possibly be happening? The haters just make NO sense.

I consider myself conservative, and I bought a Tesla. Primarily because I am tired of smelling what comes out of the backside of an ICE and because I liked the idea of my own personal "stick it" to the countries that we are forced to buy oil from that obviously hate America and everything it stands for. Just one person's opinion of course. Buying a Tesla wasn't even remotely a political action for me.

Dan

So, pollution and the geopolitical implications of energy? Heck, I am struggling to think of anything MORE political than the two reasons you cited.