Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone point me to some information concerning the GF3 production capacity. From memory I believe the GF3 target Model 3 production is 3k per week or 150k units per year. From what I have read the line itself will be an improved version of the Fremont Model 3 line (with single casting for rear underbody) so it is not clear to me why it will not ultimately be able to produce at a similar rate to Fremont, around 7k per week or 350k per year.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
OT:

Scored my girlfriend a crazy lease deal on a Hyundai Ioniq EV. $99 a month, nothing down. That’s with fees rolled into payment, no sales tax on EVs in NJ. She really loves Tesla but she is a poor college student haha. Now she doesn’t have to drive a stinky gas car! :)

Simply crazy deal
I think you're trying to keep her close to home.

Last summer in CA you could score a Fiat 500e for $59/month nothing down for 24 months.

I wonder how it feels to drive around in that 500e (or the Ioniq from a few posts back) knowing that the CARB credits earned with that car made it possible to sell some more Chrysler gas guzzlers. Stuff that is too cheap always comes at a price.

A- yes
B- yes, and that is the software revision that includes NN updates, along with new features and bug fixes.

As in the 4 release updates I’ve received since Smart Summon was released to me on Sept 28, 2019.32.11 followed by 2019.32.11.1 on Oct 2, then 2019.32.12.1 on Oct 10, and lastly 2019.32.12.2 on Oct 11.

Reading about “a few issues” without taking into consideration the enormous number of SS is so far in the noise that I’d be embarrassed to put it in writing here.

Well that is pretty damn cool. Thanks.

This video is dated yesterday - I don't see the 220KV substation being operational in two days: it's still being worked on, and no incoming high voltage power lines visible anywhere.

Nice progress on the "Phase II" (or "Phase 1.5") foundations and building - they are already installing the roof structure.

I wish I could get to 31 billion for 2019 and 47B for 2020. I was thinking about unit growth, but typed as revenue growth.

I think 2019 revenue will grow 15.5% compared to 2018:
2018 (3.409, 4.002, 6.824, 7.226, total $21.46B)
2019 (4.541, 6.35, 6.5, 7.4, total $24.79B)

For future years:
2020 27B (80k S/X @$90k; 350k Model 3 @$45k; 30k Model Y @$50k; plus $2.7B energy etc.)
2021 42B (80k S/X @$90k; 300k Model 3 @$45k; 300k Model Y @$50k; $1.4B semi and pickup; $4.8B energy)
2022 59B
2023 86B
2024 137B
2025 153B (100k S/X @80k; 600k 3 @$38k; 1.5m Y @40k; 100k semi; 400k pickup truck; $12B energy, etc.)
Average revenue growth 35% per year. I gave very little weight to Tesla Network revenue, I might be surprised big time in this area.

I don't understand why TSLAQ group can't see what's coming.

I think there is still a healthy chunk of risk ahead for tesla which should be reflected in the stock price. Keep in mind VW had $242 B of revenue last year and is valued at about $85 B. Tesla achieves $153 B, so what? What market cap does that justify? With traditional auto margins and assuming that growth stops there maybe 60-70B market cap, so more than today which is in the 40's but not a ten bagger. For a 10x jump up you need bigger revenue or bigger margins. Certainly possible, but probably not from just becoming a large vanilla automaker. And it's not a given Tesla can get to 153 B that quickly either there is big risk of needing to ramp slower due to constraints in their engineering resources or ability to scale production, especially battery cell production. I'm just pointing out you can have a fundamentals based short thesis (I personally don't) it doesn't have to be a momentum or fud fueled one like tslaq

To make 153 B of vehicles how many new factories will they need? How will they fund these as well as the increased float of materials and inventory? Even if all can be built at Chinese speed when do they need to break ground?

To sell 2.1M 3/Y how do you increase demand to that level, is just the lower asp enough or do you need advertising and other increased costs? What's the uncertainty in it and the cost beyond just lower asp? (Ie new service centers)

To me 140ish B in automotive revenue seems like a hard goal to reach within 5 years.

Last edited:
This is just hilarious ;)

James Stephenson on Twitter

EGriPXMWsAANDH3

I think there is still a healthy chunk of risk ahead for tesla which should be reflected in the stock price. Keep in mind VW had $242 B of revenue last year and is valued at about $85 B. Tesla achieves $153 B, so what? What market cap does that justify? With traditional auto margins and assuming that growth stops there maybe 60-70B market cap, so more than today which is in the 40's but not a ten bagger. For a 10x jump up you need bigger revenue or bigger margins. Certainly possible, but probably not from just becoming a large vanilla automaker. And it's not a given Tesla can get to 153 B that quickly either there is big risk of needing to ramp slower due to constraints in their engineering resources or ability to scale production, especially battery cell production. I'm just pointing out you can have a fundamentals based short thesis (I personally don't) it doesn't have to be a momentum or fud fueled one like tslaq

To make 153 B of vehicles how many new factories will they need? How will they fund these as well as the increased float of materials and inventory? Even if all can be built at Chinese speed when do they need to break ground?

To sell 2.1M 3/Y how do you increase demand to that level, is just the lower asp enough or do you need advertising and other increased costs? What's the uncertainty in it and the cost beyond just lower asp? (Ie new service centers)

To me 140ish B in automotive revenue seems like a hard goal to reach within 5 years.

So no meaningful income or significant growth prospects from software or Tesla energy after 5 years?

For the record: TradingInvest's delivery numbers are way below guidance. And beyond hugely underrating Tesla Energy and Tesla Network, also assume that Tesla will not introduce a lower-cost model, which Musk has already talked about doing.

Tesla is targeting scaling as rapidly a possible to 2TWh/yr. That's the equivalent of 23,5 million cars per year with 85kWh packs.

Last edited:
This video is dated yesterday - I don't see the 220KV substation being operational in two days: it's still being worked on, and no incoming high voltage power lines visible anywhere.

Nice progress on the "Phase II" (or "Phase 1.5") foundations and building - they are already installing the roof structure.

High voltage feed is underground as indicated by the previous references to the multi-km duct/ cable Tesla Gigafactory 3 substation on track for activation by end of September. Connection to GF3 is likely through the trench that runs between the power building and the HVAC building. No above ground wiring.

Twitter
Shanghai govt: The 220 kV electric power supporting strategic project of Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory GF3 was officially started. 16.7 km cable has been completed today. Expected power transmission conditions will be available by the end of Sept.

Twitter
Total length 55km.