Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but what's the limiting factor - FCA's demand or Tesla's supply?

[RobS: Tesla’s supply]

If that's correct then Tesla's huge EU scaleup in Q3 - which looks to continue and maybe even accelerate in Q4, based on how heavily they're focusing on European exports - is extremely positive for credit income growth.

See

I am unsure if this is news to everyone, but Tesla is basically doubling its number of European Service Centers, which will significantly increase Tesla's addressable market in Europe:
Lars Kr. Lundin on Twitter

(from yesterday)

First Mazda BEV/PHEV for 2021.

35.5 kWh pack for 125 miles of range and 50 kW charging.

Optional rotary wankel engine serving as a range extender.

This would have been so cool.

In 2011.

it works but only with the wankel. 125 miles is workable if you have fast charging (they don’t ) and stations as frequent as superchargers.

so if it is your only car, the range extender is required. But it probably jacks up the cost too much.

that is a lifestyle ad 100%. More the couple outside the car then in it.

Correct - the EU ZEV credits only count for EU (plus Norway, Switzerland?) deliveries.

The measurement of CO2 emissions begins in January 2020, the first CO2 penalties are due in 2021 (based on 2020 emissions averages).

But neither FCA nor Tesla operates in a vacuum: their deal might involve U.S. credits as well. Once FCA buys ZEV credits for one market they might as well use the same source for other markets as well? FCA needs the credits, Tesla has plenty of them and has some geographic imbalance between quarterly deliveries, so it would be advantageous to both of them to have a wider deal than just the EU.

But I don't think we know for sure, very little of this has been disclosed AFAIK.
If I'm not mistaken, the FCA agreement was filed under a Confidential Treatment Order (CTO). So, it is possible, there are other facets of the agreement, that do not involve credits, that are yet to be known.

Electrek article on Lexus BEV concept:

Lexus unveils crazy-looking electric concept with giant gull wings, announces first BEV - Electrek

1057A8D0-67E5-48AE-84C7-6A07157F05D8.jpeg

It’s hard to get that gigantic grill monkey off your back.

Nurburgring update: driver is apparently well, but Andreas Simonsen drove the red Plaid prototype into a guardrail on Monday, shortly after this picture was taken:

Tesla-Model-S-bigMobileWide2x-6406b9a4-1639058.jpg

It was raining on Monday all day - not sure why they risked it. The car is probably totaled for the purposes of this week's testing.

The blue prototype is still available, but it's unclear whether it's as fast as the red one.

Reactions: wipster and mongo

First Mazda BEV/PHEV for 2021.

35.5 kWh pack for 125 miles of range and 50 kW charging.

Optional rotary wankel engine serving as a range extender.

This would have been so cool.

In 2011.

I was on the fence about if this car was a true tesla killer, but then they showed someone holding a leaf and planting a tree, then a close up of some leather stitching, and now I'm convinced and am selling TSLA.

Here's a recap of recent Consumer reports incidents that were unfavorable to Tesla:
  • CR's survey among subscribers found the Model 3 the "most satisfying" car in America:
  • View attachment 469060
  • CR's survey also found the Model 3 one of the most reliable cars in America:
  • View attachment 469063
  • But in a poorly specified, ad-hoc decision CR officials overruled all these survey results and called the Model 3 "unreliable" and removed it from the recommended list, based on unscientific anecdotes of sporadic early production flaws that were fixed in all new cars by the time the survey went out, let alone by the time the recommendation was published. (!)
  • A CR official in a Reddit AMA gave unsatisfactory answers to @KarenRei's probing questions. The AMA was quickly brigaded by TSLAQ fraudsters from the RealTesla sub.
  • CR seemingly also went out of their way to create FUD from this event: both their videos and their online articles showed bias against Tesla and made false, misleading statements. This was done during a highly critical U.S. ramp-up effort of Tesla, and the CR un-recommendation had a big negative effect on the Tesla stock price, with an over $10 (-3%) drop. (Tesla U.S. sales in Q1 showed a big drop - and I'm sure CR's report was one of the factors, although it's unclear to what extent.)
  • Recently CR also mislead about Tesla's FSD option, falsely implying that Smart Summon is expensive: "even though they’re paying $6,000 up front for the promised automation". CR's characterization was misleading in two ways:
    • $6,000 is the price of the full FSD option bundle with other desirable driver assistance features like Navigate on AutoPilot, lane change and AutoPark - plus future options like city driving, red light and traffic sign recognition.
    • Early Smart Summon owners had to opt in to an early testing option to get Smart Summon.
  • Also note that in the article above Consumer Reports's Ethan Douglas, "senior policy analyst at Consumer Reports in Washington, D.C." was apparently directly interfering with Tesla's business by pressuring the NHTSA and pushing disinformation: "Asked for comment, NHTSA said it’s aware of the accounts of safety concerns related to Smart Summon."
  • In that article about Smart Summon CR was also concern trolling about Tesla battery packs: "Separately, NHTSA published a petition late last week from a group of Tesla owners about an alleged battery defect in the Model S and Model X."
I think we are well past the point where we can assume good faith and "mistakes" from Consumer Reports: they are still misleading about Model 3 reliability today, based on early 2018 anecdotes which are almost 2 years old now...

The most generous explanation I have is that gearheads who know little about EVs have taken over CR, who are eager to bend the data from their own subscribers to confirm their anti-EV biases.

I'd love to be wrong about all this, but I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for Consumer Reports to fix their mistakes and to put the Model 3 back on the "recommended" list anytime soon. :confused:
This is when I canceled my subscription after being a subscriber for decades. When asked why I was canceling I said "Given your recent ratings having an obvious bias against Tesla I can no longer trust your ratings of any products".

Reuters article today:
China factory production key as Tesla reports third-quarter results

"Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is conducting trial production runs at its new $2 billion China factory for the past several weeks and will sell some of the first cars from the plant to its employees, sources told Reuters."

Yeah every news agency seems to have their own key or main thing thing that matters most.
So far found these:

-China
-Demand
-Production to meet demand
-Revenue
-Profit/Loss
-Cash flow

so in the end every thing matters and we all know that revenue will be main focus to bring stock down, as it will be lower than last year. so big bottom line and cash flow surprise is needed. As EU M3-s were basically sold out, I imagine surprise is possible, but how many US inventory and not delivered(in transit) cars remained in US/Canada is question.

Nurburgring update: driver is apparently well, but Andreas Simonsen drove the red Plaid prototype into a guardrail on Monday, shortly after this picture was taken:

It was raining on Monday all day - not sure why they risked it. The car is probably totaled for the purposes of this week's testing.

The blue prototype is still available, but it's unclear whether it's as fast as the red one.

It appeared to still be somewhat drivable as the pictures show them driving it on to the tow truck. But who knows if they have a spare hood/front bumper cover and ay other parts they would need.

Its called testing, no doubt the car has a sophisticated torque vectoring system, no better condition to test it.

This why one installs a roll cage, for the "oops" or "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot".

Last edited:
This is when I canceled my subscription after being a subscriber for decades. When asked why I was canceling I said "Given your recent ratings having an obvious bias against Tesla I can no longer trust your ratings of any products".
Nice, but you're only one person.

How can this be publicized in a viral manner? Could we get a credible big magazine to do a report on it like Motor Trend or something?

Good thing there's two.
Exactly my point:
Fully agree. I still hope that they also run a Raven S. Otherwise, they're just osbourning themselves. And the "plaid will be more expensive" aspect doesn't cut it; you're casting your existing models in the light of "These are old tech" (when they're not at all, they're freshly upgraded). I don't care if they put track tires on it or other "normal" things that people do for a track day - I just want it to be a car that you can buy today.

They've reportedly got two cars with them. Hopefully they're not both plaid.

At $140k (or whatever plaid marked up price it is) a piece, I'm fine with Tesla Osborning a few* orders P orders. Sure, less sales now, but more margin later.
*those for whom cost is no object.

I'd also hope they have two Plaids, otherwise one bad turn or part failure and their record attempt is done. Besides, once one knows there is a faster version, is the speed of the 2nd best relevant?

Which does allow for two Plaid and a Raven, if they could support 3 cars.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger