Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that the solar + couple of powerwalls solution is still grid-tied and provides solution for normal daily shift of production - usage differences (where you produce more energy during the sunny day-light time than used, but need to use some energy during the dark hours). However, it does not give you the ability to operate off-grid for 2 main reasons:

1. Your system would not be able to power the house in case of a several day generation outage due to bad weather (stormy, cloudy for several days in a row). You would need much bigger battery packs for true off-grid worst case scenario (upto a week or two usage amount would need to be stored).

2. You need different inverters for off-grid use than grid-tied use. Inverter models that are designed for grid-tie application are synced to the grid to generate the same sinus wave of AC power and they simply SHUT DOWN, when the grid is down -- at least that is the case for my grid-tied roof-top solar system I have been using for 8 year snow.

Because of these points, I believe a 2 powerwall system will not save you in case of a several day outage. You maybe able to ride-out a short outage of a few hours, but not anything prolonged.

Hmmm. I don’t know. Under “emergency operations procedures” we can live off of 3 KWH per day including refrigerator operation, basic lights, router, etc. How big is a power wall?

Is there not a big ass cutoff switch which allows isolation from the grid for safety purposes?

Do we have data proving Tesla couldn’t scale solar roofs quickly if they received some large contracts?

The largest builders generally break new developments into segments? Of at most 1000-2000 homes at a time? Wouldn’t any of these end up being less than 1000 per week?

We have data suggesting that the rest of the country other than Cali can't even get any solar roof installed until 2020 without any partners being promised X amount today.

Hmmm. I don’t know. Under “emergency operations procedures” we can live off of 3 KWH per day including refrigerator operation, basic lights, router, etc. How big is a power wall?

Is there not a big ass cutoff switch which allows isolation from the grid for safety purposes?

Powerwall 2 is 13.5kWh. And yes, when installed correctly, there is a big-ass Gateway switch that automatically disconnects from the grid when the grid goes down, and only reconnects after the grid has been up and stable for 5 minutes.

it’s coming in really handy in Northern CA these days...

It does seem very strange. But could you imagine the arse kicking Bezos would hand out if his cash and reputation after announcing 100k Amazon vans would be made by Rivian were burned.

Amazon is probably the second most brutal company in terms of demanding results after Elon's companies (blue origin excepted).
Why blue origin is excuted? Recent comments from shotwell is a slap on their faces. It's Bezos money after all.

We have data suggesting that the rest of the country other than Cali can't even get any solar roof installed until 2020 without any partners being promised X amount today.

So you’re suggesting solar roof will roll out more quickly in California?

If so, I see your point. Less of CA will shut down for weather, the fear and reality of rolling blackouts, Tesla’s status in CA, the respective wealth of people in the state and the respective high cost of houses, and new regulations requiring solar power, all would suggest a strong market?

I mean Tesla is wasting it's time partnering up RIGHT NOW since they are supply limited per Elon. If Elon were to promise most of it's roof to Toll Brothers then how will anyone else buy one for the upcoming half a year to a year? And how will these partners logistically offer them if Elon doesn't even know precisely when they can manufacture a boatload of them since this is the beginning of the S curve and will be going through production hell? It's one thing to make single customer wait due to a set back because x part in the manufacturing chain is on backorder, it's another to F it up with huge builders like Toll/Taylor Morrison/Ryan/etc etc.

When has Elon/Tesla ever made a deal that wasn’t beneficial to All involved?

You think in the box, as do so many others that said Tesla would need to have a JV partner in China, that Tesla couldn’t build one Gigafactory, let alone two as fast as they have, that GF4 is going to take years because you know - Europe the Unbendable.

I’m hearing the same ‘logical?’ arguments now about GF4, robotaxi, FSD, solar roofing as I’ve heard about everything Tesla for the last 8+ years. Have you not been paying attention?

If it’s in the best interest of Tesla and third party contractors and us for Tesla to partner, they will and ALL will benefit.

What about blue origin? Recent comments from shotwell is a slap on their faces.

Well, Bezos is a physicist, and when he studied at Princeton he was the president of the "Princeton chapter of the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space".

To Bezos Blue Origin is clearly a love affair, a cherished significant other whose financial performance is never seriously questioned. :D

So I wouldn't necessarily draw parallels between his management style at Amazon and his management style at Blue Origin. I too would expect Bezos to be very diligent regarding their Rivian investment.

Last edited:

That kind of thing is regulated because if you are connected to the grid you can't (legally) send power to the grid when the grid is down (for the safety of the workers repairing the grid). An automated failsafe is required and needs to be tested by the responsible authorities (e.g. a permit). I think it has to be periodically retested on some schedule, but that might depend on the jurisdiction. (Based on data centre experience).

Reactions: CorneliusXX
Well, Bezos is a physicist, and when he studied at Princeton he was the president of the "Princeton chapter of the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space".

To Bezos Blue Origin is clearly a love affair, a cherished significant other whose financial performance is never seriously questioned. :D

That is the only reason why I am working on increasing my digits.
Once I can, I want to create one of those wayward child type project that advances humanity.

Sorry this was just too funny!

View attachment 470482

OK, I smiled, but resisted rating it funny because it is truly sad that spouses and children of short sellers are affected.

On reading the rest of the thread I realised that I am the true heartless bastard. Wherever there is mention of selling a few shares to lock in profit I thought “No, don’t do that. That’s just being kind to the shorts.” Shorts have to cover. They get squeezed in inverse proportion to the number of kind hearted soles who profit take.

When has Elon/Tesla ever made a deal that wasn’t beneficial to All involved?

You think in the box, as do so many others that said Tesla would need to have a JV partner in China, that Tesla couldn’t build one Gigafactory, let alone two as fast as they have, that GF4 is going to take years because you know - Europe the Unbendable.

I’m hearing the same ‘logical?’ arguments now about GF4, robotaxi, FSD, solar roofing as I’ve heard about everything Tesla for the last 8+ years. Have you not been paying attention?

If it’s in the best interest of Tesla and third party contractors and us for Tesla to partner, they will and ALL will benefit.

I feel like you and I already not talking about the same thing. I believe Tesla WILL partner up with home builders. It's almost stupid not to. People were wondering why didn't Tesla partner up as of today? I provided an explanation based on my opinion..you took my explanation and start talking about something else. Who know's why Tesla didn't announce any partner ship during the V3 launch, I am not Elon. But the explanation I provided is the best I can come up with. Demand out strip supply..don't want to promise more than they can produce and drop the ball with large commercial companies.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Some choice Bob Lutz quotes:

“The Model 3 continues to sell well. But the Model Y, I think it’s terminally ugly. I don’t know who’s gonna buy that.”

“When it comes to battery technology, Tesla is in exactly the same place as everybody else. They use lithium-ion and lithium-ion has a certain energy content per kWh and everybody else has the same one. So the only reason why Tesla had more range was because they had a bigger battery.”

You can read more pearls of wisdom on Teslarati:
Tesla Model Y bashed by auto veteran: 'It's terminally ugly. I don't know who's gonna buy that'

Edit: well, I guess he IS right. The “energy content per kWh” is 1 kWh, and that IS the same for everyone.

Last edited:
I feel like you and I already not talking about the same thing. I believe Tesla WILL partner up with home builders. It's almost stupid not to. People were wondering why didn't Tesla partner up as of today? I provided an explanation based on my opinion..you took my explanation and start talking about something else. Who know's why Tesla didn't announce any partner ship during the V3 launch, I am not Elon. But the explanation I provided is the best I can come up with. Demand out strip supply..don't want to promise more than they can produce and drop the ball with large commercial companies.
The others would be they want to make sure that V3 installations actually go as planned (e.g. smoothly and trouble-free) before committing to any large scale builder. Also large scale builders will want a substantial discount (often along with altered specs to further reduce the price), so perhaps they have contacted them and were declined.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: EVNow and Hock1
OK, I smiled, but resisted rating it funny because it is truly sad that spouses and children of short sellers are affected.

On reading the rest of the thread I realised that I am the true heartless bastard. Wherever there is mention of selling a few shares to lock in profit I thought “No, don’t do that. That’s just being kind to the shorts.” Shorts have to cover. They get squeezed in inverse proportion to the number of kind hearted soles who profit take.

I recently cancelled all my stepped sell orders- since I have no immediate need to take profits, and next year would be better for tax purposes anyway, I’m feeling a little........obtuse.

(Yes, even the 420 one! :p)

So I wouldn't necessarily draw parallels between his management style at Amazon and his management style at Blue Origin. I too would expect Bezos to be very diligent regarding their Rivian investment.

This has nothing to do with financials. They failed to even reach orbit consistently despite of years head start and ample funding.

If you have a kid whom you spent ton of money on a private school hoping he does well academically. And he consistently get Cs from school won't you want to do something about it?

Some choice Bob Lutz quotes:

“The Model 3 continues to sell well. But the Model Y, I think it’s terminally ugly. I don’t know who’s gonna buy that.”

“When it comes to battery technology, Tesla is in exactly the same place as everybody else. They use lithium-ion and lithium-ion has a certain energy content per kWh and everybody else has the same one. So the only reason why Tesla had more range was because they had a bigger battery.”

You can read more pearls of wisdom on Teslarati:
Tesla Model Y bashed by auto veteran: 'It's terminally ugly. I don't know who's gonna buy that'

Edit: well, I guess he IS right. The “energy content per kWh” is 1 kWh, and that IS the same for everyone.

Bob Lutz -> GM -> Pontiac -> Aztek

Well, he is an expert in ugly.
World's 15 Ugliest Cars
(and low volume)

Vincent on Twitter

"First batch of the Made in China Tesla Model 3 from Shanghai Gigafactory GF3"
"Oct 27th 2019"

gf3.jpg

That's 10 cars by October 27, 2019.