Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've heard of GF4 and Elon
It's best just to leave them alone
As Investors we hold
through FUD with our gold
Wherever our Teslas are shown

As Electric currents flow,
So shall our stock grow,
GF1, GF3, GF4, and more,
Elon's companies are sometimes a bore,
Despite Shortie Shorts always spreading FUD,
We know our TSLA is not a dud.

This makes no sense.

JFYI, German Auto Profits, are, to a great extent, auto purchases from the rest of Europe. To the extent those purchases were debt financed, it ended up being German banks financing the purchases of German car industry customers.

The primary motivation behind the EU shared market was for German industry and financial institutions to be able to expand to new European markets, unrestricted. The cost of that barrier free expansion were gigantic real estate bubbles in Spain & co, the shrinking of non-German local industry, and the raising of southern wages to uncompetitive levels. This was by design, this was what Germany wanted.

Germany sharing in the costs of Eurozone bailouts, after greatly profiting from a bubble and debt fueled spending binge, is only fair, right?

What doesn't make sense?

Germany "sharing the cost of Eurozone bailouts" is like the United States sharing the cost of Western defense.

If German profits made from Southern Europe are returned as foreign aid/gifts to Southern Europe what is the point of profit? Germans are making cars for Southern Europe at cost as a public service for Europe?

JustMe, Yesterday at 11:46 PM
While I see the trend I also think Greta would not buy a car to begin with.

He arranged the use of a 3 while she was in America. She doesn't own a Tesla and given the environmental cost of any car, I will be surprised if she buys one of any make.

She persuaded her parents to buy an EV but to only use it when necessary. Given Tesla’s market share I would presume they own a Tesla, though I’m not sure I’ve seen it reported specifically.

Just a small observation on “no longer a growth company” Tesla.
Two months ago Tesla were producing vehicles at just 1 factory. In 18 months time they aim to be producing vehicles at 4 factories.

This is not just a huge growth in capacity, revenue and gross profit. It is a huge amount more operating leverage of their largely fixed SG&A, R&D and interest costs.
It is also a huge reduction in force majeure risk as now revenue is no longer dependent on a single location.

Live WWII bombs and ammunition are a valid concern, and this is a hazard to construction projects all across Germany (and most of Europe).

This is a hazard map I found for Brandenburg:

GF4 is near the bottom right corner of Berlin, and is marked as a relatively low risk area.

Fortunately this is not a complex urban environment with lots of historic remains in the ground, with nearby population, surrounded by high value structures.

This is 200-300ha of low grade forest on sandy soil (no rockbed), with no previous structures known, far away from residential areas, where the metallic casing of bombs and ammunition should light up on a metal detector like a Christmas tree.

There's the also the risk of phosphorus bombs that are harder to detect - but this is a pretty routine topic in Germany. I'd expect an expert team to sweep the area before bulldozers are allowed on the premises.

Additionally, a highway was recently constructed just next to this plot, so they probably have a pretty good idea about what to expect.
Germany has too many Frankfurts.

Interesting post. I can't reply to all of that due to the shear volume, but let me point out something that is notable. The drag coefficient is mentioned as being significant. That is a pro and a con in Tesla cars. Why don't all cars have such low drag coefficients?
It's pretty easy. Exhaust system below the car. Mufflers, tailpipes and catalytic converters are big air blocks.

JFYI, German Auto Profits, are, to a great extent, auto purchases from the rest of Europe. To the extent those purchases were debt financed, it ended up being German banks financing the purchases of German car industry customers.

The primary motivation behind the EU shared market was for German industry and financial institutions to be able to expand to new European markets, unrestricted...
Sorry. This is too simplistic and one-sided. That is; "...This makes no sense."
We must look at the history, beginning with the precursor of the EU:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:11951K:EN:PDF

We can go off-topic quite quickly, but this history is immediately relevant to Tesla.
First, locating in Brandenburg is a stroke of genius, especially since, as some have already commented, skilled workers can commute from Poland to augment the industry-specific expertise lacking in Brandenburg today. Second retrenchment by Daimler and others will make acquisition of engineers facilitated.
Second, The combination of GF-3 and GF-4 give Tesla much easier export access to most global export markets.
Third, most vehicle finance in Europe is via domestic financing in local markets, not German funding. With exceptions EU countries have very well developed local financing with the transnational consumer vehicle financing quite internationalized. Direct funding sources tend to be consumer savings with large pools of insurance and retirement plans, both public and private. (If anyone needs details they are readily available but boring to almost everyone.)
Fourth and most importantly, production in Germany and China allows easy access to most world markets without the volatility of US sourcing.

This is 200-300ha of low grade forest on sandy soil (no rockbed), with no previous structures known, far away from residential areas, where the metallic casing of bombs and ammunition should light up on a metal detector like a Christmas tree.
As your previous sat image shows, its 300 hectares of replanted forrest. I guarantee the Germans did not harvest the old growth trees and then plant a whole replacement stand of trees without first checking for buried ordinance. Likely ~30 yrs ago too, based on the size of those trees.
Cheers!

To add some color and, not skepticism, but rather a pragmatic-check to what@jbcarioca just wrote, can we learn where it is in Poland the auto industry has been concentrated?

Although I am sure the “commute” distances are not prohibitive, I also suspect we’ll find they aren’t specifically bundled right at the border crossing points that happen to be the very closest to Berlin.

Third, most vehicle finance in Europe is via domestic financing in local markets, not German funding.

What I meant were the macroeconomic flows from 2000 to 2010: the flow of about ~1 trillion Euros (read: 1,000 billion Euros) of funds from the "north" the the "south", in part a gigantic property bubble, in part by increasing debt in the south.

I.e. in a very simplified and imprecise form: Greece and Spain was taking on government and private debt and was buying German cars from it, which reduced local competitiveness. EU rules were specifically designed to allow the unrestricted flow of funds from the north to the south - so there was nothing the south could do to protect their local industries.

Germany nudge-nudge-wink accepted Greece into the EU, despite their obviously doctored balance sheet, in part because they wanted the market expansion.

Acting surprised and insisting on 'austerity' once the partying is over and there's a giant hangover, while having benefited greatly from the near-illegal sales of booze, is an obviously one-sided view ...

Put differently: "auto profits" are tainted goods, they were boosted by a decade of binge-buying by the south.

Two months ago Tesla were producing vehicles at just 1 factory. In 18 months time they aim to be producing vehicles at 4 factories.

This is not just a huge growth in capacity, revenue and gross profit. It is a huge amount more operating leverage of their largely fixed SG&A, R&D and interest costs.
It is also a huge reduction in force majeure risk as now revenue is no longer dependent on a single location.

I believe only three Tesla vehicle factories are publicly announced as roadster and semi production remain in development with no announced location? But of course it seems like Fremont will be bursting at the seams after the Model Y goes live so a fourth vehicle producing factory certainly makes sense and in the Q3 update presentation they were listed under a generic 'US' location (along with the pickup truck).

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba

I was thinking the same thing about that comment he made. I couldn't quite figure out how to articulate my thoughts as well as you have.

It is amazing that he thinks Tesla is supposed to increase revenue daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly - hell, minutely to meet his requirement to be a growth company (at least for Tesla). When you're building and selling all the cars you are able to, the growth has to come through building more factories and more models - both of which Tesla is doing at break-neck speed. Will it always happen daily, weekly, or quarterly? NO!!

(NOTE: This next part actually AMAZED me after I typed it because I didn't know how accurate Elon's prediction on this truly was - I thought it was just "close")
The growth of the company reminds me of when Elon said the range of Tesla cars would increase by about 5% per year. Then around the end of 2016, the 100D was introduced and the range increased to 335 miles. Then there was a lull for a couple of years. I remember thinking in 2018 and 2019, where's the 5% per year? Tesla better get on the ball. Then of course in 2019, we've had 2 range increases. Now watch this and be amazed.

Here is the yearly range from 2012 for the Model S given Musk's prediction of a 5% average yearly range increase.

2012 - 265
2013 - 278
2014 - 292
2015 - 306
2016 - 322
2017 - 338
2018 - 355
2019 - 373

Now, go to Tesla's website and look at the current range estimate for the Model S (I'll give you a hint if you don't already know or don't feel like looking - it's a number between 372 and 374 ;)).

Yeah, I guess the fines and payments are in EUR too.

So I was reading through the recent FCA Q3 ER conference call transcript, and FCA executives absolutely didn't want to talk about how much they'll be paying to Tesla in 2020:

Edited Transcript of FCA.MI earnings conference call or presentation 31-Oct-19 1:00pm GMT

Adam Michael Jonas, Morgan Stanley, Research Division - MD [46]

"First, I just want to say I just have this image in my mind of Sergio up above, taking a nice long drag looking down on you and saying, Mike, Richard and John, proud of you, well done. A couple of questions on -- couple of questions on EVs. Can you possibly be specific on how much you're actually paying Tesla for the pooling credits? There's just so many while I have seen numbers ranging from EUR 200 million to EUR 2 billion. Can you just help us and genuinely to help with that delta from '19 to '20 on that? My first question, and then I have just have one follow-up."

Michael M. Manley, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. - CEO & Executive Director [47]

Love you to death, but no.

And I believe FCA doesn't want to talk about those costs is because they are variable and FCA considers it a hedge:

"So I viewed the Tesla relationship somewhat as a hedge because we begin to launch obviously our electrified vehicles next year and into '21, technically, we could with very high penetrations in '21 reach compliance on paper. The reality is, it's still not entirely sure, even though I made positive comments, which I do believe at the beginning of this call, still not 100% sure of take rates [in] real price and recovery. So for me, the Tesla was a hedge, but it's done in '21."

Reading between the lines, FCA doesn't know how much they are going to pay Tesla in 2020: it depends on the emissions of the fleet they are going to sell, it depends on how well their own EVs are going to sell. They'll only purchase the absolute minimum number of credits from Tesla, to move them into compliance to reach 90g/km emissions in 2020 across all their EU sales.

I also suspect that the maximum payments to Tesla might be so high that they didn't want to disclose them... Instead they have rosy expectations for 2020. Which payments to Tesla they might have to adjust, upwards.

I believe the payments involve a formula of how many CO2 emissions penalties the Tesla vehicles delivered save FCA: this is not something FCA can estimate in advance, as nobody knows how many vehicles Tesla is going to deliver in the EU in 2020, nor how bad the PSA-FCA emissions are going to be.

They also expect to not require Tesla's help by the end of 2021.

I believe FCA management might be deluding themselves if they think that a re-spun Fiat e500 is going to be competitive in 2020, that a BEV Alpha platform will be competitive in 2021, and they might also be overly optimistic about how much they can reduce emissions of their existing gasoline vehicles. This is true of the PSA-FCA merged company too I believe.

(Paging @Prunesquallor and @generalenthu.)
I’ll try to find time this weekend (remote consulting gig this week) to dust off the model and rerun with the new FCA emission numbers (worse) and the possible effects of the merger.

The only thing the model will tell us is FCA's 2020/21 through 2024 penalty reduction as a function of EU ZEVs in the pooled fleet (from what we saw earlier this year, the numbers were grim for FCA to eliminate all penalties). What I don’t have insight into is 1) the number of in-house EU ZEVs FCA/PSA thinks they are going to sell (their current sales are minuscule), 2) the fraction of the penalty reduction FCA plans to pay Tesla in exchange for joining the pool. We can all play those games a posteriori when we know the penalty reduction value per ZEV.

@generalenthu performed some similar calculations and pointed out some potential issues with my methodology (since corrected), so his input would be valued.

I believe only three Tesla vehicle factories are publicly announced as roadster and semi production remain in development with no announced location? But of course it seems like Fremont will be bursting at the seams after the Model Y goes live so a fourth vehicle producing factory certainly makes sense and in the Q3 update presentation they were listed under a generic 'US' location (along with the pickup truck).

Yes the odds of Tesla Semi production at Fremont seem extremely low. Tesla says Semi will be in production by late 2020. Hence a new location. Very likely at GF1 as it will be very hard to build anywhere else so quickly. I guess Lathrop is possible too.
Pickup is less clear, there is a higher chance this could be at a 5th location, but I would still on balance guess it will be made at GF1. It’s possible Tesla aim for Pickup to be in production within 18 months too. We should hear soon enough. So production at 5 locations within 18 months isn’t out of the question either.

I’ll try to find time this weekend (remote consulting gig this week) to dust off the model and rerun with the new FCA emission numbers (worse) and the possible effects of the merger.

The only thing the model will tell us is FCA's 2020/21 through 2024 penalty reduction as a function of EU ZEVs in the pooled fleet (from what we saw earlier this year, the numbers were grim for FCA to eliminate all penalties). What I don’t have insight into is 1) the number of in-house EU ZEVs FCA/PSA thinks they are going to sell (their current sales are minuscule), 2) the fraction of the penalty reduction FCA plans to pay Tesla in exchange for joining the pool. We can all play those games a posteriori when we know the penalty reduction value per ZEV.

@generalenthu performed some similar calculations and pointed out some potential issues with my methodology (since corrected), so his input would be valued.

I hope Tesla has maintained flexibility to add further OEMs to their emission pool at short notice (or saved European car sales to add to a different pool) .
By the end of 2020 Daimler are going to realise their EV sales are nowhere near enough to get them out of their huge EU emissions black hole.