Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla probably survived due to the partnership with Mercedes Benz in 2010. Sure that counts as an upside? :D

Also, Tesla was open to new partnerships as late as this year:

Also time changed. Tesla is now pumping out the world best and cheapest power train at significant volume. Trying to compete against the best engineers working on this stuff while you bleed billions is just a dumb move. You will guarantee to sell more cars if people know it's a Tesla power train because it's the best and it's proven to last. So if I were the Ceo and I were serious about selling EVs while at the same time don't want to burn all this money on a power train no one wants anyways, partnering up with Tesla is a no brainer. I already outsourced like 80% of the car already anyways.

But of course the power train is a pride thing for automakers. If your power train isn't even yours, then what good are you as a car company?

So being conservative, Tesla has doubled Model 3 production, with more in Shanghai imminent, Model Y being produced in Q1, Pickup and Semi production in a year, FSD completed in a year, power train agreement with Ford, FCA, and VW, solar roofs producing 10,000 / week in a year, battery storage tripling next year.

Conservatively $1000/share next year ;)

Ford has $$$ that Tesla wants but more importantly, every drive train Tesla make sold to Ford is one less ICE car shipped out of Ford. Tesla is the only company not dragging their feet. They will put that $$ to more super chargers and more gigafactores. We don't know what Maxwell tech is capable of but if Tesla can scale up cell production by 10x vs today then they absolutely want to start selling power trains vs having all these other companies waiting for LG to give them enough to build compliance cars.

I can't believe you are starting to think Tesla is only a car company. I am rooting for power train partnership with anybody and everybody.
Sort of agree. Tesla could make and sell motors and inverters with zero harm to the company. Probably can manage pure profit of $400 per car on that alone. Tesla could ramp this up without shorting itself any supply. That would save Ford 2-3 years of work and make the Mach-E have good specs. Tesla cannot afford to sell any of its batteries, so the deal would never include that. Tesla could also bargain for royalties even after Ford goes to internal production. Of course the main reason AGAINST this is the Ford/Rivian relationship.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Sort of agree. Tesla could make and sell motors and inverters with zero harm to the company. Probably can manage pure profit of $400 per car on that alone. Tesla could ramp this up without shorting itself any supply. That would save Ford 2-3 years of work and make the Mach-E have good specs. Tesla cannot afford to sell any of its batteries, so the deal would never include that. Tesla could also bargain for royalties even after Ford goes to internal production. Of course the main reason AGAINST this is the Ford/Rivian relationship.

Well Ford is due late 2020-2021 right? I am assuming Maxwell has scaled up. Didn't musk say 1 terawatt production coming?

Also Ford can hedge against Rivian in case they F up which there's a higher chance of that happening than not.

Basically I think that many will see the cybrtrck as a solution for nobody's problem.
No one here knows that pickups sell millions both globally and in the US. You don't see them here (in Italy) and if you see them they are bought by posers, like the Hummers few years ago.
So if Tesla does a super-truck, many will look at it and think that is a overengineered behemoth for alpha-males with compensation problems, and @avoigt already replied about misconceptions and disinformation about batteries and EVs. Greens here advocate for public transport, much less for EVs.

This is a similar problem to the fact that when Elon/Tesla said it would have produced a "mass-market" electric car.
This is true for US (the average price is 35k, TMC taught me) but here in Europe is far less (ie. source).
Here in Italy a Model 3 SR+ costs 49.500 € for the base model. So still a premium car like BMW/Audi/Mercedes.
Basically, all other EVs cost less than M3.
So I hope you start understanding the different perspective people can have here towards Tesla.

I personally think that Tesla will be seen in a different light from the "green" side after the Semi, and also after Tesla Energy actually ramps up and sells a bunch of Megapacks projects also here.
Those to me are real game changers, and there are no arguments against that I can think of.
Semi will be big in terms of PR.
I can tell you that the oil industry still thinks they get all the demand growth from trucking cuz' EVs can't do that. I believe the Semi will be the single most disruptive vehicle to the oil industry.

Yep, he’s either male or a lesbian.

Meet the wife...

upload_2019-11-17_23-51-48.png

I don't care much what cybertruck looks like. It's not a get up for DragonCon. What I care about is how much utility it packs. It needs to be the most useful, pragmatic truck ever. This is really what will secure commercial usage, which is where the positive environmental impact really happens.

Also, I'd suggest waiting until after the unveiling to buy stock on the merits of the cybertruck. I thoroughly expect the stock price to drop the day after the unveiling. That's just a news nullification play by the shorts. So wait for those guys to give you the discount.

Is Elon Musk a CIA backed asset? TSLAQ investigates.

Thats the guy who was 100% sure the Tesla stock would bounce down after going up to $240 lately and go to below $150 and lower and at that point doubled down on his shot bet laughing in the camera.

Well now we are above $350 and somehow he does not laugh any more...

I never watch videos from short unless that one time wondering how on earth this people can even believe in their
Tesla probably survived due to the partnership with Mercedes Benz in 2010. Sure that counts as an upside? :D

Also, Tesla was open to new partnerships as late as this year:

We can fairly assume that Tesla talks to many large Automakers while VW, Fiat Chryslerand Daimler are just three of them. It would be a solution for most of the issues incumbents have to be able to get a drive train supply from Tesla but I have my doubts that Tesla will do it in the near future.

Elon would certainly do it if capacity allows it which is a win-win situation but right now with the impressive product road map in the pipeline it would reduce the ability of Tesla to force the world into sustainable transportation by taking sales away from ICE automakers. Sure supplying would make them producing better BEVs that are sold but it won't help to increase the output of battery packs as required.

Panasonic seems to not make much or money at all right now which may explain why they are not expanding and investing in an aggressive way and although productivity on the 13 lines in Sparks increases I have not heard them to add lines.

With GF3 now starting we'll see an increase of capacity but you need to balance all capacities in your production chain to make profits and avoid higher losses. Quite a complex exercise.

Also I expect some rather drastic shifts in that area with potentially Tesla starting its own cell production including Maxwell technology which may be next level and maybe even going in the mining business to secure required supply for the future.