Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the bed-size issue:

Most of the pickups in my area, and nearly all of the working trucks, have an aftermarket tool box mounted behind the cab.

View attachment 480755

Like this one, most don't go all the way down to the deck, so you can still slide some lumber underneath.

That said, moving this storage into the locker underneath the bed (like the Honda Pilot) makes the Cybertruck's 6.5' bed more usable than most, and reduces the need for a long bed, for some folks, to some degree.

Anecdotally, most of my p/u friends prefer the looks and maneuverability of a short bed on a crew-cab truck. Those that have a long bed, just can't handle the size of a 6.5' box MINUS the bolt in tool storage.

mall those tools could probably fit in the frunk.

I would definitely prefer an 8’ bed, but I can just leave the tailgate down for those 2x4s, plywood, etc... No biggie.
I fully expected a fold-up lip that would be flipped up after you drop the tailgate. Assuming that the tailgate is at least 18" tall, that would equate to an 8' bed. The flipped up portion may only be 16" tall as it nests inside the 18"+ tall tailgate and act like the flip up plastic thingy on printers that keep your paper from falling off. Maybe the telescoping ramp can be multi-purpose.

I'm really dreading tomorrow when we all have to move over to the Cybertruck only thread. It will be crickets here.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 12.07.32 PM.png
My next Tesla likely a X, but if I change my mind I have an option (Space Cadillac)

The solar panel. Now true it doesn't charge that much, but typical military actions are hurry up and wait. Also only the first push uses a lot of range. I see this replacing ambulances and such. You won't see this vehicle in the front lines.
Unmanned operation combined with cheap mass-production might change that. Swarming anti-tank land drones?

The several people who have talked about buying a cyber truck in place of an SUV got me thinking. The cyber truck is very nice, because uncovered it is just a traditional pick up truck, and yet covered it gives a little over 50% of the covered cargo volume of an SUV, because of the taper. This also achieves better aero.

Why shouldn’t it be possible for the covered cargo volume to dynamically grow, so effectively it can be as large as a two box SUV shape, or shrink (to the current shape (or even less) when cargo is not needed for maximum aero? The cargo area does not need to be sound insulated, nor very strong. It just needs to provide weather protection and keep cargo from departing the vehicle:)

Couldn’t the side rails dynamically change from tapered to straight across and Tesla’s rolling cover be long enough for either case? I think most people that need that maximum cargo area of an SUV, only need it very occasionally.

Does that idea work?

I think this statement is incorrect. I had the same perception at first, but of course the cover doesn't close to the bed floor at the back, but to the top of the tail-gate. So in fact the Cybertruck has 50% more covered volume than an equivalent bed-sized ICE pickup with a tonneau.

I keep seeing discussions of military/combat uses for the CT. I can't figure how one would "refuel" an electric vehicle in combat. One can't just roll a Supercharger to the front lines. How might that work?
Or, if all else fails, traditional petrol/diesel logistics combined with big, portable dc generators.

EM was cavalier about sales of Cybertruck before the reveal. Which implies his plans for this chassis go well beyond CT.

Also, I believe most media have missed the significance of having electricity available in the rectangular bed. There are tons of add ons that can be created with a source of power to cover any perceived deficiencies.

Add an electrified conveyor belt, lift, or movable shelves which makes it easier than manually lifting items over the side. CT makes electrified accessories practical, that would have had usability issues in ICE pickups.
Cybertruck2.png
the Shopsmith of the trucking world.

• Funny
Reactions: pnungesser