Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

What gas gasses out?
Ar. I watched a short U2b from Sheffield Uni: Pour salt (NaCl) into a mould, add a piece of Al, secure lid with a hose attached to it, place in furnace, add argon gas, apply vacuum after salt melts into metal. Cool it, then rinse out the salt. Saw off extra Al from end of foam.

Or, in this case, more like the molten metal and gasses from high energy impact of projectile. (Reading error) :oops:

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
I can see the outcome of the case presents a concern to a number of people. Considering how Tesla is seen as an extension of Elon and how many lawsuits it is subject to right now, those people are gonna ask 2 question.
1/ How competent are Elon's, and by extension, Tesla's defense team? If they lose this one, where does it end?
2/ Is there bias against Elon and, by extension, Tesla in the court?
I can't say how many people are concerned about these, just playing devil advocate.

In the long term, I don't see the elderly owning any cars at all. Their usage of vehicles go down so they can sell it off. Then they don't need to pay for insurance or maintenance. Instead, they can pull up the Tesla app and get a ride for a $1.

Over time, elderly will have more accessibility due to low cost grocery delivery, meal delivery, package delivery, robotaxis, etc. A lot of that will end up being automated and low cost with Robovans delivering it.
I think the important note here is that Tesla is planning on owners to provide the vehicles to be used as Taxis. Who better as an ownership class than a group of people that don't need them at the point of highest demand. Someone actually has to buy the cars...tesla robo taxi service would be a layer, an uber replacement, if I understand Telsas strategy.

Delivery is not what elderly want really, they want socialization. Delivery-packages, meals, etc is the opposite. It is isolating. The drive/need for humans to socialize is important and the inability of elderly to partake of this most human of needs at the point of greatest need is very sad.

Once the robo taxis become common I would agree, $1 will solve a lot of socialization needs. The elderly purchases may just be the means to reach that end.

Added to TSLAQ ban list in 3...2...

That isn't the issue: it will be reported to twitter for terms of service violations. And, just like tesla_truth, while whoever runs it may get it reactivated a time or two, eventually #TSLAQ will get it permabanned.

View attachment 484195

About time. Amazing that he manages to get away with violating Twitter's platform manipulation policy as long as he does.

It's already back up.

So, the orange in chief wants to play with trade a bit more and all markets cry...but TSLA is fighting hard against this.
Is this just GF3 becoming a reality and trade wars becoming less spooky, or is there something else?
More importantly, if markets run scared for a while, will TSLA resist the downward pressure (after all, is the economy slows significantly, all lose)?

Ah, to be or not to be!

To your point, my in-laws queried me about FSD for my wife's grandfather -- and that was a year ago I think. Unfortunately it just isn't there yet, but it will be.
FSD Impacts on Organic Market Growth

I've been wanting to get something out here on this thread. @KarenRei @ReflexFunds and others post so much good information I thought I would try to help a bit, not sure how much this moves things in the next 2 Qs but longer term..I think it could.

Simply: FSD will enable the elderly to drive again. The possibility that self driving taxis will deliver kids (drunks, hip folk, etc) and reduce the need for car ownership has been mulled for some time. I actually see, in the intermediate time frame, a possibility that it will enable a very wealthy population bracket to gain increased mobility. In the USA many elderly are prohibited from driving due to poor eyesight and minor handicaps. Even more greatly limit driving to full daylight at somewhat reduced speeds. In my experience elderly love to socialize, the hallways of a senior citizens home are much more active than the hallways of a typical apartment. Yet, elderly can't really drive as much as they want, they constantly make compromises (and maybe should make more).

The second relevant point here is that this is an age bracket with enourrmass wealth. Not really much else to say. Older people have money and few spending needs.

Precedent: Wii U: The game was introduced for kids but became a hit with older people.

Why is this so important for tesla investors: older consumers have very few spending needs other than healthcare. They have deteriorating quality of life due to our highly motorized society (speaking to the USA but to some extent other countries). We accept this terrible circumstance almost without comment but what if...what if we could do so much better. What if our grandparents could arrange their own visit to a doctor without a taxi, neighbor, or relative. What if they could still go to bingo, or the dance, or to a night movie. What if they could see their old friend at the hospital. What if they could go see the grandkids and take care of them at night while mom&dad had dinner out (coming back at 10 or 11 or midnight) and the car could take them home safely. I could see hundreds of thousands or even millions of orders for cars, a whole class of new consumers. In the longer terms they would make perfect owners of tesla taxi's. They rarely need to be driving during rush hours for instance. They have the capital to invest and a committed interest in success.

So that's it. I think FSD will create a much better life experience for many people between the ages of 75-90, people who are still cogent & mobile but have particular constraints that prevent full participation in society. It would not just be great for the environment but be great as a force for equality and greater humanity. I'm not the best writer, this could be stated so much more elegantly and thus more powerfully. Our society would be far richer if this observation becomes a realization. Of course, FSD has to work.... (ducks)

In the long term, I don't see the elderly owning any cars at all. Their usage of vehicles go down so they can sell it off. Then they don't need to pay for insurance or maintenance. Instead, they can pull up the Tesla app and get a ride for a $1.

Over time, elderly will have more accessibility due to low cost grocery delivery, meal delivery, package delivery, robotaxis, etc. A lot of that will end up being automated and low cost with Robovans delivering it.

A good point, but the elderly gentleman I referenced above is over 90 and comes from a different time. He doesn't have a smart phone so there's no app to use. Even if he did have a smart phone he wouldn't use an app to get a ride. A bit of a product of his times, but he is way too independent to call a cab. I wasn't sure he would settle for FSD, but when I gave him a ride he was blown away. So, maybe.

Of course, as people from that generation die off we get people who grew up in different times hitting the "not safe to drive" condition (not that it happens all at once). But this desire to not own anything and just "pay per use" is (as much as I hate the term) more of a millennial thing. So acceptance will certainly rise over time, but there's definitely still a market for ownership.

And this points to another case where FSD pricing would ideally be split: personal use vs robotaxi. In some of these rural communities it just isn't realistic to expect a robotaxi service for a long time to come, but people with limited mobility or driving restrictions still live there. A personal FSD vehicle makes a lot of sense for them.

So, the orange in chief wants to play with trade a bit more and all markets cry...but TSLA is fighting hard against this.
Is this just GF3 becoming a reality and trade wars becoming less spooky, or is there something else?
More importantly, if markets run scared for a while, will TSLA resist the downward pressure (after all, is the economy slows significantly, all lose)?

Ah, to be or not to be!

Agreed. What the hell do I know but I liquidated the majority of my holdings last week on that new high. I kept TSLA.

A cold battery will heat up regardless of size eventually. But with current battery technology, charging a cold battery causes lithium plating of the anode. A smaller battery comes up to temperature much more quickly because it has less thermal mass to change temperature.
Again, so what, you've got double the range? What scenario are you trying to charge a cold pack? Not after you've been driving it for a while, which is when you need to charge.
I'm also generally surprised that such a Tesla fan is advocating for the opposite of their philosophy to provide the largest pack possible, and all the benefits which come from it. You seem to be advocating for people to run around with a minimal pack which barely meets their needs, and is thus under more stress most of the time.

I think the important note here is that Tesla is planning on owners to provide the vehicles to be used as Taxis.
Only partly as a complement to Tesla's fleet. Remember that when vehicles go off lease, Tesla intends to turn them into robotaxis. Tesla gets these vehicles back cheaply.

Fleet operators have a much bigger advantage than one off guys like us who want to do rentals. Tesla can just farm out all the maintenance, wear and tear, and damage to service centers. We are on our own for all that. Plus we have to deal with insurance. Perhaps big operators like Tesla could partly self insure.

Why would i want to compete with Tesla at a $1 a ride or whatever ridiculously low price they charge? Maybe if the car is some sort indestructible cheap car. I just don't see how I would want to compete with Tesla in this game. Definitely not when i'm older.

Last edited:
Delivery is not what elderly want really, they want socialization. Delivery-packages, meals, etc is the opposite. It is isolating. The drive/need for humans to socialize is important and the inability of elderly to partake of this most human of needs at the point of greatest need is very sad.
I can assure you that I am not all that interested in lugging 25 kg bags of cat litter or wheat and other grains from the store. I'd much rather they'd be delivered. (being a lazy sod, I bought a hand truck so minimal lifting and carrying).

Goddammit, money didn't arrive in time to catch the pre-market dip. I set a $330 buy order for 33, but well, never made it... And stupid me, I set it as GTC, so now I can't buy in pre-market today as the money is reserved :mad:

Think the SP is heading up, maybe this stupid trial might put some downward pressure, especially is Elon loses, but I'm really unsure what the impact might be.

Blah +32 @ $335 - these are treading shares, to be offloaded (hopefully 31 or less) in the run-up to delivery figures.

What gas gasses out?

There are various ways to create metal foam. One is to start with a metal powder and mix in a small amount of a compound that will decompose with heat and give off a gas (when making alumium foam, titanium hydride is a common substance used for this), which creates bubbles in the viscous molten metal.