Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of S&P 500 - does anyone know of a "clean" S&P 500 to invest in?

One without oil companies or anything like that.
VFTSX (Vanguard FTSE Social Index Fund Investor Shares)

edit: Oops, that was non-responsive, since it's a total market fund not an S&P fund. Sorry, but leaving it here anyway.

The Chinese regulator has reportedly issued the MIC Tesla Model 3 sales permit,
Kelvin Yang on Twitter
Omg! This is a big one two punch with the MIC subsidy news this morning

Can we start obsessively dissecting the implications of this instead of that ridiculous trial that already has a dedicated thread?

Bobfitz1 said:
When I read that GF4 parking areas are now filling up with cars ready to deliver, it seemed to me that several thousand MIC deliveries are now nearly guaranteed by end of Q4.

Wow, that's quick! They haven't even cleared the trees from GF4 yet, but they've filled the parking lot in Germany with cars from China?

Nicely done ggr! That will teach me to post without a third proofread! Now that I've been cut off at the knees, it will take me 3 times as long to play a round of golf!

Tim Conway as Dorf.png

For anyone who doesn't want to give Fred a click: they switched from single and dual motor Cybertrucks in late 2021, tri-motor in late 2022, to having dual and tri-motor in late 2021, and the single-motor RWD in late 2022. Likely as a result of the fact only 17% of reservations were single-motor RWD, with the rest split between the other versions, so why not prioritize the more expensive versions?

Not how I see it. My view would be that at only 17% (and I am one, full disclosure), the single motor is an easy make. Further, why not just move the tri-motor up? What happened here essentially has more to do with the impact of price points as I see it. This is evident by the timing of the announcement as well since there was no need to make this announcement now.

What is it about this quarter or next quarter that makes it desirable to make this announcement now? What am I supposed to do now? What decision is being made more easy for me?

Also, it seems like motors are starting to become the differentiator vs range/pack. Lots to think about based on this announcement.

Reactions: humbaba
OK now we can run. Announce official start of deliveries and the SP will go bonkers as parking lot empties.

TO: Boss Short

Looks like they are going to start delivering China made model 3's next week.
Those made in China will get an extra 25,000 rebate.
You would think this is good for Tesla, it isn't.

Headline Shortsville Times

Four shiploads of Tesla's can't compete with Chinese made cars. Tesla DOOMED !

Sincerely
Chief Editor
Shortsville Times

From the wapo article comments:

"Regarding charging Teslas and other electric vehicles. While I charge at home, I have had no problems going on long trips. The map tells you where the Tesla charging stations are and directs you there. I like to walk the dog, have a cup of coffee and walk around a bit. The Tesla is so comfortable and temperature controlled, I often just sit in it while it is charging at a supercharger and play the video games on the screen. (I am an 81 year old female.

Also, there are wonderful Tesla groups on Facebook, who give hints on charging and most everything Tesla related. My favorite group is Tesla Divas, where we don't have to put up with nasty male comments."

:D:D:D

Please link the Washington Post article. I have a subscription, and I see several from a week ago, mostly about Cybertruck.

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Not how I see it. My view would be that at only 17% (and I am one, full disclosure), the single motor is an easy make. Further, why not just move the tri-motor up? What happened here essentially has more to do with the impact of price points as I see it. This is evident by the timing of the announcement as well since there was no need to make this announcement now.

What is it about this quarter or next quarter that makes it desirable to make this announcement now? What am I supposed to do now? What decision is being made more easy for me?

Also, it seems like motors are starting to become the differentiator vs range/pack. Lots to think about based on this announcement.
Perhaps Tesla was not expecting the tri-motor model to be so popular. But it will undoubtedly be a higher margin vehicle. By making it sooner they secure higher profits and perhaps impact potential sales of higher trim rival vehicles. Just my thinking As to why can’t they start making all three models at the same time - well they probably could but it would mean delaying sales until all three trims were perfected.

Why make this announcement now? Well a good fraction of a million people might be interested to have this information if they put down a deposit...

Reactions: UncaNed
Perhaps Tesla was not expecting the tri-motor model to be so popular. But it will undoubtedly be a higher margin vehicle. By making it sooner they secure higher profits and perhaps impact potential sales of higher trim rival vehicles. Just my thinking As to why can’t they start making all three models at the same time - well they probably could but it would mean delaying sales until all three trims were perfected.

Why make this announcement now? Well a good fraction of a million people might be interested to have this information if they put down a deposit...
Yeah I can't say I understand. Assuming its all the same vehicle, it's just the dual motor with one less motor (and smaller battery).

It's commonly assumed that q4'19 won't be big enough to allow inclusion, and Tesla have said Q1 will be tough. So in this scenario, inclusion after Q2 will be obvious and there will be a long, slow run-up.
Elon said quarter over quarter revenue increases would be tough for Q1, not that revenue itself would be bad. ( And that was X months ago when GF3 timing was unknown)

Reactions: Nocturnal