Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robinhood and many other apps supports fraction shares now, so unit price is not a problem anymore.
Last I heard SP500 weight is based on share price, not market cap...:confused:
So, better not split to keep it higher, or, even a reverse split to hack the dis-functional system.

Edit:
What I remembered is apparently wrong:
What Does the S&P 500 Index Measure and How Is It Calculated?
SP500 is market cap weighted.
I think you were thinking of the DJIA... AAPL had to split to get into that

Regarding the Dow Jones Industrial Average, it has not had a regular automaker as a component since 2009 when General Motors went bankrupt. The closest to the description would be Caterpillar. Perhaps Tesla is next in the queue. :cool:

ha, poor edit, I originally said something like Elon's personality, but decided to just leave it at Elon and left the apostrophe and s by accident.

They just raised the Model 3 price didn't they?
Yes, and on July 16, 2018 Tesla reduced the price of the Model 3 by $1,000 to $38,990.

For most U.S. wage-earners in the market for a new $40-50K-ish car, their personal tax bracket would likely result in about a $1K net tax savings, given the $1,875 reduction in the tax credit.

Tesla sized the price cut to ease the pain of the halving of the tax credit on July 1st, 2019. Conversly, on Jan 1st, 2020 that final reduction of $1,875 (to zero credit) can be matched by Tesla again likely for less than that.

Tesla has shown continuous increases in production and costs as the Model 3 matures. and a desire to pass on some of those savings with customers. I suspect Model 3 will be just as attractive a deal on Jan 1st as it was on Dec 31st. :D

Cheers!

Pardon the interruption from your regularly-scheduled market actioning, but I believe this is somewhat relevant given the 'service/support/communication is a major investor issue' talk that is trotted out frequently. I have a quick story. Names and specifics have been altered to protect the innocent.

-This AM, <a friend of mine> pulled their Tesla out of the garage. <Piece of the Tesla vehicle> was caught on <piece of item attached to garage wall> and <broke>.
-Much cursing may or may not have occurred.
-<someone that may have been me> submitted a service request on the Tesla app. Picked the first available appointment at the service center--ten days out.
-One hour later, and still well before 9 am local time, the Tesla Virtual Service Team emailed asking for more detail. <Person that may have been me> replied in a few minutes.
-Ten minutes later, Tesla emails again, this time with the diagnosis (side mirror replacement), estimated cost, and an offer of mobile service.
-Another ten minutes later, the mobile service is booked.

Total elapsed time between incident and booking complete: < 90 minutes.
Total wait between incident and the appointment at which the car should be back to golden: one week.
Total phone calls and real-time interpersonal interactions required: 0.

Short of the local service center stocking mirrors for all vehicle models in all colors, this literally could not have been handled better. Well, other than <a friend of mine> setting the car to auto-fold the mirrors at this location prior to today, which configuration item I can neither confirm nor deny has been rectified.
Similar story. I had minor damage to my long range S. Picked a repair shop and had them order parts. The next day I received an email from Tesla acknowledging the order and assigning a case number. Two days after that came an email that parts were shipped with an estimated delivery date.it included a link so I can track the shipment. Tesla service in all things has been amazing for me. Far superior to other car companies I have dealt with. I believe Tesla has solved any service problems.

A year from muddy field to producing a few thousand cars a month. Crazy.
Elon really needs to figure out how to turn the Gigas into big von Neumann machines. Not only build cars but build robots and Grohmanns for more Gigas. THAT might save the planet.

Last edited:
First time ever an FFSC engine took of the ground, a feat not accomplished by russians, nasa or whoever.... astonishing thinking to the first days of SpaceX...

It was a Merlin gas generator, not a Raptor Full Flow Staged Combustion. You can see the exhaust from the generator out to the side of the main flame. Maybe you are thinking of the water tank?

... and there are other threads for this.

With the potential for good news on the horizon I looked back over the past few times the SP went over the BB. It appears typically after the event the stock consolidates and waits for news. In the past the news has not come up all roses. In this case I think the news will be pretty good when it finally does arrive. I know everyone is excited for the "to the moon" rise but it won't hurt if thing settle in a bit.

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 3.59.35 PM.png

Sounds like a recipe for a robot uprising...which probably would save the planet as long as the humans lose that war. :eek:
Well, yes. Saving the planet and continued human dominance may be mutually exclusive. In that case the Gigas will evolve to a different product. We won’t like it.

Ether way, the last time Tesla raised capital, the SP rose quite a bit, no?
Tesla's last Cap raise was on May 3rd 2019. TSLA peaked afterward at around $255 which was a bump up from the $230-240 range it had been trading in before the Cap raise (rising over 4 days to touch the Mid-BB level, then sinking back to the Lower-BB over the next 4 days).

However over the next month the SP continued to slump, fueled by renewed bankwupcy FUD and lingering demand distractions. The SP bottomed out at $178 on June 3rd, a month after the Cap raise:

TSLA.50-DayChart.2019-06-03.20-00.2019-Bottom.png

And were up +114% since June 3rd. Congrats to the Longs who bought the dip. :D

Cheers!

What major parts do you think need stamped?
As this relates to spending to build the factory, it will indeed need stamping. The outer exoskeleton is built from 32x but the INNER parts that hold the doors, and interior spots would probably be stamped. This would probably be less then 1/5 of the metal used, and it would probably be SS but not hardened 32x. Using a more regular SS in specific spots would also be how crumple zones are created.

So, would you say you belong to the Forrest Gump School of Investing?;)
LOL!
No, Forest is way smarter than me.

As for the test drive, he says he has driven a Model S a couple of times. He says "Nice car, but nothing special. Company is a Ponzi scheme. CEO is a crook." Yeah, I still consider him a friend.

Dan

I gotta ask. Has he driven your Model 3 yet? Because from your description of how much stock market research he does, I would think he might have begged a test drive from you by now. :rolleyes: Or that you would have forced him to try it out. :D

Last edited by a moderator: