Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tim Seymour coming up on CNBC Power Lunch. I'm told his afternoon will also include a Power Visit to the restroom.

I don't know where Tim is - he was supposed to be here to explain what's going on with his Tesla short position. It's not like him to be late. Let me see if I can get him on the phone....

CNBC is gonna be pounding the table on valuation every time they talk about Tesla now....which I guess is an upgrade from pounding the table on demand and/or profits. So far their playbook is right out of their Amazon days. Ahh how I remember them daily going after Amazon's valuation, quarter and quarter....only to be smacked in the face with new Amazon highs....quarter after quarter.

By the way, we still haven't officially gotten our ATH close yet (383.45). Though barring some very unexpected events, should wrap that up in an hour and twenty minutes (knock on woodisgood).

Yes, although on 2017 SEP 18 the TSLA close was $385.00. We're well above that now, but as you note we'll have to wait over an hour for confirmation of a record close. :cool:

Tesla Considers Cutting Price of China-Built Cars Next Year

Tesla Inc. is considering cutting the price of its China-built Model 3 sedans by 20% or more next year

Please remove your hats and observe a moment of silence for the competition.

This not only seems like an attempt to ruffle demand, it seems likely an attempt to fabricate dissatisfaction among Chinese consumers, and another round of "look how rude and untrustworthy Elon and Tesla are" in the media.

All that said, I've long wondered why the price of a MIC SR+ to be sold in China is estimated to be the equivalent of ~$50k vs. ~$40k in the US. Anybody know? Does pricing listed in China requires taxes to be included?

fwiw, while I don't know if it's still the case, Tesla's past pricing policy was NOT to do opportunistic pricing in any market as compared to the rest of the world, but, rather price globally, just adjusting for shipping, duties, tariffs, etc. (i.e., offer what's at Tesla's discretion equally to consumers worldwide).

Tesla confirmed they don’t expect MIC 3’s to have higher margins than U.S. With costs slated to be lower, it would seem they’ll have to be reducing prices at some point.

Re $50k price vs. $40k U.S., my understanding was that was partially because that price included the 17% VAT. But I thought subsequently Model 3’s have become exempt from it, so I’m not sure now.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
I don't know where Tim is - he was supposed to be here to explain what's going on with his Tesla short position. It's not like him to be late. Let me see if I can get him on the phone....

Tim, just call in sick the next 3 weeks and take a sabbatical after earnings. Save yourself some face because it has eggs all over it.

Live video feed coming in now from Mr. Speigel's main investment office:
giphy.gif