Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think what's really going on is the shorts are covering because any day now we could get an announcement that Tesla is being added to the S&P 500, which could mean some $10-20 billion would flood into the stock over a 5-day period. It's not a battle the shorts can win, because disinformation and manipulation have no effect on index fund flows.

Wow - what a ride! Congrats and cheers to the longs!

Now, how do you play this? How much further will this go tomorrow and thereafter until all shorts have been forced to cover? When will we see a pullback/consolidation?

Well, all short positions are under water. That could lead to near term covering.
I took a chance on a couple (currently) OTM Friday calls, not advice.

You know, when this first broke out after Q3 earnings, I had asked in this thread about how margin calls on the shorts were going to go, to try to time the market to lock in my gains.

I didn't actually sell anything. FOMO caused me to set my limits too high on my lotto call, and I didn't touch the stock (other than to add).

Yeah.

At $393, I'm glad I didn't sell anything.

I'd like to thank whatever short let me buy 100 shares at $365 on 12/20 from him for $54 bucks a couple months ago. He is paying off my new hot tub.
CNBC is gonna be pounding the table on valuation every time they talk about Tesla now....which I guess is an upgrade from pounding the table on demand and/or profits. So far their playbook is right out of their Amazon days. Ahh how I remember them daily going after Amazon's valuation, quarter and quarter....only to be smacked in the face with new Amazon highs....quarter after quarter.
Already doing damage control.
Capture.JPG

Wow - what a ride! Congrats and cheers to the longs!

Now, how do you play this? How much further will this go tomorrow and thereafter until all shorts have been forced to cover? When will we see a pullback/consolidation?

We are only 2 weeks from delivery report, and onto earning beyond that. I don't see any reason it isn't going to continue to run.

Every shorter is now underwater and many are getting margin calls. As the price continues to climb, new waves of shorts will pile in and if we get another boast, more shorts will be burned.

Well, not EVERY short is underwater. For example, I just initiated a short position a few seconds ag....oh, forget it.

I think what's really going on is the shorts are covering because any day now we could get an announcement that Tesla is being added to the S&P 500, which could mean some $10-20 billion would flood into the stock over a 5-day period. It's not a battle the shorts can win, because disinformation and manipulation have no effect on index fund flows.
I want to explain why I gave you a disagree: S&P 500 inclusion criteria would typically require Tesla to post a ~$900M GAAP profit in Q4. I don't see that happening.

Now, after Q1 earnings, OTOH...

And, there's potential for news to help this thing run further even without that. (Hell, it's doing that on its own without news.)

Not to pile on or anything, but NL+NO+SP is now 90.7% above the prior highest quarter through this point in said quarter. (12,198 vs 6,396). Should this continue through the end of the year, those 3 countries would have about 23,500 deliveries this quarter.

Also, today that triumvirate officially passed Q3, which was the highest prior quarter. 8 delivery days to go, if you don't count weekends or the Christmas holiday.

upload_2019-12-18_12-55-11.png