Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve said this before but short sellers are not liking this action. If you think this is a good time to short this stock and 3 of your shorting buddies that have been in longer have to cover; they are screwing you over. Sooner than later you have to cover and now you are the over excited Tesla stock buyer pushing the price higher and higher.

Unintended acceleration story didn’t stick

oh yea and Q4 earnings look fun for shorts too.

I think shorts are being forced to back off today. They’ll be back but dangerous times for them.

I am hoping that some shorts will think of the latter part of Warren Buffett's "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful"
- after all, having new shorts piling on will keep the mill of margin calls churning, giving us a continued, strong and steady rise.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOVA
I can go ahead and guarantee an ATH today.

Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter

Mark B. Spiegel sez:

My theory re $TSLA is that today is "a trading sardine echo bubble," which all bubbles have. If it takes out last week's high I'll be wrong and it will be "a resumption of the bubble." I upsized at $539 with a stop at the ATH. This is not a legitimate business/company/CEO.

Aaaaand ... gone! :D

giphy (18).gif

Yes, I checked 4 countries for M3 and two for MS, all saying March.

So either demand is very, very strong, or Model Y production is hogging the lines :p Either way it's looking good

Model Y hogging the line is a drag on financials and I don't consider that good news. I am in the camp where I believe Model Y does not interfere with S3X production per what Elon said.

Only time I really did a paella confusion was about 30 years ago in my Ford XR3i (boy-racer, or what!), and this was thumping the brake down thinking it was the clutch, on the highway at 70mph = unintended deceleration event. Fortunately there was nothing behind me or it would have been a big problem.
Wow, ricey dicey! :p Some knee-slapper.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stock trades around $550 going into earnings. $100B market cap strikes me as the kind of number that would act as resistance until we get some material news to move the stock upward from there.

If macros / world events stay calm and we don't learn anything new going into ER (good or bad), I expect the trading to flatten out as people take up their positions and wait.
While I agree there might be some contention around the $100B market cap, I'm a bit dubious of the strength of the resistance. A lot of that resistance might just be shorts trying to deny Elon the first big number in his new agreement.

Perhaps it might make sense (to them) to fight for this to keep such validation out of the press. However, it seems mainly like it would be due to their pathological resentment of the man and I'm not sure they can afford such sentiment these days.

My WAG is that we'll break through $555 before earnings.

That said, I'm long for the long haul and don't wager on the short term behavior of the market.

Not advice.

I am hoping that some shorts will think of the latter part of Warren Buffett's "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful"
- after all, having new shorts piling on will keep the mill of margin calls churning, giving is a continued, strong and steady rise.
I am having trouble believing that new rational shorts (they exist -- right ?) are in the game. After all, I cannot identify a single clear signal that the Q4 ER will be negative. Maybe neutral, but the GF3 is likely to be ramping up like a tornado.

I can understand investors who find TSLA too expensive to take a long position but to short it now ?

Crazy

Since I give them the benefit of doubt I'm a lot more in the camp of institutional investors collecting a TSLA position in anticipation of S&P inclusion. I cannot explain the Ihor numbers of daily short activity, but then again I'm not convinced that the numbers are reliable since the overall fraction of TSLA shares shorted has been dropping steadily, albeit at a rate less than stock appreciation.

- after all, having new shorts piling on will keep the mill of margin calls churning, giving is a continued, strong and steady rise.
Shorts have become a blessing for those who endured their nonsense for years. No doubt new shorts will be coming in along with the old ones, but this run could not have happened this quickly without their help haha they still have plenty of chips in the game. I wish they were forced to play their bets fairly, but they have chosen some dirty tactics. I have no sympathy for them, but as long as Tesla is being valued off their production then I’m in it for the long haul.

all just to appease the dealer groups to make it seem like they tried. That is hilariously convoluted and it makes no sense for Michigan to give up all that tax revenue. Morons.

As the fraction of new car sales in Michigan to Tesla increases, that minor rounding error in tax revenue is going to become a lot harder to lump in as a rounding error :D