Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who da heck is walking her down now?
It has the appearance of manipulative hedge funds or auto/oil interests short-selling to push the price through key levels (ending in 0 or 5) that trigger cascades of stop limits set by weak longs. Weak longs include day-traders who opened their positions in the morning and must close them before the end of the day. This allows short-sellers to cover at significantly lower prices than at the morning high. Much of this has been in sync with moves in the macros, albeit by larger percentages for TSLA.

Institutions that invest for the long term do not trade in such high volume bursts. They do not want to alter the price too much while they are trying to buy or sell.

I would not be surprised to see large up moves continuing in the coming mornings as short sellers respond to margin calls, and possibly more afternoon shenanigans by manipulators. This right up through next week's earnings report and possibly more in the days following. Much depends on the remaining bankrolls and resolve of the manipulators.

Last edited:
Wow! if true (tweet from Third Row Tesla) ...
"The Tesla Dry Battery will change everything. Much higher energy density means a much higher range with the same size pack. The battery lifespan doubles –– you'll probbaly never need to replace it. 16x production capacity at 20% lower cost. It scales to millions."
I'll point out that they posted a follow-up tweet in that thread calling the Maxwell process batteries "solid state", which isn't what I understood the Maxwell tech to enable.

The dry electrode formulation process eliminates the need solvent/drying formation during manufacture, but in either case, the electrode always is dry by the time it's inserted in to the battery casing, along with liquid electrolyte.

A "solid state" battery typically has the connotation of non-liquid electrolyte (gel or solid). I've seen nothing in the Maxwell docs indicating they had that tech, but I could have overlooked something.

If my understanding is correct, it calls in to question the accuracy of their claims...

Some people are content booking 38% growth for the year on Jan 22nd. Can you blame them?

The overall tax burden is high especially in places like California where, depending on your income, you can pay up to About 54% on short term gains. Even long-term gains can be total of up to 37% including Obama tax. I’d rather have that money sitting in Tesla with chance to grow then going to Uncle Sam.

I honestly don’t understand why people sell unless they are in a low tax bracket or think there will be a big drop the future.

Even if I knew the stock would drop $100, it would not make sense for me to sell.

If my understanding is correct, it calls in to question the accuracy of their claims...
there have been many cautionary posts about thirdrowtesla (omar/stevejobsghost). Being a superfan on social media allows you a lot of leeway to be inaccurate with info. He means well, but I would take all of his forward looking claims very carefully.

The overall tax burden is high especially in places like California where, depending on your income, you can pay up to About 54% on short term gains. Even long-term gains can be total of up to 37% including Obama tax. I’d rather have that money sitting in Tesla with chance to grow then going to Uncle Sam.

I honestly don’t understand why people sell unless they are in a low tax bracket or think there will be a big drop the future.

Even if I knew the stock would drop $100, it would not make sense for me to sell.

wait I thought long term cap gains was 15%?