Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found this aggravating for some time as well. I really don't give a sugar about plug-in hybrid sales because they will be going away soon enough. The fact that they need regular oil changes means they should be lumped in with ICE sales!

Do you have a sense of the origin of this tendency to lump PHEV's with BEV's?

I strongly disagree. PHEVs are very similar in that psychologically they require adaptation.
From a psychological standpoint they are closer to BEVs than Fuel Cell cars.
Besides, I know of many people that refer to PHEVs as their gateway drug to BEVs :)

Thats a very common perspective people here in Germany have. Its really sad however they like to believe in the FUD as when you work in the industry you don't want to face the ugly truth. The good news is that more positive news about Tesla are released and people acknowledge what Elon has achieved. Still they don't get why the SP is shooting up ($702 a few minutes ago) and even if I explain I feel like they donÄ' get it.

You need likely to inform you a few hours every day to understand as many people here in the forum are doing.

I said it before and say it again and thats independent from the SP, great forum with many very smart people here. I learned a ton.
Imagine all the raised eyebrows out there right now. Not just in Germany, but all over the world.

Post Super Bowl commercials conclusion; the other automakers have just shown their poker hands, and paid tens of millions of dollars to do so; and what does it turn out that they've been holding? A pair? Two pairs? A lousy straight? LOL, Tesla & TSLA have a Royal Flush, are the new market darlings, and haven't given the advertisers a dime! Oh what an amazing thing it is that we are witnessing!

e-trade-baby.jpg

Random speculation.

There are still around 25 million TSLA shares short, presumably held by hedge funds. (Most retail shorts got squeezed out already I think.)

I think we are now getting to price levels where they'll have to think about capitulating their TSLA short positions - before news like a Moody's upgrade, S&P 500 inclusion or feature-complete FSD further increases the stock price.

I'm wondering whether anyone here has insight into how run of the mill hedge fund managers are acting in such scenarios, of which there must be hundreds still shorting Tesla: is it rule based? Emotion based? Peer pressure? Financing pressure? I doubt there can be much of a collateral squeeze forcing capitulation in a bull market, at most funds.

Of the biggest (known...) shorts, David Einhorn has already effectively capitulated, but Jim Chanos's capitulation is still overdue. That would be rather cataclysmic, similar to the Andrew Left capitulation.
Andrew Left has the capacity to reevaluate his thesis based on facts. Chanos has a firm belief that if facts disprove his thesis that is really too bad for the facts.

Last edited:
I wonder how good the range on the MIC 3's will be since they are using commodity LG Chem and CATL batteries instead of the Tesla/Panasonic proprietary formula.
Do we know they are (or will remain) commodity cells?

Also, I seem remember Elon saying something to the effect of adjusting the # of cells in a Model 3 pack if they use slightly less energy dense cells...