Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AH drop is not insignificant. A barrage of negative news and distortion of the truth is a concerted effort by the media to push TSLA down. We have every right to get upset about this, it has nothing to do with being a “granny investor”.

You say you won’t blink if the stock goes all the way down to $400. Really? A drop of almost 50% would be very upsetting to most of us here. Nobody likes to see hard fought gains evaporate.

Also, such a drop would require a gain of 85% just to get back to where the stock was. Be careful what you wish for.

For those of us who held from 380 to 178 and where we are today, a drop to 400 would be a buying opportunity.

I decided to listen to the Ford Q4'19 earnings call.

I'm halfway through this thing so far, but I think I may have accidentally clicked on the "Ford zero substance PR yada yada call" instead.

If company valuations were solely based on the quality of earnings calls, Tesla's market cap would be 100x Ford's.

From the Ford Q4'19 earnings call:

Adam Jonas: First question for me is Tesla. Stock's worth -- it's kind of a historic day as Tesla's now worth over 5x the market cap of Ford. Jim or Tim or Joe, can you guys understand -- can you -- are you sympathetic to why that is that state of the world? Does it make sense to you? What's the message the market's sending Ford Motor Company?

O M G!

Adam Jonas doesn't know how to be a TSLA analyst anymore, so now he's asking Ford management to do his job for him :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

What a troll, this Adam Jonas guy.

FYI I am debating as pro-coal guy in another forum, I thought some of you might find this interesting..

His argument....

My argument:-

Bah. Point out that coal plants going offline are the reason for grid instability. Hornsdale power reserve (the batteries for the windfarm) was what saved the Australian grid when the Loy Yang coal plant took a dump: Tesla big battery outsmarts lumbering coal units after Loy Yang trips | RenewEconomy

So no, all that inertia is useless when it comes to grid stability. It's old school thinking that is being supplanted.

From the Ford Q4'19 earnings call:

O M G!

Adam Jonas doesn't know how to be a TSLA analyst anymore, so now he's asking Ford management to do his job for him :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

What a troll, this Adam Jonas guy.

Jim Hackett -- President and Chief Executive Officer

...But I think we're much further along in that journey than we were just two years ago when you and I first started talking about it. How do I know that this Mach-E has generated more attention and kind of interest than in recent memory of any kind of product. The kind of searching that's going on about Bronco would amaze you. And so I know that it is really high, given the execution and the kind of improvements that I just mentioned. So let me, let you react to that.

Adam Jonas -- Morgan Stanley -- Analyst

Thank you. No, that's fine, Jim and I think it's -- I appreciate the thoughts and I can't wait to get my Mach-E and my kids really can't wait to see the Mach-E in the garage. One follow-up for me, Jim regarding Volkswagen. Is there any limit to the level of collaboration that you can conceive between you and VW.

LOL! There are no kids who want to see the Mach-E in their garages.

Adam Jonas -- Morgan Stanley -- Analyst

Thank you. No, that's fine, Jim and I think it's -- I appreciate the thoughts and I can't wait to get my Mach-E and my kids really can't wait to see the Mach-E in the garage. One follow-up for me, Jim regarding Volkswagen. Is there any limit to the level of collaboration that you can conceive between you and VW.

LOL! There are no kids who want to see the Mach-E in their garages.

Now we know Jonas knows as much about cars, as he does about stocks...

There has been a data JUMP...

I am not sure why yet, but you can see the chart just turned up...

Also note, we are at the stage when recovery numbers are increasing.

upload_2020-2-12_21-30-43.png

I've seen a lot of hand-wringing about the almost insignificant decline in share price today and after hours. I have to wonder whether the "worriers" even belong in individual stocks, let along one as disruptive and volatile as TSLA. How can you live like that? Please step back from your monitors!

What we saw today (including AH) is nothing. If you are going to be anything but a "granny" investor, you need to change the way you think about money and assets. Either you believe in where you have put your money and made your bets or you don't. Volatility doesn't change that. Especially the little bit we saw today. It's as if some of you believe every day the shares will neatly and predictably be worth slightly more than the previous day and the trading will reflect that fact within 0.5% or something. I would ride this stock down to $400 without batting an eyelash if there had been no fundamental changes. I don't expect that but it wouldn't phase me one bit. Some of you take this so seriously I can't even believe what I'm reading. My advice, get your eyes off your account balances and stop thinking of it as real money. You will never go anywhere if you fret about every dollar as if you're in the market buying your groceries. That's real money, this is not, it's shares in a company, not money! Big difference. Lighten up and enjoy the ride! The only guarantee is that it will be bumpy. I think the "up" days will be far better than the "down" days.

If you want to run with the big dogs, you have to be comfortable peeing in the tall grass.

The AH drop is not insignificant. A barrage of negative news and distortion of the truth is a concerted effort by the media to push TSLA down. We have every right to get upset about this, it has nothing to do with being a “granny investor”.

You say you won’t blink if the stock goes all the way down to $400. Really? A drop of almost 50% would be very upsetting to most of us here. Nobody likes to see hard fought gains evaporate.

Also, such a drop would require a gain of 85% just to get back to where the stock was. Be careful what you wish for.

Yes, but I have plans to turn my account balance INTO "real money" within the next five to ten years. I find it disconcerting that the share price can be driven to arbitrary levels for someone else's gains. I’m holding out the hope that this nonsense stops with S&P inclusion.

I'm with Stealth on this. I don't give a damn what the market thinks is TSLA's value today or next week or next month, and no TSLA long needs to give a damn about it if they hold the stock for several years (and aren't gambling with options). Most of the market is ignorant about Tesla's potential, or else won't admit it because they are FUDsters. Why should we care what they think?

Tesla is self-funding now. Stock dips can't seriously hurt them. The most extraordinary disinformation campaign I've ever seen against a company did not stop Tesla's extraordinary progress last year, and the piddly remnants displayed today certainly won't. Two old car crashes? A proactive recall? A two-percent stock dip after-hours? C'mon, soldiers, these attacks are pathetically weak. The FUDsters have cried wolf too many times. Tesla has sold too many cars that prove to customers every day that the media puppets of Big Oil and Big Auto are full of merde.

So chill out and be grateful for the last few opportunities to accumulate shares at bargain prices. Those opportunities will soon be gone as Tesla starts to dominate several trillion-dollar markets regardless of the blatherings of media and the pathetic little pushdowns of stock manipulators.

View attachment 510714

This seems more likely to be a beaucratic issue than a medical one. Some local leadership was probably fudging the numbers and was forced to stop. I don't think this is a cause for alarm.

View attachment 510714

It's not really a jump. They had ~15k cases which used to be called suspected cases. They didn't have enough test kits to quickly confirm all of them. Now they just categorize these as positive cases, because all of them have the typical symptoms and lung images. It's the right move they should have taken long time ago.

Honda recalls 241,000 minivans over wiring issue that could cause fire

Honda is trading $0.24 up after Hours on this recall. At this rate, if Honda recalls 50 billion more cars, it’s stock might shoot up to be worth half as much as Tesla.

Ford issues recall for 226,000 Ford and Lincoln vehicles

Ford is trading down 4 cents today on this news, the market is showing symptoms of bipolarisn.

More Ford for Adam Jonas today:

Ford recalls over 240,000 vehicles to fix suspension problem

just 1 hour ago:

Hyundai, Fiat, BMW, Volkswagen and others to recall 494,720 vehicles in Korea - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea

9 hours ago:

Hyundai recalls 430,000 Elantra models for suddenly catching fire - Roadshow

Last edited:
For those of us who held from 380 to 178 and where we are today, a drop to 400 would be a buying opportunity.

I agree... the retail investor that went through this period has been hardened into a very resilient long.

For me, owning and using the product daily has shown me the value of understanding where the company is headed from first hand experience. I am referring to the software updates, improvements in NOA, and the repeated good service experiences, for 2 cars.

Q.

The NASDAQ and SEC should know exactly who dumped 2 million shares 13 minutes before closing last Tuesday. Why don't they act to stop it? Is it legal to "Cramer" a stock?

Honda recalls 241,000 minivans over wiring issue that could cause fire

Honda is trading $0.24 up after Hours on this recall. At this rate, if Honda recalls 50 billion more cars, it’s stock might shoot up to be worth half as much as Tesla.

Ford issues recall for 226,000 Ford and Lincoln vehicles

Ford is trading down 4 cents today on this news, the market is showing symptoms of bipolarisn.

More Ford for Adam Jonas today:

Ford recalls over 240,000 vehicles to fix suspension problem

I think nobody who owns Ford or Honda has a clue about investing.

Tesla investors know teslas a winning bet, but some are likely skiddish of downward price moves because of all the volatility in Tesla. Tesla investors are passionate people. Not like there is a Ford motors club investors forum with 100000+ posts a year. There's no way anyone who has money in Ford understands long term investing.

I've seen a lot of hand-wringing about the almost insignificant decline in share price today and after hours. I have to wonder whether the "worriers" even belong in individual stocks, let along one as disruptive and volatile as TSLA. How can you live like that? Please step back from your monitors!

What we saw today (including AH) is nothing. If you are going to be anything but a "granny" investor, you need to change the way you think about money and assets. Either you believe in where you have put your money and made your bets or you don't. Volatility doesn't change that. Especially the little bit we saw today. It's as if some of you believe every day the shares will neatly and predictably be worth slightly more than the previous day and the trading will reflect that fact within 0.5% or something. I would ride this stock down to $400 without batting an eyelash if there had been no fundamental changes. I don't expect that but it wouldn't phase me one bit. Some of you take this so seriously I can't even believe what I'm reading. My advice, get your eyes off your account balances and stop thinking of it as real money. You will never go anywhere if you fret about every dollar as if you're in the market buying your groceries. That's real money, this is not, it's shares in a company, not money! Big difference. Lighten up and enjoy the ride! The only guarantee is that it will be bumpy. I think the "up" days will be far better than the "down" days.

If you want to run with the big dogs, you have to be comfortable peeing in the tall grass.

I had to summarize your post a bit, I hope you don't mind. ;)

"You have to risk big to win big!"

"Scared money don't make money!"

I think that just about sums it up. And yeah, I agree. I didn't YOLO my way to my recent gains on TSLA calls by being afraid it was going to drop any second now and I would lose it all. It was a good lesson for me and it opened my eyes about taking advantage of opportunities when I saw them develop. Also, I learned that momentum trading can be a real thing, haha.

Furthermore, engineered dips like this drive IV downwards, so they have very good uses for people who are looking to play the options.

Last edited:

View attachment 510714[/QUOTE

That could explain it.

"Widened definition: The spike in numbers is partly down to a broader definition of what constitutes a confirmed case, to include people diagnosed on the basis of their symptoms rather than testing positive."

Yesterday an expert interview it here in Germany called it a more severe but normal flow only dangerous for older people with complications.

In the meantime the Chief of CP in that proving has been fired.

I wonder why Ford is afraid to launch the Mach E in the US first?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Coming To Europe First, Then America

same with Mercedes:

Mercedes Delays EQC Electric SUV Launch By A Year In U.S.
It's because they need every EV sale the can get in the EU to avoid as much of the ICE penalties as possible.

I don't think many has taken into consideration that the EU regulations will (continue) to give Tesla most of the US EV market. Even if the ICE manufacturers can make a significant number of EVs most of them will go to the EU.

I expect Teslas market share in the US to go up this year.

I really respected and admired both of them but if alll they can do is protect their egos at this point... they too can f-off

changed my avatar out of respect for the old world men munger and buffet

And a bit more Neil Peart love for those unfamiliar with the matter :)

Last edited: