Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even Spiegel thinks the recall is a big nothing burger in terms of shorting TSLA.

Of course there are “a million other reasons”.

giphy.gif

FYI I am debating as pro-coal guy in another forum, I thought some of you might find this interesting..

His argument....

The grid needs voltage and frequency control, it also needs both voltage and frequency inertia for starters.

My argument:-

For frequency and voltage control we have thousands of inverters exporting at grid frequency, unless I am missing something that should help... similarly for voltage, we have thousands of smart inverters fine tuning voltage in the areas where they are operating...

For frequency intertia battery can make a contribution, but keep in mind we will also have some pumped hydro and likely gas for some time... we can and should run pumped hydro as synchronous condensers.

But if we step back a bit... Why do we need these things?

It is because FF plant can fall over at anytime in a screaming heap in an entirely unpredictable fashion...

With RE individual plant failure is very unlikely, and if it does happen will only affects a small percentage of operating plants...

What can happen with RE is changes in weather can effect export for a large group of generators.... but we do have weather tracking radar and can generally predict the weather in the next 4-6 hours with reasonable accuracy... If we spin up gas slightly early solar inverters automatically back off and we have a gradual phased transition with batteries retaining a bit more charge.

I can't see why this combination does not maintain voltage and frequency much better than a traditional grid, and in a much more robust fashion.

It seems what Buffet and by extension, BH, is good at: accessing and evaluating mountains of data, is no longer their moat in this age of computers. Their philosophy simply does not provide for predicting the future.
I do admire his Munger's thought process and I did arrive to a different conclusion.
Bought some stock at 158, sold at 258, bought model S, decided that EV is the future, doubled-down. It would not have happened if I was cheap and was hunting for hail-damaged GM products for a discount. I am sure if Charlie owned a Tesla, he'd get curious about it.
BH recognize their limits and they stay within these (IBM investment debacle) . I think BYD play was a general: world needs batteries play + invest with Politburo play, not necessarily EV-centered. (Correct me if i am wrong).

Understanding of software + physics is a must to get Elon and buy in early. Every member of Church of First Principles knows that!

Hahaha, time to sell some puts / buy back some calls. Hilarious.

On another note: if anyone has a recommendation for a tax professional familiar with the wash-sale rule as it pertains to the writing of call options (or authoritative online resources), I am seriously looking. Local inquiries are thus far coming up short. (paging @jbcarioca @EVNow )

I'm amazed that someone calling themselves a "tax professional" wouldn't already be familiar with "wash" rules surrounding sales of stock options. It's not exactly an esoteric tax topic. The older I get the more disappointed I am with the knowledge of typical professionals in a wide swath of professions.

In July 2019 Elon’s Gulfstream landed in Laramie WY. At the time my theory was he was acquiring a mine. Now I think he probably drove 2 hours south to Louisville CO to get some battery tech/talent.
Highly unlikely. For that, he would have landed at Rocky Mtn Metro airport, less than a 10 minute drive to said talent.

I'm amazed that someone calling themselves a "tax professional" wouldn't already be familiar with "wash" rules surrounding sales of stock options. It's not exactly an esoteric tax topic. The older I get the more disappointed I am with the knowledge of typical professionals in a wide swath of professions.

I ended up finding someone with whom I'm comfortable. Not cheap, but I'll feel well represented.

Reactions: Eugene Ash

To be fair, I understand that wash rules concerning options are a particularly muddy topic that is not well defined within US tax law (what counts as "substantially similar", for example).

Correct. There is a lack of clarity around the meaning of the term "substantially similar".

AFAIK, the standard technique of doubling up a position (e.g. buying a new set of similar calls or spreads), then selling the original position after 30 days and keeping the newly-bought one, should eliminate any ambiguity as to whether something is a wash (you could hedge the extra delta, or take advantage of the wash rule to wash the current loss into low-value very-far-OTM options). I know that's done with stock, at least (wash the stock to one or more cheap way-OTM calls, rebuy the stock, wait >30 days, then sell the calls that carry the loss). But I'm not a tax accountant! :)

Last edited:
To be fair, I understand that wash rules concerning options are a particularly muddy topic that is not well defined within US tax law (what counts as "substantially similar", for example).

The entire U.S. tax code is that way (requires subjective interpretation). That's what tax professionals do. And I want one that errs on the side of being conservative.

After-action Report: Wed, Feb 12, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

I was just thinking @Artful Dodger - if you've got a good way to produce these After Action Reports daily, these might be good additions to the daily Papafox thread. It's easy to miss 'em here in the big thread (it's easy to miss any individual post here in the big thread).​

Elon said at one point the shares was higher than they deserved.

Elon Musk calls Tesla's stock overvalued; shares drop
He indeed said that the shares were higher than they have reserved. He never said that the stock was overvalued. That is not the same, and the credit for that belongs to the journalist and not to Elon. While the difference might seem subtle it is not.