Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CaptainTesla on Twitter

upload_2020-2-17_14-19-36.png

I did read an article indicating Chinese EVs would be exempt. It will be interesting to see if that applies to Tesla, a U.S. based company with a factory in China as opposed to a Chinese EV manufacturer like BYD or NIU.

In some of his videos in Thailand, Bjorn Nyland spoke with Thai EV owners and they generally said they imported from Hong Kong, and maybe one from the UK.

But, Thailand has 0% tariff on cars from China, so the MG is currently by far the cheapest, and if the Shanghai factory makes RHD cars it could export to Thailand and be extremely competitive.

Although if anyone asks these nutters what's up with the blue bag, they'll probably argue they're recycling an old, used bag (not theirs originally), because using organic cotton bags would hurt Mother Nature! Once something is planted in the ground it should stay there forever, and humans should never harvest it!!!11!!!1 The rest of the world is just so weak for not yet mastering the art of living off air and water alone!

Lets do a thought experiment. Lets say I make some break through, potential 2000mi car on paper because I developed in a small scale a battery that is 5x denser than Tesla's.

Step 1.

Scale it up, hook a bunch together and see if it'll explode

Step 2.

See if it'll explode under extreme stress

Step 3.

See if it'll explode after the wheels turning at high speed for 1000 miles

Step 4.

See if it'll explode after 300k miles

Step 5.

See if it'll explode if we charge it at crazy speed in extreme temperatures.

See where I'm going with this? Validation for safety will take YEARS. Then there's the question of scaling it up at an adequate cost. This is not one of those things where Tesla is blind sided by some secret battery tech that has been validated for the past 10 years ready for mass production. Elon has a team always searching for the next breakthrough with safety and scalability in mind. I have confidence in Maxwell because they have clearly demonstrated this to Musk with a high probable path to higher density and scalability while the rest you read in science journals fell short.

You raise very good points in your thought experiment. Let me add just one more to it:

If you have all this wonderful breakthrough battery technology, then what is the best business case to monetize it ? Who would you target to sell this battery to ?
Maybe the largest consumer of batteries in the world, a company that is growing exponentially their use of batteries year-over-year would make the most sense! Yep, that is Tesla.

I did read an article indicating Chinese EVs would be exempt. It will be interesting to see if that applies to Tesla, a U.S. based company with a factory in China as opposed to a Chinese EV manufacturer like BYD or NIU.
It would make sense (although I don't have specific info on it) that the tax exemption applies to EVs manufactured in -- and imported from -- China. MIC Model 3s are exactly that: manufactured in China using a Chinese workforce.

This makes me wonder how many other countries in the region have preferential trade agreements with China, and thus how wide is Tesla's access to that free or low import tax trade. Of course, this may not come into play for a while as the demand for the MIC Model 3s in mainland China will outpace production levels for quite some time.

Agreed. And it offers us one of the very few opportunities to verify that @KarenRei & @Fact Checking aren't actually Artificial Intelligences.

Data, from Star Trek, TNG: "Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing."

YEESSS. I mostly come to this thread for the petty bickering. It's the best.

This is not embarrasing. This will pass,the factory will be built, and cars will be produced. Whats embarrassing is the amount of graffiti in Berlin and Germany. Breaks my heart.

Huh. I love our graffiti in Reykjavík. That said, most of it is graffiti-art, rather than simple tagging.

reykjavík graffiti - Google Search

upload_2020-2-17_14-56-31.png

Be proud of your lively democracy! I wouldn’t want to trade places with the Chinese, however quick they are at building factories. Priorities.

I am proud of our lively democracy! :)
but a lot of people (maybe the most) protesting against Tesla in Germany are far-far-left or far-far-right or climate deniers, and that is something I'm not really proud of.
Strange that some "fridaysforfuture" twitter accounts like that tweet

An article in the Norwegian Busines Mag DN.no describe how a hedgefund made a healthy profit going long in TSLA - and Viking Global Investors belive it will continue:

Tesla has been going 30 times since the IPO almost ten years ago. Hedge fund manager Ole Andreas Halvorsen believes the upturn continues, and for the first time goes into the Tesla share.​

Source in Norwegian: https://www.dn.no/bors/tesla/ole-an...k-hedgefondlegende-satser-pa-tesla/2-1-757280

Falcon 9 stage 1 missed the landing on the drone ship :( Looks like it touched down just to the right of the camera, as you could see mist getting kicked up, then a minute later the camera got splashed.

Will be interesting to learn what went wrong.

They lost the communications downlink during the entry burn. I wonder if that is related to the landing failure. I noticed some smoke to the right side of the screen around the time of the landing burn starting, and then water droplets on the camera. I have a feeling stage one had a location coordination problem with the droneship.

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Falcon 9 stage 1 missed the landing on the drone ship :(

Will be interesting to learn why.

It's funny how shocking it is when you hear/see that they actually missed a landing now.

I'm definitely interested as well to figure out why; it seemed like it wasn't even close this time, but the broadcaster didn't provide any indication even moments before the attempted landing that there was anything wrong.