Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My weekly $880s and $900s are toast but I’m calling it even after picking up a bunch of shares in the $790s.

Pah, I'm sitting on a Friday $850 put (which I should have rebought earlier, but I was in a meeting!!!!) and my cash is reserved against that, so I can't buy. Will see how it plays out... This could reverse very quickly indeed.

Last edited:
Wondering if bouncing off the Lower BB (Nasdaq) will be the end of this dip. Kinda close enough - BB at 9055 Nasdaq hit 9070
Gotta say.... the whole "be greedy when others are fearful" forgot to mention one's own fear. Up leveraging these last two days was definitely not the most fun but so far this call looks promising!

PS what's taking Moody's so long!!

Pah, I'm sitting on a Friday $850 put (which I should have rebought earlier, but I was in a meeting!!!!) and my wash is reserved against that, so I can't buy. Will see how it plays out... This could reverse very quickly indeed.
NTSB comes out and says the issue wasn't Tesla's fault and Media picks up Model Y deliveries could cause a jump.

The virus is overshadowing everything IMO, but I'm seeing lots of promising stories of possible vaccines and remediation medicines as well. My Genprex and MRNA stocks are up a bit. Gilead is down a little but hoping for a bump. News from Vietnam is that all 16 infected people are cured which is a small chunk of total infections but highlights low death rate and how spread can be limited.

Just a word of caution to anyone considering timing the market without a tax-advantaged trading account. This was my morning exercise to avoid looking at the ticker while I don't have any spare cash to buy this dip:

sell_tsla.png

All of my shares would currently fall subject to a short-term capital gains tax rate. My tax situation is such that I would need to be such a master at timing the market as to anticipate a 19% (roughly 150 point) drop before I would break even with a sale and repurchase.

Has anybody seen any mainstream media outlet report on the Model Y delivery emails going out to reservation holders? It seems to be flying under the radar so far...

That would be factually useful information for INVESTORs i.e. actual holders of shares and that is not what their Hedgefund masters have in mind.:cool:

Fire Away!
(it's the batteries, Stupid!)

Has anybody seen any mainstream media outlet report on the Model Y delivery emails going out to reservation holders? It seems to be flying under the radar so far...
I'm expecting small Y deliveries in Q1 so it may not be all that newsworthy at this point. Great for potential owners though. Hopefully a lot of positive reviews will start coming out in late March which will be good for the company overall.

I wonder how much effort it would take Tesla to adapt their code to operate the ID.3. I'm sure they have better things to do than to bail out VW, but imagine the opportunity to become the operating software provider of the EV industry.
The same amount of effort I spent to edit my wife's papers. We're still married, but it was pretty close.

NTSB comes out and says the issue wasn't Tesla's fault and Media picks up Model Y deliveries could cause a jump.

The virus is overshadowing everything IMO, but I'm seeing lots of promising stories of possible vaccines and remediation medicines as well. My Genprex and MRNA stocks are up a bit. Gilead is down a little but hoping for a bump. News from Vietnam is that all 16 infected people are cured which is a small chunk of total infections but highlights low death rate and how spread can be limited.
Vietnam has a very aggressive quarantine strategy. They quarantine patients and family members (hospital), first contacts (military base) and second contacts (home, self quarantine). They were also the first country to eradicate SARS due to very effective quarantines.

Just a word of caution to anyone considering timing the market without a tax-advantaged trading account. This was my morning exercise to avoid looking at the ticker while I don't have any spare cash to buy this dip:

View attachment 515048

All of my shares would currently fall subject to a short-term capital gains tax rate. My tax situation is such that I would need to be such a master at timing the market as to anticipate a 19% (roughly 150 point) drop before I would break even with a sale and repurchase.
These calculations make it easier to hold. Also, riding down to sub $180 makes this price action a cake-walk.

BTW., there's one interesting detail - @Prunesquallor's model shows FCA payments of €2.1b in 2021:

figure-1-png.478294

But JATO Dynamics last year published a study that estimated €3.2b penalties for FCA:

4-2.jpg

I haven't found the 2020 estimates of JATO, but if we assume that the difference between the models resulting in €3.2b vs. €2.1b is linear, then the extrapolated JATO result for 2020 would be 3.2/2.1*1.7 = €2.6b - which would increase the value of the Tesla emissions reductions from €518m to around €790m.

The €380m estimated recovery would be roughly 48% of the penalty reduction - which would also be in line with the game theory outcome of 50%. This all is imprecise to about 5%, so 50% is within the margin of error - assuming the JATO figures are the right ones.
The differences between €2.1B and €3.2B is simply due to input assumptions. My references said FCA EU sales were 698,000 not 961,000 and required CO2 reductions are 32 not 35.5. I cannot account for where JATOs assumptions came from. In either case, sales x CO2 delta x 95 = penalty.