Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think secretly Alameda County officials are fine with Tesla breaking their order. It's not like they want people to be unemployed, and now if things get bad with Covid-19 they can blame Tesla.

Right, its the perfect compromise "We warned them, but you know, we couldn't stop them!"

That's exactly how the public-private sector relationship should be phrased, for almost everything!

Science is validly questioned by those who understand it. Elon is no more entitled to question the Science of Epidemiology and the initial conclusions of the world’s leading Epidemiologists, than you are to question the Science of Quantum Dynamics.

Do you believe you are entitled to question the science of Quantum Dynamics?
Inherent in science is questioning. Were it not so there would be little human progress. Knowing that provides more confidence in science because a scientist will change opinion when faced with new evidence. Sadly you must not understand that almost everything about Quantum Dynamics is constantly questioned. As for epidemiology, the most basic principles remain fairly constant, but nearly every communicable disease changes and human behavior also changes. As a direct consequence scientific conclusions also change.

Science is NOT static. Every person who seriously examines a subject can legitimately question. Most questions will be refuted, but validation and evolution are desirable outcomes. Note : 'seriously examined'. Integrity is required and integrity cannot be achieved superficially.

In this thread and elsewhere opinions and ideas are constantly challenged. The people who do that seriously are contributors. Those who do so superficially are wasting space. I have done the latter from time to time and have been deservedly castigated. I have from time to time tried to do the former and have sometimes been applauded. This is not an easy crowd, perhaps because many are scientists.

Science is validly questioned by those who understand it. Elon is no more entitled to question the Science of Epidemiology and the initial conclusions of the world’s leading Epidemiologists, than you are to question the Science of Quantum Dynamics.

Some of the naming conventions I question.
Other than that, its spot on.

One of the things inherent to the science surrounding COVID is that it evolves incredibly quickly, and is based on much noisier data than you normally get in even the medical sciences, and especially physics. This is a textbook example of a high uncertainty environment.

Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is very well understood descriptively, because it's phenomena have been measured with ridiculous accuracy for the past 100 years. Also, we know that QM works, because if it didn't the device you wrote this comment on wouldn't function, ie. it's easily verifiable by the general public.

In my view, comparing the two is disingenuous, regardless of what your opinions are on COVID.

Is it? There's quite a few people (perhaps less vocal than most here) that are less than enthusiastic about Elon's lack of tact.

There are better ways to expand your market without alienating a significant portion of your customer base in the middle of a pandemic.
I think it will also make sense to rename 'electric car revolution' to a more polite 'car diversity initiative' and also reduce Tesla annual growth from 40-50% to a more politically correct 4-5% so it doesn't offend anyone, make anyone upset or even fired.

If anyone needs a good laugh, Bob Putz is still around with his ridiculous Tesla bashing. Starts at 45:00

Spooky!

upload_2020-5-11_17-10-13.png

I think secretly Alameda County officials are fine with Tesla breaking their order. It's not like they want people to be unemployed, and now if things get bad with Covid-19 they can blame Tesla. Especially now that Tesla is threatening to leave, it's very easy for them to throw up their hands and say we tried our best, but we can't stop them. I don't expect there to be any fight at all - this was a brilliant move from Elon who is earning every penny of his pay package. If anything they'll make a few minor changed to Tesla's safety plan so they can save face.

Once they change Tesla's safety plan, they own it. And they can no longer blame Tesla is there are any hiccups. It will be interesting to see how they respond to this.

Some of the naming conventions I question.
Other than that, its spot on.

I would say Elon questioning Covid specific epidemiology is ok, although I'm not fully aligned with his methods. Questioning Epidemiology in general would be wrong, but questioning the fast changing understanding of Covid seems more reasonable.

I also stick to my original sentiment that the Federal Gov't will never, under Trump, come out with an effective testing and tracing protocol. It therefore falls to state and local governments to develop quantifiable protocols. If they too are not competent to roll out these protocols, they need to depend on the private sector to do this, or they need to get out of the way. The obvious best option would be for the Federal government to have standard CDC reopening guidelines and provide manpower and systems support to deploy testing and tracing. In the absence of science and data, our losses will be higher and the economy will not bounce back as well, but that is not on Elon and he appears to be doing as much or more than the rest of the auto industry.

Well I suppose EM should have never questioned the experts in auto industry and aerospace industry.

Everyone let's pack up, tesla and spacex are not supposed to exist to begin with.

It is one thing for rational criticism of experts, another entirely for ignorant morons to float conspiracy theories.

Nobody suggested that ignorant morons float conspiracy theories. The point under discussion was whether someone with fewer credentials in an area should ever dare to question the supposed "experts". I say the answer is an unqualified "yes". It's possible they will end up looking like ignorant morons but when everyone is afraid to question authority, bad things happen.

One of the things inherent to the science surrounding COVID is that it evolves incredibly quickly, and is based on much noisier data than you normally get in even the medical sciences, and especially physics. This is a textbook example of a high uncertainty environment.

Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is very well understood descriptively, because it's phenomena have been measured with ridiculous accuracy for the past 100 years. Also, we know that QM works, because if it didn't the device you wrote this comment on wouldn't function, ie. it's easily verifiable by the general public.

In my view, comparing the two is disingenuous, regardless of what your opinions are on COVID.

Physics is much easier than biology, at least for engineers.

I agree with most of that but quantum mechanics is very well understood? o_O

Did I miss a Tweet? :confused:

Because you are arguing that Elon's tweets don't help Tesla. I would argue long-term TSLA shareholders will become increasingly monetarily richer, in part, because of Elon's tweets, not in spite of Elon's tweets.:p

Nah.

I know that. You know that. The person I was replying to doesn’t know that. I was responding to them at a level they might begin to understand because they’re entirely convinced his tweets are Tesla destructive.

Are shorts aware how screwed they are?
- beginning of June we will have a new factory announcement
- Battery Day at similar time
- 200% increase in Model 3 China sales
- Fremont is back
- investors and analyst have given their blessing for Tesla to have a bad Q2.
- SpaceX keeps being awesome
- Musk will be proven right
- plaid powertrain later this year
- Q3,4 surge
-Berlin, Texas, solar, battery storage.

I agree with most of that but quantum mechanics is very well understood? o_O

It's well understood descriptively, ie we can make very accurate predictions of what will happen in a quantum system based on our existing theories. The interpretations of QM, or what the equations "actually mean", are highly contentious, and I don't expect that will change anytime soon.

Reactions: Prunesquallor