Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent stock performance today so far!

Got to wonder if there is a heavy hitter building a big stake (China?)

Someone(s) executed $26M worth of block trades per WSJ money flow indicator. There have a number of block trade buys executed on TSLA in recent days, as seen in my post history.

Last edited:
I actually hope they don't announce pricing at the event. There's no point in backing themselves into a corner for price when it's 1 year away from mass production. I also do not think they'll do reservations this time. Partially because it becomes a focus for investors and FUD that is a distraction and also because they do not need the cash reserves anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: GOVA

You are a freaking hero. The responses by CR were remarkably flaccid. "I'm sorry but your question is too well prepared, I was only expecting unprepared questions."

And the best part: CR puts out tweets and special releases regarding the Model 3. Then in the AMA asks whether you have questions about anything other than Tesla.

You can't have it both ways, CR. If you single out a brand or model, be prepared to face a lot of questions regarding that one brand or model.

I get Ross Gerber goes on these shows to promote his brand/fund, but why does he always have to express the theme of ousting Elon?

Yes, Elon tweets. Yes it is a love hate relationship for actual investors on the daily stock move roller coaster. I get it.

But to feed into the short hedge narrative is anything but what the actual truth and hard reality is and, as an knowledgeable and informed investor, should promote as his position and his brand on news broadcasts.

The reality:

Tesla vehicles have had massive growth, the big three and euros in America are struggling with negative growth. They are expanding globally to massive international demand.

Reported California BMW directly links sagging sales due to Tesla’s dominance.

Tesla owns ev market with massive share of market. Where is the Tesla killing BMWi3 that all the short hedges said was the end of Tesla? Jaguar? Audi? Audi said they underestimated the battery costs and Tesla’s ability to be so cost effective.

The scariest part is that when Tesla offers ~35k base model the addressable market open 5x bigger. Along with Model y, Semi, and all the energy products... Tesla is only beginning and everyone esle’s hubris has left them on the back foot for probably the next decade.

Now, where is chanos and the rest of the perpetual Apocalypse oracles that continue to come up short and disappoint the extremist following of shorts?

They are running to their calculators and coming up with new doomsday predictions to keep the great scare alive so the faithful will be satiated until the next disappointment of no end of the Tesla world.

The deep pockets that want to stop progress will continue to spend all their cash on their broken record efforts and eventually lead to catastrophic ruin or eventually they catch on and start from scratch much leaner and back to their roots of actual competive spirit of innovation and giving consumers great products they want.

My hope is that Tesla never forgets these days and also maintains the innovative forward looking culture that enabled them to break the palace walls of mediocrity, monolpoy, malaise of the crowned dinosaurs of the auto and energy industry.

Last edited:
Throwing in an order for $350 Sep calls hoping for execution on any big SP dip this week. Fingers crossed.

If today didn't spook any institutional investors, then nothing will. Lets get this bond payment in the rear-view and squeeeeeze up all summer!

anyone who's going to be spooked by twitter drama and nonsense is long gone. anyone willing to look at the numbers is salivating.

With the SEC's FUD having backfired,
Jennifer Sensiba on Twitter
I wonder if any of you can help locate that excellent collection of suspicious market action that happened just before the original 420 SEC announcement. I believe one of our more diligent members posted it - was it @Fact Checking ? - and it was highly likely somehow the SEC action leaked before it was announced and someone made out big time on it.
It could be worth tweeting it to the reporter - happy to help with that, just not sure I can find that post.

EDIT: never mind, found it! It was actually @Papafox who even penned an article at Cleantechnica on the constant SEC leaks and "interesting" market action around them.

Last edited:
Here was my contribution to the “ask Consumer Reports” reddit thread. I took a different tack because the M3 de-recommendation was covered so fabulously well by KarenRei (on Reddit I am “CodgerZone”):
——————-

I have been a CR subscriber for years and read your reviews, especially on cars. I have had a Honda Civic, Ford Explorer, Toyota Prius, Subaru Outback. I now own a Tesla Model S and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Here is my comment: I would like to see you do a better job integrating electric vehicles (EVs), especially battery electric vehicles (BEVs) like Tesla and Nissan Leaf into your car ratings. My impressions:

1. ⁠When comparing a BEV to hybrid or traditional gasoline vehicle, I believe you should include an explicit reliability “bonus” of some kind for BEVs, because of the decreased complexity from having electric motors that run only on demand, a very very simple transmission, no fuel tank and delivery system, etc etc. I can find nothing on your website that shows that to be the case. We could argue about the amount of that bonus, and it has to be estimated while we have more data, but it just has to be real and significant. Just a tiny example: my Tesla maintenance recommends changing the lubricant in the transmission gearbox once every 12 years or 120k miles. Under reliability I see engine and transmission, same categories regardless of whether ICE/EV/BEV, and no rating comparisons. Please fix this.

2 I took some of the “YouTest” quizzes and educational pieces on cars. I can find none that talk about EVs or even allow for the context. Stuff like “how often should you change your oil” should remind you that not having to do this is an advantage of an EV. “What cars have highest mileage” is a good one because it surprises with a pickup that is very efficient, BUT where is the inclusion and comparison with BEVs? How about some quizzes about regenerative braking, home charging vs on-the-road?

3. I can find no way on your website to compare reliability of a BEV with an ICE car. Let’s take the recent example of Tesla Model 3. The reliability detail page for Tesla Model 3 (not CR recommended) vs a CR recommended car shows hardly any difference. Words about paint chips and panel gaps in some accompanying text are not enough, and besides those are delivery issues not reliability. The reliability detail pages themselves are almost identical to other cars that are recommended. If there are good reasons, they are way to well-hidden.

Thanks for reaching out to us, and please stay relevant by rating BEV ratings on an equal footing with ICE vehicles, and this means awarding BEVs the reliability advantage out of the gate of a lot fewer moving parts.

And in support of @KarenRei comments about M3 paint/finish feedback being over-reported likely because of the over-hyped reporting by the press (I posted to Reddit as “CodgerZone”):

————-
I should add as reinforcement of Karen’s point, that when I took delivery of my Model S last fall I drove it directly to a high-end detailing shop for a once-over that started with, of course, PAINT CORRECTION, which they explained to me every single brand new car from anyone will need, period. Of course if there were scratches requiring repaint I would have either caught them at delivery or taken the car back to Tesla service, but I did not need to. I believe Karen is correct that many people have been alerted to some early complaints about M3 paint to the point where they have applied higher standards than they would to other vehicles, and that indeed may have skewed your data. Also the data should be mined if at all remotely possible for changes over the last 6 months, especially since the “delivery hell” of 3Q2018, and any positive or negative trends found taken into account for the conclusion.

Caesar disciplined himself so far as to be able to dictate letters from on horseback, and to give directions to two who took notes at the same time, or as Oppius says, to more.
— Plutarch, "Lives" (New York, 1905), IV, p. 274.

We are told that [Caesar] used to write or read, and dictate or listen simultaneously, and to dictate to his secretaries four letters at once, on his important affairs — or, if otherwise unoccupied, seven letters at once.
— Pliny, "Natural History" (Cambridge, 1961), II, p. 565.

Heh. History in the reddits. Good the see such well-qualified remedial action that may just somewhat baffle the modern scribe.

Last edited:
I think until there is a Model 3 for sale for 35k $ it would be problematic for him to reveal a Model Y together with pricing.

So I am not holding my breath for a Model Y reveal.
Have to agree, sadly. That said... if Elon follows your reasoning and delivers a few $35,000 Model 3's first, it will look good from a business integrity and "keeping cool-headed" sort of perspective.

Caesar disciplined himself so far as to be able to dictate letters from on horseback, and to give directions to two who took notes at the same time, or as Oppius says, to more.
— Plutarch, "Lives" (New York, 1905), IV, p. 274.

We are told that [Caesar] used to write or read, and dictate or listen simultaneously, and to dictate to his secretaries four letters at once, on his important affairs — or, if otherwise unoccupied, seven letters at once.
— Pliny, "Natural History" (Cambridge, 1961), II, p. 565.

Heh. History in the reddits.

god i wish i could attend 4 meetings at once and be hailed as a genius for it.

The long running FUD saga has “jumped the shark”. The SEC look ridiculous. CR look ridiculous. Anybody bleating about bond repayment looks ridiculous. Journalists with blatant anti Tesla bias look ridiculous.

Everything has been thrown at TSLA. It’s taken a beating, but there’s a growing core of investors who understand the game being played, for whom the FUD is as transparent as glass. They will not be drawn to sell on any 24 hour news hype, knowing the bounce will come.

Looking forward to the rest of 2019. Onwards and upwards.