Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if you're on margin (which you must be or you wouldn't have received that email), you can actually buy MORE Tesla by, for example, buying some ARKK (or something) to get back below 80%, getting the lower margin rate back, and then buying Tesla again. There are two ways to do that... (1) sell some Tesla to fund the purchase, or (2) call them, tell them that you're going to diversify, and get the margin rate adjusted back down first. So I still say, "Call them." Anyway, you need to do that to confirm that is why they adjusted the margin rate, since there are other possibilities.

Very informative thank you for your suggestions! I’m at 67% margin equity which to me means I’m not over their limit, they are just warning me perhaps... I’ll call them!

You can check out the latest Chinese EVs here:-.Tesla BEV Competition Developments

I admit it did cause me to wonder where the Chinese will be in 3-5 years time.

But then I remembered Battery Day is coming.

Tesla's ability to continue to grow market share is not founded on the absence of competition, the foundations are:-
  • Brand image
  • Continuous Rapid Innovation
  • Manufacturing Efficiency and Innovation
  • Rapid and efficient scaling of additional production capacity
  • Price reductions particularly in battery packs.
  • Accelerating replacement of ICE sales with EV sales.
The Chinese getting a slice of the pie seems logical and inevitable.

Already the best of their EVs are at least worthy on comparing to a Model 3/Y, those are still 3-5 years behind, in some areas.
But you can bet the Chinese have tear down reports on a Model Y, and they will buy vehicles to tear down and reverse engineer.
They will do the same for Plaid Model S and Cybertruck.

In fact if Tesla ever stops innovating, the Chinese will probably catch up in 3-5 years time, but we know that will not happen.
However, I do think about what this means for the rest of the industry, and the pace of the transition from ICE to EV.

The other big takeaway was when it comes to Micro-cars, the Chinese have something for everyone, regardless of your preferred aesthetic. Add in competition for European EV Mirco-cars and future Indian EV Micro-cars, there is no compelling mission related reason for Tesla to rush into this segment.

What is true for Micro-cars is also true for the Chinese design aesthetic more generally, they have something for everyone, and some of it borders on the bizarre. But don't look at the worst examples, look at the best of their cars, in this area they are even closer to matching Tesla.

Very informative thank you for your suggestions! I’m at 67% margin equity which to me means I’m not over their limit, they are just warning me perhaps... I’ll call them!
They upped mine to 60% a month ago. I’m at ~80% and holding off on margin buying for a while.

After-action Report: Wed, Aug 05, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "S&P Watch Continues as Volume Shrinks"

Traded: $7,402,302,520.41 ($7.40 B)
Volume: 4,984,962
VWAP: $1,484.93

Closing SP / VWAP: 100.00%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $276.751B / $173.221B = 159.77%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $277.50B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $165.23B
Nota Bene: Elon's CEO comp. plan 2nd tranche vested July 24, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 51.5% (51st Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 37.2% (42nd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.89% of Short Volume (48th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-08-05.png

Comment: "Groundhog vacation day"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Best EVs in UK:
The best electric cars you can buy for any budget revealed | Daily Mail Online
M3P makes best exec car. They conveniently forgot to mention the SR+.

Apparently a NEW electric car must do 600 miles (11 or 12 hours driving in uk minimum, are they going to Switzerland every day?), recharge in 5 minutes (Vs about 15 minutes in an ice if you add up all the time) and cost less than an old banger (1973 Capri mentioned). It must also be charged up outside terraced houses and flats and have a boot large enough to dispose of several bodies. Also electric cars are part of a plot to use face masks, 5g and fluorine in water to steal a man's essence.

On a positive side, far more comments dispelling the FUD. I clicked up and down arrows but not registering for that rag to comment.

I hate The Daily Hate with a passion. Possibly only surpassed by The Daily Diana.

Meanwhile, good ol’ boy Holman W. Jenkins, Jr. of The Wall Street Journal comes out with this love letter to Tesla...

...correction: not love letter, rather, a hit piece, and not just against Tesla but pretty much against all EVs which seem to deeply offend his precious sensibilities:

Opinion | The Tesla Secret

click if you dare

Dr. Dauger on Jenkins - 2016: Jenkins' Irrationality and Lack of Critical Thinking Regarding Tesla and Jay Leno

Dauger Research: About Dauger Research, Inc.

Biden pitching EVs in a new campaign ad. Not looking to make a political statement, just good to see presidential candidates pushing for American-made EVs. (not that it's surprising I suppose)

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1291111736167211008?s=20
Can you imagine the three month run of:
1. Killer battery day
2. Great P&D for Q3
3. Biden winning and saying that EVs will be a major priority
Don’t know where you are coming from but most, I would say at least 80%, of the posts on this board are from gamblers. I.e., options and short term stock traders. I am quite sick of reading about those who own one (1) call or have sold one put, etc. Who cares? Let’s get back to what this board is all about: investors (long term owners) sharing meaningful information about their investments.
I for one appreciate learning that options have dropped significantly in price and LEAPS might be worth a look

I have a little more cash to invest in TSLA but it appears to be a missed opportunity now. I can't see paying 5x more for the same stock as I did a couple months ago.

Well if you don't think it is going to go up significantly in the future I guess it is time to sell everything you are currently holding. ;)

Last edited:
Meanwhile, good ol’ boy Holman W. Jenkins, Jr. of The Wall Street Journal comes out with this love letter to Tesla...

...correction: not love letter, rather, a hit piece, and not just against Tesla but pretty much against all EVs which seem to deeply offend his precious sensibilities:

Opinion | The Tesla Secret

click if you dare

Only people who support the WSJ with cold hard cash so they can write this kind of hit piece can read that link.

Wait...does that mean you help support the WSJ? :confused:

If you were to plot the amount of time TSLA spends in the red vs. time it spends in the green on days like today, we'd see it probably 95% in the red or larger...even though we essentially close flat.

Is there a better explanation for this other than manipulators just want to make it look to casual observers like TSLA is always in the red?
Not the case today: the Close almost exactly equalled volume weighted average price today (100.005%).

I report this metric every day in "Lodger's After-Action Reports"

#EvidenceVsEmotion

• Informative
Reactions: UCF3