Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What will be positive for TSLA is that it will look cheap again. I can see it go from 330 to 370 a lot easier than from 1650 to 1850, even though these price movements are identical.

Exactly this psychology. Ask 100 random people on the street if a stock is more likely to go from 400 to 800 or 2000 to 4000 and I’ll bet money the majority say the former.

Last edited:
uh....guys. This is far from proof but I'm calling it now. It's ****ing happening.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1294803765367726080?s=21

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 9.54.33 PM.png

I thought it was strange that battery day couldn't just be streamed online. Elon kept insisting there was a lot to see and that he wanted people to be there which was why it kept being delayed. For the batteries I couldn't think of why people would have to be there unless there was a "you gotta see it to believe it" product reveal. The consensus is plaid S and X and I hopefully imagined semis at the battery day as well.
Elon is huge on giving investors actual product to see/feel and touch. He's been like this since the initial Tesla IPO when he insisted on getting butts in prototype vehicles to help sell the company to investors.

So Tesla is likely to show off some cool stuff at battery day.

Seriously, how stupid can a company be? The bailout failed because they were unwilling to accept to produce more electric cars? :rolleyes:o_O

Autonews said:
Jaguar Land Rover also was unwilling to accept decarbonization requirements that would have forced the automaker to accelerate its program of vehicle electrification and phase out the diesel cars that still make up most of its fleet, the Financial Times said, citing a source with knowledge of the discussions.

Seriously, how stupid can a company be? The bailout failed because they were unwilling to accept to produce more electric cars? :rolleyes:o_O
That decision confirms and further accelerates their eventual bankwuptcy.
But fine. The industry needs those that can EVolve.

Edit: Good on UK govt for adding the decarbonization requirements.

Last edited:
I'm really struggling to think of a way in which this could happen. There would have to be really major fundamental fraud going on at the DTCC or something, and would likely not be limited to TSLA.

The possibility I envision is not that anyone is making out like a bandit with the full value of each "fake" share because eventually they have to cover. But if they can go long periods of time floating shares that don't exist by rotating them always to a new buyer then they have effectively increased the float (as long as they can keep the charade up). They could profit from the synthetic shares by increasing the number of them as the price rises and waiting for a downtrend before reducing the number of them. While they are not supposed to to keep any one position for more than a few days (without matching it with real shares), I imagine they may have developed a method to "float" as many of these as their daily trading volume can support. This "breathing" in the number of shares at any given moment could be quite profitable while also allowing them to manipulate prices down at key moments.

No, I don't know the exact method by which they might achieve this but I know there is a lot of "trust" in this business. Notice I didn't say "trust, but verify", just trust. The participants are largely assumed to be responsible adults, lol! So I don't think it's a stretch to think these kind of shenanigans occur.

Welp, they tried and failed. It's a really tough decision if they should try some more. No one is buying the iPace. They sunk way more money into the program than any tax incentive can give them. Welcome to transition hell.

So you're now claiming that saving SCTY was as much to save SpaceX as anything else? Isn't that even further justification to save SCTY then?!?! We wouldn't have Falcon Heavy, nor Starlink, nor BFR if SpaceX got into financial trouble back in 2016!

No, I'm saying that Tesla shareholders paid too much to bail out Solar City. Elon could have waited until it was obvious what was going on at Solar City and then have Tesla swoop in as savior for a lot less money. Tesla would still assume the debt/bonds, but Solar City shareholders would have been left holding the bag they rightfully should have been left holding. SolarCity was not worth $2.6 Billion. Just think how much sooner we'd have GF Shanghai without spending that money on SCTY.

This action hurt Tesla as a company, and those of us who were Tesla shareholders at the time.

Welp, they tried and failed. It's a really tough decision if they should try some more. No one is buying the iPace. They sunk way more money into the program than any tax incentive can give them. Welcome to transition hell.

In Europe Jaguar sold 22,025 vehicles in H1 2020 and 3776 I Paces. That is 17%. That is a great number IMO

Globally, Jaguar sold 47,075 vehicles in H1 2020 and 5436 I Paces. That is 11.5%. That is a good number IMO

I-Pace is getting knocked off the BEV sales leader boards because they are a small brand with a small dealership network. Tesla Model Y,VW Group premium BE CUVs and other big boys are coming to the party now. For most people that refuse to buy a Tesla, given a choice between Audi and Jaguar generically they will choose Audi.

Jaguar's next XJ full size sedan iteration will only be offered as a BEV. No PHEV or ICEv version offered.

Obviously, Jaguar feels they can't transition their mainstream E-Pace and F-Pace CUVs plus their mainstream XE sedan as quickly as the British government would like. Whether it is because they don't see enough demand or they can't acquire the battery cells necessary or they can't substitute enough diesel powertrain manufacturing capability to BEV driveline capability is anyone's guess.

In Europe Jaguar sold 22,025 vehicles in H1 2020 and 3776 I Paces. That is 17%. That is a great number IMO

Globally, Jaguar sold 47,075 vehicles in H1 2020 and 5436 I Paces. That is 11.5%. That is a good number IMO

I-Pace is getting knocked off the BEV sales leader boards because they are a small brand with a small dealership network. Tesla Model Y,VW Group premium BE CUVs and other big boys are coming to the party now. For most people that refuse to buy a Tesla, given a choice between Audi and Jaguar generically they will choose Audi.

Jaguar's next XJ full size sedan iteration will only be offered as a BEV. No PHEV or ICEv version offered.

Obviously, Jaguar feels they can't transition their mainstream E-Pace and F-Pace CUVs plus their mainstream XE sedan as quickly as the British government would like. Whether it is because they don't see enough demand or they can't acquire the battery cells necessary or they can't substitute enough diesel powertrain manufacturing capability to BEV driveline capability is anyone's guess.
You can't sell 5000 cars in 6 months and be profitable when there are very little cross pollination between the ipace and their ICE. It's a money loser and just bleeds money.

It's because they can't make EV's cheaply enough to sell at a profit. They don't even make the iPace (they contract out Magna Steyr to make it for them). :rolleyes: