Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also I'm wondering whether they'll shift test drives to service centers. This has several advantages: there are still people who won't buy without trying, and it also familiarizes prospective owners with service centers.
The letter I read I thought said no more free test drives; now that I re-read it, it seems logical to me that they intend to not offer free test drives, but since it doesn't outright state that, I suppose that is still a mystery, but it seems to me they said they will not offer free test drives any more.

"To achieve these prices while remaining financially sustainable, Tesla is shifting sales worldwide to online only. You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide. We are also making it much easier to try out and return a Tesla, so that a test drive prior to purchase isn’t needed. You can now return a car within 7 days or 1,000 miles for a full refund. Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free. With the highest consumer satisfaction score of any car on the road, we are confident you will want to keep your Model 3."​

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

No. People need to do test drives. Owners need service centers. I fear Tesla's gonna try to keep skirting around the service center issue in states currently banning them (MI, NM, etc) by hiring more Tesla Mobile Technicians. I also fear that if that is the case, we will see the auto dealer cartel shift its strategy to suing Tesla in those states for having mobile technicians. However, I have less fear that Tesla would lose such suits :)
IIRC, some states had conditions that Tesla would have to close the stores once they sold a certain number (in that state) or had a certain percentage of sales. I'm guessing that this move is really targeting those states where they would have to close anyway. That way there won't be any "Tesla forced to close stores". After all, Tesla isn't closing all the stores, only the non-profitable ones (and presumably the ones they would have to close anyway).

No. People need to do test drives. Owners need service centers. I fear Tesla's gonna try to keep skirting around the service center issue in states currently banning them (MI, NM, etc) by hiring more Tesla Mobile Technicians. I also fear that if that is the case, we will see the auto dealer cartel shift its strategy to suing Tesla in those states for having mobile technicians. However, I have less fear that Tesla would lose such suits :)

Are you at all encouraged by the re-stated emphasis on service put forth by Elon / Tesla today?

Elephant in the room. I need to find that Tesla Model 3 elephant comic.
Tusk.jpg

Are you at all encouraged by the re-stated emphasis on service put forth by Elon / Tesla today?

Not really. We have one mobile tech in the whole state, and no doubt soon will pass 1000 owners in the state. A service center outfitted with loaners would be, like, nice. We have a bill pending in the legislature right now. This is going to be an interesting next two weeks to see what happens.

@sokane1
NEW: Tesla does not expect to be profitable in Q1 2019. Profitability “likely” in Q2.

A lot of one-time charges (and changes) this quarter are the reason, Musk says.

Musk answer’s @andyjayhawk’s question about why Tesla ditched Full Self Driving language last fall, and why it’s back. “We werent close enough at that time, and it was creating too much confusion,” Musk says.

Someone asks Musk what the profit margin is on the $35,000 Model 3. Musk laughs. “Yeah, we’re not going to answer that on this call.”

The new Model 3s will available in Europe and China in “three to six months,” according to CEO Elon Musk.

“From the beginning, this has been the goal,” Musk said on a press call about the news. “It’s an incredible car.”

That will mean layoffs, Musk said on the call. “There’s no other way for us to achieve the savings required to make this car and be financially sustainable,” he said. “Unfortunately, it will entail reduction in force on the retail side.”

“My top priority this year is making service amazing,” Musk said.

Musk did announce on the call that long-time reservation holders will get priority for deliveries. “We need to assess how many reservation holders wish to buy [the new cars],” he said.

“I mean, I don’t know what the demand is. We’ll see,” Musk said.
Thanks for the report!

Anyone have link to that call?

President Sanders declares a National Pollution Emergency and decrees Tesla Stores legal in all States by Presidential Order. LOL
That party has found every excuse in the book not to do what they promised with solar panels and electric cars for 40 years. Musk called their bluff. He kept with them, but their bluff was called.