Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure Tesla sold almost all the cars it had. In June they had some in stock at the start. In July, it was the July production minus those in transit.

These articles all assume that you can instantly make complex products. Or the authors are deliberately peddling FUD

I vaguely remember someone mentioning Tesla was shipping cars to other China regions early in the quarter, thus saving closer regions for end of quarter —

Based on your previous post, it seems like you think I think you think the phantom shares/naked shorting are the reason for today's spike? I don't think that's what your first post said, so I don't think you think that. I think your thinking of what I think you think is based on a misunderstanding.

But anyway, that's enough thinking for today. Time for me to go to sleep. I was just stating my opinion, as were you. Let's leave it at that?
If my math is correct, you have 10 "think" in one post :)

I was hoping to grab them at $300, that would have been a steal. Now I guess I’ll buy another 400 shares at $500
I sold a $450 put not that long ago and was sweating it being executed when SP dipped down around $380. Really wish I was sitting on 100 more shares instead of the $45k in cash to cover the put! Funny how our perspective changes so quickly.

Also, I'm an idiot.

Well I wouldn't say as it was a private discussion, but he as pissed the the forum and decided to leave.

Was a couple of days of some tense exchanges, some tempers ran a bit too much, I think.

Hope he returns.
I hope so, too. I like @SpaceCash posts, and I'm especially appreciative of his naked short comment from a few days ago that set off a very enlightening (at least for me) discussion. I spent quite a bit of time looking into naked short selling this past weekend, and I would encourage anyone who is in the stock/bond markets to familiarize themselves with the topic.

Please come back, @SpaceCash

I sold a $450 put not that long ago and was sweating it being executed when SP dipped down around $380. Really wish I was sitting on 100 more shares instead of the $45k in cash to cover the put! Funny how our perspective changes so quickly.

Also, I'm an idiot.
I am a bigger idiot than you

I had 420 shares

Listened to a guy who has been investing for a while and losing a lot of money but he wasn’t telling me he was -40%, and he convinced to sell at $1150 because he said not to be greedy.

I lost 200 grands listening to his advice

• Informative
Reactions: Tslynk67

I had 420 shares

Listened to a guy who has been investing for a while and losing a lot of money but he wasn’t telling me he was -40%, and he convinced to sell at $1150 because he said not to be greedy.

Oh, please. If you think this $450 put thing was the worst TSLA move I've made, you're nuts. I've made FAR worse moves that this in both the SCTY and TSLA worlds. Got you crushed by a country mile. It'll all be in my book.

I had 420 shares

Since you cannot roll back time, you should just be glad that at least you have made good money on TSLA, much better than those who did not even initiate a position. Time to strategize your next move.

Thank you for that reference. I will follow that thread.

I'm not challenging your bona fides, merely pointing out that you and Musk appear to disagree on this matter. This disagreement is of no consequence, because (a) Musk probably won't make such planes despite his obvious stated desire (planes are a crappy business); and (b) people disagree all the time without it ruffling any feathers.

Edit: To what do you attribute this difference of opinion?

I do not disagree with Elon's statements, there are no difference of opinion. I disagree with those who place words in his mouth like 400 or 500 Wh/kg is sufficient for supersonic transcontinental eVTOL. He never said that, he was referring to "normal" electric aircraft.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

I had 420 shares

It's always the case....people tell you about their wins and hardly ever their losses. Professional poker players are quite the opposite though, they won't remember all the huge pots they have taken down, but they can tell you 'every' bad beat they have taken.

Sorry if already posted. China registrations down in July
Tesla's China Registrations Sink in July | The Motley Fool

I marked this news "funny" because you would have to be a Tesla short to think this means they can't sell everyone they can make!

China is a huge country, I suspect the first month of quarter sales are lower due to transit delays as they "prime the pump" by transporting cars to further reaches of the country so they can all be sold in the same quarter they were made. If so, we should see blowout sales numbers by the end of Q3. :)

Oh, that actually happened, kinda.

Early this year, I had an interview with Intel in their "Reverse Engineering Dept" I called it. TSLA rose up (even less than today's price) so I told them I didn't need to work but thanks for the interview and lab tour. Then I bought my wife Canadian Diamonds and felt rich... for a while.

The pullback came quickly... Ooops, burned the Intel bridge. Gifts got smaller, even though I was still up 2x from 2019. That lesson led to my new 50/50 - cash/TSLA strategy by the way. Sure, I left some $ on the table, but the cash buffer had real value, and still does today.

Now, about that Intel group. Over the decades, they had outsourced factory equipment builds, but some suppliers either failed or the equipment spares were too expensive. So Intel created a group to copy the at-risk tools and built them in-house saving millions, lol.

FF to today, and Intel just missed the 6um technology sweetspot mostly bc their tools needed to be a special "Intel way" which only helped push out timelines. This was a common theme as far back as 1985 when I started there. I was personally told this by multiple suppliers. Even our docs required a special person to do mostly formatting of the manuals, dragging timelines and distancing themselves from actual Engineering work. What I once thought were upgrades to get ahead of competition, turned out to be just more delays and higher costs.

I can't help but think this is going to happen again and again in America. Tesla is the one exception who understands vertical integration. Maybe there are some other jewels out there, but hard to say bc Tesla keeps hiring all the top talent, and the smart ones went to contract work for even more pay.
One thing to note...all the top talent 'want' to work for Tesla...so they must interview all the geniuses in the industry.