Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm not sure where CNBC gets the 3K/wk initial production. I think they are conflating that number with initial export rate to China from Fremont (Q1 2019).
I don't believe the initial export rate to China was announced.

However, not making higher-trim models in GF3 should help the current demand.
Also, looks like they are not getting MRs initially similar to Europe if this is correct: Tesla plans to begin Model 3 deliveries to China in March

I also like how the GF3 will make just SRs and be profitable a year from now. This is a nice goal to reach. Even though Sandy Munro said they can easily cut 20% from car cost on labor etc. by going to China.

Last edited:
CNBC just now teased that it will soon cover the Tesla groundbreaking in Shanghai.

The related segment was primarily a discussion about the wisdom of Tesla manufacturing in Shanghai. Their biggest concern was potential Chinese theft of Tesla intellectual property (IP). They seemed to be unaware that Tesla patents have been open sourced for nearly five years, and that unlike the case with other American automakers, Tesla will be allowed to operate a factory in China without a Chinese partner.

Actually he said "Shanghai Giga output is just for greater China, not North America. Affordable cars must be made on same continent as customers."

Ah haha, if we get all quotey what Elon actually tweeted was:
  • "Shanghai Giga production of Model 3/Y will serve greater China region"
    Elon Musk
  • "Shanghai Giga will produce affordable versions of 3/Y for greater China. All Model S/X & higher cost versions of Model 3/Y will still be built in US for WW market, incl China."
    Elon Musk
Notice that you actually dreamed the word "just" into Elon's tweet. But that's okay. The Master Plan Part Deux is coming together nicely, and that's what matters. ;)

Cheers!

Atleast for China - I think they will continue to make higher trims in US - because US made cars command a premium in China ?
I wonder how much that premium is worth. It would be more expensive to make, ship and import (duty and taxes). So on top of all that extra cost, the premium would need to be high enough that Tesla nets incremental profit. Anybody got numbers on this?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the installation of some very hefty pile foundations:

upload_2019-1-7_19-33-21.png

These are what you use when building on really weak, deep sediments. You can build straight into a seabed like this.

Ah haha, if we get all quotey what Elon actually tweeted was:
  • "Shanghai Giga production of Model 3/Y will serve greater China region"
    Elon Musk
  • "Shanghai Giga will produce affordable versions of 3/Y for greater China. All Model S/X & higher cost versions of Model 3/Y will still be built in US for WW market, incl China."
    Elon Musk
Notice that you actually dreamed the word "just" into Elon's tweet. But that's okay. The Master Plan Part Deux is coming together nicely, and that's what matters. ;)

Cheers!

See:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Shanghai Giga output is just for greater China, not North America. Affordable cars must be made on same continent as customers."​

Nope, direct quote: Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 16h16 hours ago

Replying to @jimcramer

Shanghai Giga output is just for greater China, not North America. Affordable cars must be made on same continent as customers.

Maybe the greater China region includes Japan, etc.? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Related to Giga 3, when does everybody expect any announcements about Giga 4 in Europe? With Tesla's new understanding of working capital, and their declared mission to cut the time from production to delivery to under a week worldwide, plans for a factory in Europe should be very high on the priority list.

Personally, I expect it to run 6-12 months behind China.

Related to Giga 3, when does everybody expect any announcements about Giga 4 in Europe? With Tesla's new understanding of working capital, and their declared mission to cut the time from production to delivery to under a week worldwide, plans for a factory in Europe should be very high on the priority list.
Feels to me like Y should be a higher priority with production expected to start in 1 year.
Also, Semi, truck, and roadster all need local CAPEX. I think Europe's GF4 could wait a bit more, unless mostly financed by a local debt similar to GF3.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
Remember, Elon also said Shanghai SR production will supply the Region. So that likely means Korea, Japan, Australia, generally SE Asia.

Elon said " Greater China" in local parlance that means China plus Taiwan,Hong Kong and Macau.

I don't know anyone who includes Korea,Japan,Australia or generally SE Asia as "Greater China." Maybe a few Chinese Generals and Admirals in private.

If cell or batteries or solar panels are not produced, then why call it a Gigafactory?

They plan on eventually producing the batteries for the cars produced there on site.

Hell, I think Tesla should rename Fremont Gigafactory 0... I mean, once it hits production of 500k cars a year it'll be producing approximately one gigagram of EVs per year.... ;)

I don't believe the initial export rate to China was announced.

However, not making higher-trim models in GF3 should help the current demand.
Also, looks like they are not getting MRs initially similar to Europe if this is correct: Tesla plans to begin Model 3 deliveries to China in March

I also like how the GF3 will make just SRs and be profitable a year from now. This is a nice goal to reach. Even though Sandy Munro said they can easily cut 20% from car cost on labor etc. by going to China.
In November Tesla cut its prices in China for the Model S and Model X by 12 to 26 percent in order to make the model more “affordable”—in reaction to the additional tariffs that were levied on U.S imports that made the cars much harder to sell. These official prices for Model 3 likely too reflect such an adjustment, as they're lower than the unconfirmed/projected prices leaked last fall.

Tesla then said that it was absorbing a significant part of the tariff, and said that the matter would force it to speed up investment in its China Gigafactory, to be located near Shanghai.

I don't like the idea of Tesla absorbing a significant part of the tariff LONG-TERM on the X and S. If trade relations don't re-normalize soon, I think Tesla may be pressed into making S and X in China. Musk is sending out signals to contrary right now, but that very well could be political posturing. Trump has a tendency to lash out at companies that move production overseas. So it would be foolish for Musk to provoke political attack on Tesla prematurely. If things don't clear up, then Musk could change his tune and threaten Trump with the prospect of Tesla moving production of high end vehicles to China. But this only becomes a bargaining chip once Tesla has the capability of moving production to China.