Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can understand why especially ferries that spend a good amount of time in ports are installing batteries + hybrid drive trains, so they can maneuver in and around the ports without emissions. But for their power consumption while moored, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just get the power via a cable from the port, like an air plane in an airport?

Oh they do that. I'm just talking about traveling.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and lklundin
Infographics are fun :)
Untitled 1.png

All kinds of chargers are growing at high speed everywhere in the world. China is the leader installing new chargers,
A guy was taking pictures of my Model 3 at the grocery store.

He said he was part of Toyota's supply chain and they were being told by Toyota that everything is going electric and they needed to get on board.

Electric and ICE vehicles' cost parity is coming very soon, but EVs have better performance, better safety, save on gasoline, save on maintenance, more suitable for autonomous driving. It doesn't take a genius to understand the tipping point is coming.

Tesla predict that in the next 10 years, EVs will be supply limited. They don't worry about competition. That's because after the tipping point, demand will go vertical, supply takes time to grow.

They’re also doing more deliveries at GF1. So maybe both expected reduced deliveries following Q4 rush and more focus in Sparks.
The entire premise of CSs insinuation was silly to start with. In Q4 tesla was delivering virtually 100% of their vehicles to NA through what was an admittedly un-optimised process. Now in Q1 the majority of deliveries are intended for overseas delivery - so obviously the aggregate need for deliveries in NA will be lower.

Additionally, the article mentions one facility. We have no ideal how many facilities Tesla has in NA to distribute vehicles - so no-one can say what impact reducing workforce numbers at this site have on Tesla's overall delivery capacity in NA.

While each anecdotal change is worth knowing to be in the best possible position to predict a trend, it is not particularly useful by itself.

Interesting.

As for the Model 3 braking due to its autopilot, I guess we have to take the driver's word for it?
(It seems plausible enough, the driver doesn't seem to look left - and few would do so on a green light).

From that angle of almost 90 degrees to its left, from how far away can the Model 3's sensors detect an oncoming vehicle?
The B pillar cameras see pretty far (what it would use for intersection crossing).
Seeing the world the wrong way in v9

Interesting.

As for the Model 3 braking due to its autopilot, I guess we have to take the driver's word for it?
(It seems plausible enough, the driver doesn't seem to look left - and few would do so on a green light).

From that angle of almost 90 degrees to its left, from how far away can the Model 3's sensors detect an oncoming vehicle?

It can't be in AP, can it? It's the first car at a stop light.

Could still be AEB. Wouldn't wager either way, though.

Last edited:
Reading this article in elektrek and seeing some of the comments made by many of the usual FUD Troll mafia that I assumed were just short the TSLA stock - it dawned on me that perhaps these folks are are actually being supported by big auto. If traditonal OEMs cannot compete with Tesla or at least need some runway to get there - why not pay a few folks to do whatever they possibly can to drag Tesla and Elon musk in the mud.

If you think about the number of jobs threatened by the ongoing BEV disruption that we are following so enthusiastically, then there may not have to be any (additional) reward involved in the bashing.

Or in the words of Upton Sinclair:
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

I have previously suggested that Tesla are TOO GOOD and that this is causing the ramp by other manufacturers to reduce as they are constantly on the back foot. The net affect is that the acceleration is less than it would have been if Tesla were just 200% better than the competition. At the moment, Tesla are off the charts. Better than Apple versus the rest in the early days. I know that this does not go down here well but this is the third time I am saying it and glad I'm not the only one.

This is not a high-school 100m race. This is serious business. Even the most well meaning CEO of any legacy car maker won't be able to convince his tens of thousands of colleagues that serious change is needed.

Kotter speaks of the burning platform to effect change and I believe this will need a burning car industry with (sadly) hundreds of thousands of unemployed workers and billions lost before we will REALLY see lasting change. I came to this conclusion after many long, agonising discussions with Germans from shop-floor workers, to engineers, to managers all the way to the highest level politicians. Tesla is too slow and the pain is not felt enough yet to really make a dent in the mission (yet). The fact that with all of Tesla's successes we never for one second discussed Toyota who is clearly in utter and complete denial that EVs are coming shows me that even we on this board don't appreciate the magnitude of the change at hand (at least not all of us; I probably can't fully appreciate the enormousness fo this transition myself either).

EDIT: don't get me wrong: Tesla's achievements are unparalleled and massive and I agree that they are way ahead of the pack. I just think that DESPITE this enormous success, they are not (yet) big enough of a thread to the legacy folks. I have a hunch the legacy guys still think they will wake up one day and can make this EV nightmare go away - also see @KarenRei and her info chart on EV ambitions...

Last edited:
Reactions: humbaba
Thank you, I missed that. Maybe NA deliveries of M3 are also expected to be less this Q? Particularly considering the mad rush at end of Q4-18 and seasonal variation.

1. Of course NA deliveries are less. Tesla are roughly at a steady state of production of M3s, and suddenly two thirds of them are going overseas.
2. The Las Vegas team are the ones who schedule North American deliveries. They do most of their work well in advance of the actual deliveries. It's easy for them to spread that work out over many weeks, if they have less cars to deliver.
3. The Reuters article quotes unnamed "sources" and mentioned that one of them was a laid-off employee. It also came out after the SA article. In other words, it is probably the same source.