Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are the same folks who probably didn't understand why Amazon was innovating, reducing prices, spending more to drive efficiencies, and expanding their product mix even when there wasn't any competition, at the expense of profits for a couple of decades.

I could be mistaken but I have a feeling that there are many of the players involved in lending money to Tesla who were also lending money to Amazon,

Those are the same folks who probably didn't understand why Amazon was innovating, reducing prices, spending more to drive efficiencies, and expanding their product mix even when there wasn't any competition, at the expense of profits for a couple of decades.
True, but if you’re a traditional big investment firm, it seems a big change of direction. Before, they and many others, were thinking high margins and Apple type skimming of the most lucrative cream of the market.

My guess is that their biggest concern is what will happen to margins, and will the price drops be enough to totally alleviate any demand concerns.

Of the 20+ people to whom I’ve shown my Model 3, only one seemed likely to buy. Although everyone thought it was great and was wowed, the EV hurdle is just too great. They are pretty much fixed into the 5 minute fill up that gas vehicles provide and the familiarity. I always show the Supercharger map and explain, but almost no one has been aware of the range and the Supercharger network and just unable to make that large of a leap.

Disclaimer; I’m talking about the southern U.S.

Based on my understanding of Karpathy's SW 2.0 talk, they retrain the entire NN on every check in of new test cases, labeled data, and features added. So there is no removing of mislearning, rather the old NN is completely discarded and redone.

My personal hope: they then put their NNs in a virtual environment and have have them drive against each other to see if they crash.

I agree, the obvious thing to do is to identify weaknesses in the algorithm, likely through testing or disengagement reports, and then set the global fleet to collect full data of similar situations. This data will be labelled and added to the neural net. Potentially similar situations currently in the neural net will be reviewed and replaced with better examples. After the data set has been refined, then the whole neural net will be retrained. I don't know how many days of training the neural net takes, but multiple are likely to be in training at the same time. The new neural nets will then be tested, potentially in real world, but also in simulation by feeding the full neural net data already collected from the fleet for different driving situations and then quantifying the neural nets response. Just speculation, but this is roughly how I would do it.

Unfortunately, you can also train them *wrong*, and it's really really hard to *retrain* them if you've embedded an incorrect behavior into the NN.

Tesla's NNs are effectively autogenerated from the labeled training data during each re-training run, which is done on a huge cluster. (I suspect they are not using deep learning techniques yet.)

I.e. the old NNs are typically discarded for anything but debug/comparison purposes.

I don't know how long Tesla's training run takes, but I'd expect them to have enough hardware for this to take less than a day, with automatic daily results generated.

Mistakes in the training dataset, bugs or inefficiencies in the training algorithms and labeling processes of course show up in the NN - I think Tesla's AI group uses a significant portion of their time to find such meta problems.

But "mistakes" in one NM don't get carried over into new re-trained networks, unless you are doing something fancy or are cutting corners due to lack of training HW.

Tesla never gets the timing on these right. I think they're doing bettre than before, but they still never seem to get the timing right.

To be fair, I don't think there's ever a good timing to cut the price of a car from €176k to €118k - I bought my MX in September 2017 and I feel quite off about it, so those that just took delivery...

The Tesla share price is now more attractive for potential participants in a privatization deal. Such deep pocket entities may appreciate the plans for new models and configurations, while short-sellers and weak longs moan about them. Elon's renewed battle with the SEC might be motivating him to reconsider privatization.

Totally agree. My conspiracy theory: Looks like a classic Larry E. 'Gorilla Move'. Go Big or Go Home. If it succeeds Tesla becomes the Gorilla and the mission Statement is nearer completion.......If it fails, the SP drops to a point where going private is 'cheap' and Tesla moves on without retail investors to complete the mission.

I prefer the former outcome. I do believe EM cares about the retail investor but he cares more about mission over money (his and ours)

Stopping production kills the growth story explicitly. The stock price can't afford that. Projects that cost cash are effectively stopped. There is, for example, no progress on European production capability. Gigafactory 2 is by all means lagging in output. Service improvements have been promised for two quarters already, yet spare parts inventory decreased. Depreciation and amortization is higher than projected capital expenditures...

How does it makes sense that they are at a point that profit is a concern? Q3 and Q4 proved that their steady state model is making ample profit. If Q1 is just a temporary blip due to filling the pipeline, then don't care about profit in Q1 and just reap billions in Q2. To me, the drastic, permanent, change between Q3/Q4 last year and today means something fundamentally changed making the business model of Q3/Q4 not effective anymore.

Do you think the following are insufficient to explain this? Because I think the following are sufficient to explain it:
1 -- tax credit pullforward of demand (well documented phenomenon) means they were running above steady-state US demand in Q4, and are runinng below steady-state US demand in Q1
2 -- The $35K model was a longstanding promise and the company's credibility depended upon actually getting it out the door, preferably before the $3750 tax credit goes away.

Yes, I believe Q1 is essentially a blip due to filling the pipeline *and* the tax credit pullforward effect. However, I think Musk finally took a good look at the stores and said "We are spending how much on these and how much value are they adding" and the answers were "a lot" and "very little". I mean, I may be biased because I've actually been saying that for years.

Tesla definitely doesn't have as much cash as they would like; there's no cash for starting a European Gigafactory or a Model Y Factory or a Semi Factory at the moment. They should have enough to expand service (I do know this is happening; and the wait times for spare parts have dropped by fixing the logistics) and Superchargers.

From your link
Current is the number of electrons passing a point in a given amount of time.
Drift velocity is analogous to a river: A wide river has a lower flow speed for the same volume than a narrow river does. A fast moving river has more water molecules passing at a time. However, water is not-compressible whereas a wire has way more electrons than the number moving due to current.
Perhaps a better example is gas through an orifice. More flow is more molecules, due to higher density, but they are still moving at the speed of sound (until the chamber pressure on Merlin or Raptor get high enough, then it goes supersonic and non-compressible and starts increasing the exhaust velocity, thus imparting more momentum onto the Falcon/ Starship, but I digress).

More electrons does not mean faster electrons. Or I'm wrong, physics was a while ago :)

Great first post. Greatly incorrect, that is. The speed of the individual electrons is actually quite small, but the charge of one moving pushes against the next one and moves it too. So the movement propagates quickly, allowing current to flow. And the amount of current has nothing at all to do with the speed (which mostly depends on voltage), because most of those electrons are literally moving in parallel, which is why a wider wire can carry more current.

How then do I read here Drift velocity - Wikipedia"
Drift velocity is proportional to current.
Also, look at Wikipedia's example:
u = I/(nAq)

with:
u: avg velocity of electrons (m/s)
I: current, (ampere, coulomb per sec)
n: avg electrons per m^3
A: wire cross section (m^2)
q: charge of an electron (-1.6e-19 coulomb)

So:
- more electrons does (indeed) not mean faster electrons, but more current does, which was the point I was making.
- the number of electrons in the wire is fixed (not-compressible, like mongo's river)

TL;DR: I stand by my statement :)

Just now: Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2019-3-4_21-39-50.png

I thought about it a bit and then grabbed a few screen shots of some store concentrations in the US and London.
Jesus, that's terrible. Massive overdeployment of stores.

Frankly the stores needed to be cut back period. It's a no brainer and I wonder why they had so many to start with. I think every claim about why they're cutting them are excuses to make the fired employees feel better.

One per metropolitan area is more than enough.

One thing I am gleaning about the stock market in my short term experience so far of investment & trading is that the market often reacts far more slowly to news than I would have expected. It’s as if they wait for a stock analyst’s report to decide on action, even though they may have been aware of the news for a day or two
Or am I misguided?

One thing I am gleaning about the stock market in my short term experience so far of investment & trading is that the market often reacts far more slowly to news than I would have expected. It’s as if they wait for a stock analyst’s report to decide on action, even though they may have been aware of the news for a day or two
Or am I misguided?
Tutes and shorts dumping, then stop losses get hit, then longs get exhausted and sell low to the tutes who drive it back up

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Unfortunately, you can also train them *wrong*, and it's really really hard to *retrain* them if you've embedded an incorrect behavior into the NN. This is the problem with the way almost everyone is doing their "automated driving". They need super-experts in safe driving to be telling them *what the NN should be doing*; they do not have them; so they are mistraining their neural networks. Those mistrainings are going to be a complete bear to remove.

Most likely they will have to scrap and replace the data set at least once (more, I think they've already done it at least once with the HW changes).

I *think* you’re referring more to incorrect data polluting the dataset, not actually retraining a network. Other than very small scale refinements, you don’t typically retrain an already trained network. You’d just start over with randomized weights and train from scratch(usually training many different versions with different hyper parameters at once and choosing the best one).

My personal hope: they then put their NNs in a virtual environment and have have them drive against each other to see if they crash.

The problem here is that SGD is going to find the quickest way to solve the problem it’s given. For any kind of simulation, that’ll likely mean overfitting to the particular parameters of the simulation, with any deviation from those causing it to completely break down.

Reactions: neroden
Or am I misguided?

For most retail investors, you're probably right - we're an exception here as we live and breathe Tesla.

Other other end of things are the tradingbots that almost instantly buy and sell based on headlines - given the amount of BS FUD around these days, that has no doubt initiated some sales.

OT

How then do I read here Drift velocity - Wikipedia"
Drift velocity is proportional to current.
Also, look at Wikipedia's example:
u = I/(nAq)

with:
u: avg velocity of electrons (m/s)
I: current, (ampere, coulomb per sec)
n: avg electrons per m^3
A: wire cross section (m^2)
q: charge of an electron (-1.6e-19 coulomb)

So:
- more electrons does (indeed) not mean faster electrons, but more current does, which was the point I was making.
- the number of electrons in the wire is fixed (not-compressible, like mongo's river)

TL;DR: I stand by my statement :)
Being proportional to current does not impact the speed of the electrons that cross the measurement point. For a fixed resistance, voltage is also proportional to current, but also does not impact speed...
Picture a river feeding a lake feeding a river. A single water molecule will take years to get from river to river (drift velocity with large crosssection), but the outlet stream flows at the same rate whether the lake is there or not.
Increasing current reduces the time an individual molecule spend in the lake, but also the speed, because water in not compressible.

The number of electronics is fixed, but they do not all need to move to create flow (in a normal sized wire). So the velocity of the electrons is independent of the current/ number of them moving.