Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's assume that Tesla achieves reliable level 5 FSD or even super good level 4. If the other players have nothing there is little chance that Tesla will be given free regulatory rein. Regulators will wait for at least some of the competitors to catch up. Ugh.

Good Level 4 capability would at least be great Level 2 capability, which, as long as it's relatively cheap, would still be a winner.

But as this point, Tesla does not have Level 3, and given that his track record of predictions on when they'll have it is, being very generous, very, very wrong, it's best to ignore whatever he Tweets on the matter and wait until they can actually deliver something in a wide release.

Other companies have better, geofenced and limited and/or very expensive systems.

But we are at least past peak hype and more focused on realities.

• Funny
Reactions: humbaba
Q&A is absolutely pre-vetted, everyone knows what questions are going to be asked and you prepare for it.

Anyways answers are public and absolutely used by analysts to update their models.

The Q&A is absolutely not pre-vetted. The questions asked to Tesla are not known ahead of time. Best practices for management is to rehearse and go through a potential Q&A before the live call. Only the participants themselves are pre-vetted during the call. Once the operator opens the call for questions, Tesla IR will order up the callers which are usually pre-determined.

Following the public conference call through the next day, best practices is for companies to have follow up calls with analysts and buyside firms to ask additional questions. I'm not sure if Tesla does this though, they may not.

But that's what I'm saying. If she's leaning favorable to Musk after reading the briefs present before her, then because SEC has waved the hearing, it is unnecessary for Musk to have a hearing. Unless procedure is procedure. I mean why would it be necessary to grant Musk the hearing, if she is now deciding to rule in his favor (big IF)?

As I keep reminding myself when it comes to Tesla (and has shown to be the case for a long time):

Think of the most logical outcome and then expect the opposite to happen.

Went to my Tesla store today to test drive a Model 3. Never drove one before. I like it better than my S. It’s so nimble. And not having a display behind the steering wheel isn’t as bad as I thought. The main screen is surprisingly close to your face.

They have 10 cars sold and ready for delivery today. A lot of people already picked up in the morning so sales are def picking up this month.

Our favorite guy Anton Wahlman is back with another hit piece of FUD: No News Isn't Good News for Tesla Stock in Elon Musk's Fight With the SEC

re no response yet to Tesla’s request, I am cautiously optimistic that the Judge is in the

“the only way what I’m seeing from these two parties makes sense is if there’s much more going on here than I thought. I need to dig deeper.

This is what happened when the NYT Public Editor stepped into trying to resolve tension with Tesla and NYT writer John Broder. A few days we heard nothing from pub editor as she dug deeper. fwiw, in that case the arbiter moved from siding reflexively with Broder (as she said herself was her initial inclination) to realizing Musk/Tesla had legitimate points.

Total. Shitshow.

This is what I think every time one of our "ambassadors" in Europe steps in it again, and also when I read about "advances" in "trade" "negotiations". "Ha" "ha" "ha". The man and his/our shitshow must be consigned to the dustbin of hysteria, and we Americans must be cognizant of the fact that the previously unimaginable damage wrought will not all be reversed or quickly forgotten [nor should it].

I really think this matters here too - when a Brexit update pops up, remember our President actually wants to split Europe. I'd love to see him attempt to scale Pointe du Hoc.

Last edited:
Political leanings should have very little to do with like/dislike of EVs and/or Tesla. BUT ...

The Left should love Tesla because of renewable energy, and often they don’t because they don’t like Elon or they don’t want more cars of any kind or who knows. The right should like Tesla because USA company and free enterprise etc but many are in the pockets of oil companies, some think that Tesla only exists because of tax subsidies and are unaware of the massive oil company subsidies, and some of the good ole boys think that Tesla is highfalutin’ and not down home, Elon smoked dope, and some of them even think it is a foreign company. The libertarians should embrace Tesla with gusto because they despise government subsidies of business as distorting the market and holding back innovation (I am personally very sympathetic to this one), but maybe a lot of them have bought into the EV subsidy narrative.

Sigh.

For perspective, I believe that what in the USA is considered 'left' and 'right' is in Europe both considered 'right'.

Well, I guess a complete outlier, the extremist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez could be in the political center, like a moderate social democrat.

Our favorite guy Anton Wahlman is back with another hit piece of FUD: No News Isn't Good News for Tesla Stock in Elon Musk's Fight With the SEC
I read that. I don't like the author. He's made a number of grossly inaccurate claims in the past. Always some Tesla killer around the corner with him. However, one point he makes is that the current delay in the sur-reply is because of a "NO" response, which would take longer to draft than a YES response. On the other hand, like I said, the judge may be getting ready to issue a ruling in favor of Musk (lower probability though I think). Though if she was leaning against Musk, I don't understand why she wouldn't allow a simple 10 page response that was to be submitted by Friday. That would put to rest any impartiality or full consideration issues. Really not sure what to make of this delay.

Can somebody call the judge and ask her? ;)

So I went looking for GNI per capita. Ireland is still 7th globally ahead of Denmark.

List of countries by GNI (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia
upload_2019-3-20_10-42-20.png

Agreed with this; Wall Street might be, I think, doing the right thing here. They're pricing the company based on multiples caused by a recession...which Tesla could potentially cause...

Auto companies usually work off of 2-5% profit margins and build off of high volume. If that volume drops...well, they go bankrupt. So, what are the market effects on the economy and civilization overall on the drastic change to its backbone? Tesla is scaling incredibly fast and there's definitely concerns about the economic impact on two of some of the biggest (and most important) industries on the planet: Oil and Auto...and what mostly every person on the planet does daily: go from Point A to Point B.

Thoughts, anyone?