Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, dear chap, I thought everyone knew this page - it's the default destination when the SP is red to cheer ones-self up:

Tesla Registration Stats

Everytime I see a Norway sales #, I am curious what Norway pension fund is doing. They have $1T to invest and i heard they got rid of some oil holdings recently. Tesla is an energy play, a high tech play and can be put into other categories as well. 5% of tsla is only a little bit more than $2B, 0.2% of their asset, a very reasonable holding allocation. If they announce this, SP will be easily $380+.

Maybe their fund managers will not avoid the idea until they see M3 everywhere. Norwegian friends, maybe it is your time to call a friend.

Another tent or GF2 ? :p

Seriously, I can't wait for the Maxwell acquisition and using their tech to also reduce the floor space required on the Pana side.

EDIT: Just in time :D

Tesla’s New Chairman Says Elon Musk Uses Twitter ‘Wisely’

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ..
I admit it, that article pisses me off. They neglect entirely the primary defense that the tweet was not material and state that the SEC was forced to impose "protocols" which is a mischaracterization of what happened. The impression the author intends to leave is that the new chair of the board is willing to go down with crazy Musk.

I should know better than to read anything on Bloomberg, I really should.

If you read more about the system that's proposed, it's more of a suggestion than enforcement for the speed limit. It can be overridden by... Pressing the accelerator pedal. Or may have an on/off switch allowing the user to simply disable the system altogether.

"The speed limiter device, called intelligent speed assistance (ISA), uses GPS data and sign recognition cameras to detect speed limits where the car is travelling, and then will sound a warning and automatically slow the vehicle down if it is exceeding the limit."

there are so many problems with this. there is zero chance of this making it into production.

1. it's going to be redundant with many systems already built into cars by 2022.
2. it's literally pointless, since it can be overridden at will by the driver.
3. it's a third-party device that will somehow interact with the software and hardware of every manufacturer's vehicle, by interfacing with its throttle detection and speed controls? yeah right. what could possibly go wrong?
4. it's going to have it's OWN set of cameras, GPS receivers, and functioning neural net to detect road signs and other speed limit indicators? lololol. good luck with that, EU regulators.

this is never happening.

OT

"However, drivers will be able to override the device simply by pushing hard on the accelerator..."

That's the disturbing part:

Under the new rules, cars will also be fitted with compulsory data recorders, or "black boxes".

So if you have an accident, the police and your insurance company will know whether you've been going too fast. If you've been keeping your foot down and routinely ignoring the car's warnings, they may take a very dim view of your actions.

They can start collecting data with good intentions, but then it can be used in a ways we won't necessary "like".

Reactions: AndyH and X Fan
OT

Under the new rules, cars will also be fitted with compulsory data recorders, or "black boxes".

So if you have an accident, the police and your insurance company will know whether you've been going too fast. If you've been keeping your foot down and routinely ignoring the car's warnings, they may take a very dim view of your actions.

They can start collecting data with good intentions, but then it can be used in a ways we won't necessary "like".

i thought all modern cars already had this anyway.

Reactions: eloder and neroden
I wouldn't be worried about Elon losing the CEO position or stepping down, so long as he is replaced by an insider like Jerome or JB who understand the urgency of Tesla's mission. I'm sure Elon would still lead engineering, vision and product roadmap and still have a lot of influence over strategy.
Let's not pretend the stock price wouldn't take a major hit if Elon was forced to step down.

This experience is around Ithaca or somewhere else?

Around (but not in) Ithaca. Not downtown or at the colleges. Generally on the rural two-lane state highways, for whatever reason. People speeding to and from town (to and from work? I don't know). Some of the roads are worse than others. The expressway (I-81) is bad too, though not as bad.

Boston was worse though :-( And NYC was even worse than Boston :-(

I wonder, do they still have drivers' ed in schools in California? They stopped having it in NY in the 1990s.

Last edited:
Reactions: humbaba
OT

But now we're getting into the facts being mis-reported and mis-interpreted by the press, who just want more clicks. Don't fall for it!

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
All new UK cars to have speed limiters by 2022 under EU plans

Wow....saw this on Guardian today.

EU proposes to control vehicles speeds by 2022.

That could hurt Tesla sales.

I'd be very surprised if this were to happen - there are scenarios where it's necessary to exceed the speed limit and could endanger life if unable to do so.

In any case, the fun in a Tesla is getting to the legal speed limit faster than everyone else, not necessarily exceeding it.

If you read more about the system that's proposed, it's more of a suggestion than enforcement for the speed limit. It can be overridden by... Pressing the accelerator pedal. Or may have an on/off switch allowing the user to simply disable the system altogether.

Yeah, it's basically just a requirement for having some portion of the pedal travel be zero-acceleration, with that portion being determined by the speed limit. Heck, if the owner had the ability to choose that this happen at some amount relative to the speed limit - say, 5-10 kph over - I'd welcome this as a feature. And use it even if it wasn't mandatory. Call it "speeding ticket prevention mode" ;)

(I'd also like a broader zero-acceleration pedal travel around the neutral point so you don't have to finely thread between accel and regen, or shift into neutral, if you want to coast)

And while I'm adamantly opposed to outright hardware limitations against going over the speed limit, I would support reasonable limitations on how much faster than the speed limit you can go. E.g. if someone is driving 116mph in a 30mph zone, like those teens who got killed.... come on, limiting speeds in a 30mph zone to 60mph is not some sort of terrible imposition... or if the car is going so fast that it knows it's about to jump on a hill or couldn't possibly make a curve, or something like that. Maybe have some "Emergency Override" option which makes your cars lights all flash and your horn constantly blare a siren sound when it's engaged, but apart from that....

Obviously, places with no speed limits (Autobahn, tracks, etc) would have no limits.

Last edited:
"The speed limiter device, called intelligent speed assistance (ISA), uses GPS data and sign recognition cameras to detect speed limits where the car is travelling, and then will sound a warning and automatically slow the vehicle down if it is exceeding the limit."

there are so many problems with this. there is zero chance of this making it into production.

1. it's going to be redundant with many systems already built into cars by 2022.
2. it's literally pointless, since it can be overridden at will by the driver.
3. it's a third-party device that will somehow interact with the software and hardware of every manufacturer's vehicle, by interfacing with its throttle detection and speed controls? yeah right. what could possibly go wrong?
4. it's going to have it's OWN set of cameras, GPS receivers, and functioning neural net to detect road signs and other speed limit indicators? lololol. good luck with that, EU regulators.

this is never happening.

The rules do not require that the hardware be third party. They're just being added to the list of features that cars must have, in the same way that cars must have seatbelts and ABS.

Tesla already does most of what they're requiring; meeting these requirements will be extremely easy for Tesla. Not so much for many of its competitors.

I think they are cell constrained too. But they have been holding off on expanding the factory until they close on the Mazwell deal. The expansion will include new Maxwell cell production lines that most likely will be used for the Semi & Roadster, Model Y and somehow mixed in with Model 3.

I don't think the Maxwell tech is production ready for cells, unless what Maxwell presented wasn't the whole story. So even once Tesla completes the purchase I think it will be at least a year before they start production of dry-electrode cells. They will need more cell capacity before that, so they need to start building now.

I'd be very surprised if this were to happen - there are scenarios where it's necessary to exceed the speed limit and could endanger life if unable to do so.

In any case, the fun in a Tesla is getting to the legal speed limit faster than everyone else, not necessarily exceeding it.

The Middle East has a 120kph warning chime... You can go faster, but reportedly you wouldn't want to...

Yeah, it's basically just a requirement for having some portion of the pedal travel be zero-acceleration, with that portion being determined by the speed limit. Heck, if the owner had the ability to choose that this happen at some amount relative to the speed limit - say, 5-10 kph over - I'd welcome this as a feature. And use it even if it wasn't mandatory. Call it "speeding ticket prevention mode" ;)

(I'd also like a broader zero-acceleration pedal travel around the neutral point so you don't have to finely thread between accel and regen, or shift into neutral, if you want to coast)
That's exactly how I use TACC in my Model 3. I use it all the time on surface streets around town. A great stress relief and I never have to worry about exceeding the speed I set.

Dan

I don't think the Maxwell tech is production ready for cells, unless what Maxwell presented wasn't the whole story. So even once Tesla completes the purchase I think it will be at least a year before they start production of dry-electrode cells. They will need more cell capacity before that, so they need to start building now.
I thought the Maxwell acquisition was dead in the water. Is that not the case?

Dan

• Disagree
Reactions: Tslynk67
Yes, I am worried that any mass presence by Tesla fans will only add to the "cult" status of supporters held by the media and general public. Just quietly let the judge make her ruling and then we all can talk about it here.

Dan

Now we’re scared to show our support? They already think we’re a cult, so not showing public support suddenly change their minds? Um...no. Hell, no.

Ridiculous thought process and you’ve now let *them* dictate what you do or don’t do for *appearances* sake. Screw that.

Wear your hats and t-shirts and flaunt the fact you support Tesla and Elon Musk. Power to the people and all that. Flood the courtroom, pack it lime sardines and let *them* all know you will not go away, you will not hide, you will not behave the way *they* want you to.

Nobody is suggesting we walk in there and start a riot, but neither should we hide and submit.

Respect the court and its process AND show your support for Tesla and Elon Musk.