Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a strong belief it will dip with the Q1 report. Nothing that I’ve seen or read leads me to believe there will be a surprise positive. Not that it’s not possible, just that the scenario for a dip is more likely.
I want to look into previous earnings where we were trading near the bottom of the range going into an earnings report that was widely expected to be bad. I think I remember a couple times where we actually climbed after the ER.

Have to figure that if luv's model is correct we have a chance to breakdown out of this falling wedge. Ugly.

luvb2b thinks margins were bad. I can't buy that argument, at all. 75D's death vastly improved S+X margins, and the price cuts didn't come close to offsetting this averaged across the quarter. Even when you add in higher depreciation-per vehicle due to the lower volume, I just can't buy that notion. M3's mix was far richer than in Q4 (over a third at least AWD, over half at least LR - plus whatever LR and AWD sold outside EU and China - vs. mostly MR in Q4). Again, this should be more than offsetting the reduced prices and lower overseas margins. Then you have another quarter of general margin improvements - and we saw how much Tesla improved margins quarter-over-quarter in '18 (or in Q4, sustained them despite moving to a significantly lower ASP). This affects S+X too - paint, for example, supposedly became much more efficient in late Q4. Raw material prices are down as well.

I just don't buy the low margin notion. But we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I also expect a bad ER (like pretty much everyone, bull and bear). No rose-coloured glasses for me. I just don't expect the sort of numbers you get when you assume bad margins.

(I also suspect the market reaction will strongly be affected by what margins Tesla posts, because they'll affect their models for the rest of the year)

Last edited:
You know a few years back they said you couldn't land rockets and reuse them. It wasn't pretty early on as SpaceX tried to figure it out. There were crashes and explosions but they kept making progress. It didn't happen overnight but here we are. Landing rockets is now routine. I don't know any more about creating a FSD system than I do about landing rockets, but I have seen substantial progress in Autopilot over the last couple of years. The divorce from MobilEye was a hiccup that delayed things several years, but it looks like Tesla is making solid progress now after replacing the MobilEye vision system with their own. I'm excited to see how it's working with the new computer. I believe (it really is a belief right now) that Tesla IS further along than just about everyone thinks they are. I'm not saying that I think we will all be sleeping in our cars next year, but I think there is going to be a large step jump in the technology over the next 18 months.

If Tesla pulls off FSD without MobileEye, then the split was worth it. Tesla can keep all those profits instead of sharing with MobileEye.

Have to figure that if luv's model is correct we have a chance to breakdown out of this falling wedge. Ugly.
His model was done before the Fiat news came out - ofcourse, we don't know if any of the revenue is in Q1. Amount of EAP/FSD revenue is one more big unknown. I'm looking at -2.24 EPS as the low number.

<not an advice>
In anycase, I'm sure the market and media will find plenty of ammunition in the Q1 ER to say Tesla is in trouble. So, I'm not going to buy any calls for this ER.
</not an advice>

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
luvb2b thinks margins were bad. I can't buy that argument, at all. 75D's death vastly improved S+X margins, and the price cuts didn't come close to offsetting this averaged across the quarter. Even when you add in higher depreciation-per vehicle due to the lower volume, I just can't buy that notion. M3's mix was far richer than in Q4 (over a third at least AWD, over half at least LR - plus whatever LR and AWD sold outside EU and China - vs. mostly MR in Q4). Again, this should be more than offsetting the reduced prices and lower overseas margins. Then you have another quarter of general margin improvements - and we saw how much Tesla improved margins quarter-over-quarter in '18 (or in Q4, sustained them despite moving to a significantly lower ASP). This affects S+X too - paint, for example, supposedly became much more efficient in late Q4. Raw material prices are down as well.

I just don't buy the low margin notion. But we'll see.

In Norway Tesla was still delivering 75D models at the end of Q1. In fact they are still delivering them in Q2. There are also still a lot of 75Ds in stock in The Netherlands (registered in 2018 for fiscal reasons). I hope US sales were mostly 100D (LR) and '85D' (battery limited LR).

I don't sell. My extra in the over-producing months goes to my "bank", which I can use in under-producing months. So, if your system is sized appropriately, there's no need to save anything to the battery. And Tesla had to work w/ utility company to get my 12-months usage, because they are not allowed to give you more than 10-15% plus panels than your usage - so you can't really over-produce by a lot.
In California with NEM2, there is no longer a plus 10% limit. We are now able to install as much as we please.

On the return leg of a road trip from Seattle to SF Bay Area. I'm at the Supercharger at Grant's Pass, OR and on the way up from the Bay I counted no less than 4 car carriers loaded with mostly 3's but also a few S and X heading north. Looks like this quarter's North American deliveries are well underway.

Oh God, I'm going to arrive in Portland right into the teeth of their rush hour. Just kill me now. :(
Have fun on 205... be glad you have a great sound system!

In Norway Tesla was still delivering 75D models at the end of Q1. In fact they are still delivering them in Q2. There are also still a lot of 75Ds in stock in The Netherlands (registered in 2018 for fiscal reasons). I hope US sales were mostly 100D (LR) and '85D' (battery limited LR).

If they were delivering 75Ds, then they were buying them at Q4 prices (or the first 13 days of Q1). So what's the problem? That would also imply that some 100Ds and P100Ds delivered then were also sold at Q4 prices.

Reactions: lklundin and oneday
Musk met with Modi? Confirmed that they'll enter India in 2019? Well, that's news, if this is accurate... Unsourced, just a picture:

नमो on Twitter

D4KUwx8UcAAO7ox.jpg

Last edited:
Was expecting them to say they couldn't come to agreement. Still might not be able to, but this is slightly positive, if a bit annoying as an investor. Now we continue waiting...

My take as well. Mild positive. Both parties think that reaching a resolution on their own without requiring the court to rule is possible.

E.g. the SEC could have just done this negotiation earlier rather than dragging Elon into court and then getting told to negotiate by the judge. :Þ At least the reasonableness pants fit.

Question for LEAP option experts.... I bought a lot of LEAPS last December with Jan 2020 exp., 250SP. They are currently down 57%. If the stock quickly recovers to 350, I'll be ok. But if it doesn't, when is the best time to roll them to 2021 before time decay starts to really get me? Also do "wash sales" rules apply to rolling options?

Again, more hypothetical scenarios about future updates. We’ve seen plenty of bold promises from Elon, this is no different. No doubt they’ll show something cool....but translating it to real world meaningful changes is likely years away. That’s why the market doesn’t price in their autopilot division.
I disagree. Yes, Elon has hyped this event over the last couple of weeks, but Tesla has been working pretty quietly for several years now on FSD. There has been hardly a peep about where they are with the tech until now. I think it's a good idea to keep expectations in check, but I also think this event will show some impressive progress.